ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity Episcopal Wins D2 title

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Trinity Episcopal was crowned VISAA D2 State champions after defeating St Anne's-Belfield 20-10. It was the 1st State football championship for the Titans who won both of their playoff games on the road. Senior Jack Freudenthal scored all three Trinity Episcopal touchdowns while gaining a combined 192 yards in total offense finishing with 122 rushing yards and 70 receiving yards.

"I told Jack for one game you are my horse," Trinity Episcopal head coach Sam Mickens said. "I'm going to put it in your hands. When you a guy like that you give him the ball. I know when I bet of Freudenthal I'm not going to lose."

The Titans usually rely on a vertical passing attack but they proved they can also run the football effectively.

"it was a great team effort," Freudenthal said. "I normally play slot but coach moved me to running back for this game. I wanted the ball in my hand because the last time we played them I didn't get any touches. So in this game I got more touches and it led to great plays."

The win was a complete turnaround from the 40-point loss the Titans suffered at the hands of the Saints less than six weeks ago. Trinity Episcopal picked off four passes and forced five turnovers including three inside the redzone.

Trinity Episcopal put the first points on the board taking the opening kickoff and driving 62-yards for a touchdown on a 6-yard run from Freudenthal. A tipped pass led to a pick by Rimoni Dorsey who returned the interception 45-yards to the St Anne's-Belfield 7-yard line. Freudenthal looked like a man among powering in from 1-yard out. The extra point by Will Michael game the Titans a 13-0 lead with 1:31 to go in the 1st quarter.

"They are built to stop the pass," Trinity Episcopal head coach Sam Mickens said about the Saints defense. "They have the best athletes I have seen on the backside so we didn't want to throw into that sharks den.

St Anne's-Belfield's finally got untracked with a 42-yard pass from quarterback Lee Parkhill to Campbell Miller gave the Saints a 1st down at the Trinity Episcopal 30 -yard line. Parkhill scrambled 29-yards down to the 4-yard line but he was stripped from the ball by Dorsey ending the threat. The Saints forced a 3-and-out and received the ball at the Titans 31-yard line but they had to settle for a 34-yard field goal from Patrick Blake after the drive stalled. The Titans led 13-3 at halftime.

Jalen Harrison provided a spark to start the second half by first returning the opening kickoff to the Trinity Episcopal 19-yard line and returning a punt inside Trinity Episcopal territory; however both drives ended with interceptions. The Titans then drove 80 yards in 12 plays with Freudenthal running in from 12 yards to extend the lead to 20-3 with less than a minute to go in the 3rd quarter.

It didn't take long fro St Anne's-Belfield to cut the lead in half. Harrison made a great catch and run for a 34-yard completion down to the Titans 1-yard line and Parkhill went over the left guard for a touchdown. The Saints had two more opportunities but a Justin Jasper interception killed one drive and a turnover on downs finished the final ditch effort.

This post was edited on 11/15 8:42 AM by wgarlick

Trinity Episcopal STATE CHAMPS

Great season Titans, going 4 - 1 against D2 playoff teams. Beating NSA once, Bishop Sullivan Twice, and going 1 and 1 against STAB, winning the one that counted!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT