ADVERTISEMENT

Upsets Friday?

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Who yall have?

1.) Danville @ JF? If GW RUNS THE D*MN BALL, they’ll have a shot.
2. Gainesville over Colonial Forge? Gainesville is a new school and Forge has been a very good program over the last decade. We’ll see.
3. Glen Allen over Oscar Smith? Probably has the best shot. I think this will probably be the best 1st round game in Virginia.

I agree with you @BoKnowsSports. Te Oscar Smith vs. Glen Allen game has the potential to be a tight one. Both teams are young and getting better. Glen Allen with the win.

GW has a punchers chance. The Eagles must avoid shooting themselves in the foot on offense and stop the run on defense. The interior line matchup is key and GW stud K. Dixon must deliver a few knockout shots on defense. I like it, but I just don't see it.

My upset pick is Godwin over Louisa. I want to see the Lions win this one, but I just think Louisa's youth and Godwins physicality could create some issues. Both coaches have playoff experience so pushing the right buttons may be the key. Give me Godwin in a squeaker.

Edit: I watched some more game film on Louisa. They have good size on both lines and they have matured since the last time I watched them. I may have jumped the gun on this one, but oh well.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call it an upset because they’re district opponents but Powhatan over Huguenot. Played them tough the first game. Powhatan has the coaching experience on there side it wouldn’t surprise me if the snuck out a win 20-13

Who yall have?

1.) Danville @ JF? If GW RUNS THE D*MN BALL, they’ll have a shot.
2. Gainesville over Colonial Forge? Gainesville is a new school and Forge has been a very good program over the last decade. We’ll see.
3. Glen Allen over Oscar Smith? Probably has the best shot. I think this will probably be the best 1st round game in Virginia.
I like the GW pick

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I wouldn’t call it an upset because they’re district opponents but Powhatan over Huguenot. Played them tough the first game. Powhatan has the coaching experience on there side it wouldn’t surprise me if the snuck out a win 20-13
I agree. Hard to beat a team twice when they are fairly closely matched.

Yeah BN, I think you jumped the gun. The Louisa team now, is far more disciplined than the early season Lions. The talent has been there, but they kept shooting their self in the foot.

I know this is not the OS team we were used to, but I like them over GA because of experience in big games.

Long shot upset #1, Hanover over KG.
Long shot upset #2, CH over LT

I like the GW pick
Wikki GW has 3 very good RBs and one of the better lines that they’ve had in a while. Gotta run the ball and eat up clock. They’d probably be 8-2 if they stuck to their strength this year.

Reactions: wikki
The only real bad game hopewell played this season was matoaca, I can say they just were going through the motions and the best game they played in my opinion was Thomas Dale even though they lost 28-24. So if they are healthy and focus I think they will roll. But I don't think they will face any team that will be better than dinwiddie, Dale or matoaca in the C3 playoff unit probably the finals.

Wikki GW has 3 very good RBs and one of the better lines that they’ve had in a while. Gotta run the ball and eat up clock. They’d probably be 8-2 if they stuck to their strength this year.
They seemed to have really improved since the Amherst game. That was Amherst best game. They also had their QB.

I would agree @wikki. GW has played much better since their first three games. No disrespect to the Lancers, but GW blew their toe off against Amherst and Dinwiddie for that matter.

@BoKnowsSports, I have seen a major improvement in the Eagles run game and offense since game one. Against Dinwiddie they had -6 yards rushing and 38 yards passing (32 yards total). I know we disagree on this, but GW has already faced the best running attack in Class 4 and east of Lynchburg, so JF's excellent line play and rb's should not overwhelm the Eagles defense.

I would agree @wikki. GW has played much better since their first three games. No disrespect to the Lancers, but GW blew their toe off against Amherst and Dinwiddie for that matter.

@BoKnowsSports, I have seen a major improvement in the Eagles run game and offense since game one. Against Dinwiddie they had -6 yards rushing and 38 yards passing (32 yards total). I know we disagree on this, but GW has already faced the best running attack in Class 4 and east of Lynchburg, so JF's excellent line play and rb's should not overwhelm the Eagles defense.
Dinwiddie is the best running team in C4. The only reason I said they wasn’t the best in the 804 metro is because I think HS’s Offensive Line is the complete package and Byrd, Martin and Henley can do scary scary things.Byrd has 1000 yards plus as a sophomore, Martin’s not even a dual threat but did you see them QB sneaks he did last year against Chambers and this year against Varina? That’s scary. Henley and Dalton are probably the two most meaningful players to their team in the 804. Henley is dangerous in the backfield. Idk why your Hokies don’t have him as the #1 priority out of RVA for 2024. Dinwiddie is up there and Huguenot isn’t far far behind!

I agree with you @BoKnowsSports. Te Oscar Smith vs. Glen Allen game has the potential to be a tight one. Both teams are young and getting better. Glen Allen with the win.

GW has a punchers chance. The Eagles must avoid shooting themselves in the foot on offense and stop the run on defense. The interior line matchup is key and GW stud K. Dixon must deliver a few knockout shots on defense. I like it, but I just don't see it.

My upset pick is Godwin over Louisa. I want to see the Lions win this one, but I just think Louisa's youth and Godwins physicality could create some issues. Both coaches have playoff experience so pushing the right buttons may be the key. Give me Godwin in a squeaker.

Edit: I watched some more game film on Louisa. They have good size on both lines and they have matured since the last time I watched them. I may have jumped the gun on this one, but oh well.
I saw Glen Allen earlier this year win at; what ended up being, an underwhelming and underperforming Massaponax side (who I see losing at Lightridge on Friday). Still a great road win though.

Size-wise, GA doesn't look all that huge. However, they have a very talented backfield and their main running back is probably one of the quickest in the eastern half of the state. Oscar Smith will have to do a good job in quickly closing the gaps at the line of scrimmage because the Jaguars aren't afraid to attack that way.

I think I picked GA in my Pick 'Em Picks for this week and would not be surprised if they came out with the win. It's a big stage for them nonetheless taking on a brand name that most schools have come to respect and fear over the years. The question is if they will buckle under intimidation solely due to the name of the front of the jerseys lining up across from them.

As it pertains to upsets in Class 4, I don't see very many of them happening. Maybe a 5 beats a 4 somewhere such as Smithfield or Woodgrove winning, but there shouldn't be anything too dramatic this weekend.

@BoKnowsSports I think it's a human nature thing. People aren't satisfied with what works they have to try something different. I believe a lot of head coaches are very analytical and tend to over think things.

Did you know Coach Willis White and Coach Billy Mills are both math whizzes. White was the Math Department Head at PH. I think successful coaches attention to detail pays off huge and it shows.

Sometimes it's just us fans thinking we have all the answers. We see the success and failures, but don't really look at the why. I tell the guys I go to games with to not watch the ball for one series and they will see a different game. Just try identifying a defense, watch the line play, see if the lb's are getting off blocks, or DB/WR battles. Those things will tell you a lot about play calling and sometimes can be fools gold. Calling plays is a tough job, especially crunch time situations. That's why there are good coaches and bad coaches.

@BoKnowsSports I think it's a human nature thing. People aren't satisfied with what works they have to try something different. I believe a lot of head coaches are very analytical and tend to over think things.

Did you know Coach Willis White and Coach Billy Mills are both math whizzes. White was the Math Department Head at PH. I think successful coaches attention to detail pays off huge and it shows.

Sometimes it's just us fans thinking we have all the answers. We see the success and failures, but don't really look at the why. I tell the guys I go to games with to not watch the ball for one series and they will see a different game. Just try identifying a defense, watch the line play, see if the lb's are getting off blocks, or DB/WR battles. Those things will tell you a lot about play calling and sometimes can be fools gold. Calling plays is a tough job, especially crunch time situations. That's why there are good coaches and bad coaches.
So true BleedingNavy. And for fans that do this, they will have a greater appreciation for the game. They will also see later on why a play call was made if coaches were able to recognize what happened earlier and are able to make adjustments. Could be some "A-HA!" and "Ahhh I see why they did that!" moments.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Exactly! @Virginia HS Football Fan I was taught at an early age to be a student of the game no matter what sport I was playing. Understanding and studying the rules, schemes, and position responsibilities always makes me enjoy the game so much more. It always drives me crazy when people fuss at the refs over something they have heard on TV. Example: That was an "uncatchable ball". In high school it's simple. If you make contact with the receiver while the ball is in the air it's interference. I don't care where the ball lands. Because of my passion and the way I see the game I admittedly say or yell things out loud when I am not pleased, but again that's me just being stupid and thinking out loud. I should never question Coach Mills publicly; however, it just slips out sometimes. Even if I am remotely correct I always regret it later. I am a former coaches son and clearly know better.

Amherst also played their best game that night. We’ve had some injuries since including the QB. That hurt. I will be pulling for GW for a few reasons.

I'll toss one out: Sherando over Glass.

Both teams are a bit of a question mark (one a bit more than the other) and if Glass sleepwalks early, I can see them getting a scare. Don't think it'll ultimately happen and I'd take Glass by about 2 scores but it wouldn't be truly shocking to me if Glass got caught lacking.

Exactly! @Virginia HS Football Fan I was taught at an early age to be a student of the game no matter what sport I was playing. Understanding and studying the rules, schemes, and position responsibilities always makes me enjoy the game so much more. It always drives me crazy when people fuss at the refs over something they have heard on TV. Example: That was an "uncatchable ball". In high school it's simple. If you make contact with the receiver while the ball is in the air it's interference. I don't care where the ball lands. Because of my passion and the way I see the game I admittedly say or yell things out loud when I am not pleased, but again that's me just being stupid and thinking out loud. I should never question Coach Mills publicly; however, it just slips out sometimes. Even if I am remotely correct I always regret it later. I am a former coaches son and clearly know better.
Now, if I could get you to pay that much attention to the details of navigating when we go to a game, maybe we wouldn't stay lost in the boonies so much!

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I'll have my eye on the Forest Park at Mountain View score for upset potential. This is one that you'd look at as an unlikely upset. Mountain View had a nice season going 10-0 and defeated Forest Park 38-0 in season opener back in August. But I watched Mountain View squeak by Patriot by one point a few weeks ago and I think Forest Park is a playoff worthy team capable of at least giving MV a better game if they have a good night. They had a good tune-up game last week scoring off of 5 TD passes and can run the ball with their lead tailback. You would expect Mountain View to handle business but I'll be checking in on score stream for this one.

I'll give Gainesville a chance too with the ability that they have on offense, but I think Forge handles that one.

Both teams are a bit of a question mark (one a bit more than the other) and if Glass sleepwalks early, I can see them getting a scare. Don't think it'll ultimately happen and I'd take Glass by about 2 scores but it wouldn't be truly shocking to me if Glass got caught lacking.
I haven't watched much of Sherando this yr. They use to be a solid defensive team.
I'm going to go by what a poster said earlier that Sherando is nowhere as good as they use to be. If that's the case give me Glass.

I don't know much about Sherando but I agree that if Glass comes out slow they might be in a closer game than they want. Glass' offense has struggled to score points in 3 of the last 4 weeks but they did have a good offensive performance last week vs Rustburg though so, maybe they got things on track. I do think Glass has played the tougher schedule and has a good enough defense and kicking game to get the W. But Glass did give up almost 300 yards rushing last week too so...who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
Gotta figure PH is the favorite in 5C but not a prohibitive favorite. Drawing Fleming in the 1st round is not great. It’s a rivalry rematch, Fleming has a good D (a very good secondary) and a talented fast RB in Malachi Coleman. PH has a special team this year but all is for naught if they lose in the opening round. Fleming could pull this upset. Game probably depends on turnovers and which team makes (or avoids) bonehead plays in an intense rivalry.

Gotta figure PH is the favorite in 5C but not a prohibitive favorite. Drawing Fleming in the 1st round is not great. It’s a rivalry rematch, Fleming has a good D (a very good secondary) and a talented fast RB in Malachi Coleman. PH has a special team this year but all is for naught if they lose in the opening round. Fleming could pull this upset. Game probably depends on turnovers and which team makes (or avoids) bonehead plays in an intense rivalry.
I hope you’re right. I’d rather see PH or Louisa win this region over any of the 804 teams. Good luck tomorrow.

No kidding but given realignment PH is probably much happier Highland Springs got moved up.

Ahem.

Oooooooooooooooooooof. PH blowing an easy run at semis.

I haven't watched much of Sherando this yr. They use to be a solid defensive team.
I'm going to go by what a poster said earlier that Sherando is nowhere as good as they use to be. If that's the case give me Glass.
Both teams really bad in my opinion tonight . Glass Just wasn’t quite as bad.

Reactions: SFUWO
Nah I didn’t think PH could’ve beaten Herm or Freeman based off those Christiansburg and Cave Spring games. Those kind of games are telling.

They had their starting QB back (not sure if he was actually in tonight's game but paper reported he had returned), they were a nasty team at full strength. Those two games didn't bother me, they were running a 3rd string QB while playing those games.

And CS, despite two HCs in these two seasons, seems to just have PH's number for whatever reason. CS beat them last year and piled up a bunch of points doing so. That's just an odd situation with PH/CS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT