ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL High School Football Returns To Old Dominion University Campus

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
VHSL_logo-DMID1-5nn9u2tzb-640x480-702bd708d4.jpg

(NORFOLK, VA, August 4, 2021) Old Dominion University’s S.B. Ballard Stadium will play host to the 2021 and 2022 Virginia High School League (VHSL) Class 5 and Class 6 State Football Championships. Championship games are slated to take place on Saturday, December 11, 2021 and Saturday, December 10, 2022. Game times are scheduled for 12PM and 4:30PM.

Reactions: mike salem
Lament...

Still don't know why they don't do this in Richmond or Charlottesville... somewhere closer to the middle of the state...

Lament...

Still don't know why they don't do this in Richmond or Charlottesville... somewhere closer to the middle of the state...
did for years now its Tidewater's turn.
I can see RVa eventually getting C4 and C3 with the explosion of teams in 4B

did for years now its Tidewater's turn.
I can see RVa eventually getting C4 and C3 with the explosion of teams in 4B
EPJr, you know it isn't about taking turns. It comes down to money and which facility wants to host. VHSL moved from the RVA area to Hampton for two main reasons. Although I assume UVA wanted too much (or it posed a potential scheduling conflict for them, like it often does with JMU making the FCS playoffs every year), I know for a fact one of the reasons they moved to Hampton is because Hampton wanted the games to showcase their school. We all know NOVA will probably never get a turn simply because there are no stadium facilities up here with the necessary size.

Build it & they will come... Lord knows their are the resources and big enough events that could be hosted up there. Between, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and football a facility shouldn't have problems with events.

It seems strange that VA Beach has a SportsPlex but Northern VA doesn't? They've added temporary bleachers to accommodate the biggest events.

Even Chesapeake, I believe, is even considering a community stadium similar to what Hampton / Phoebus, etc uses.

Build it & they will come... Lord knows their are the resources and big enough events that could be hosted up there. Between, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and football a facility shouldn't have problems with events.

It seems strange that VA Beach has a SportsPlex but Northern VA doesn't? They've added temporary bleachers to accommodate the biggest events.

Even Chesapeake, I believe, is even considering a community stadium similar to what Hampton / Phoebus, etc uses.
...actually, up here it wouldn't be too hard to update/revise/expand a number of sites (just $$$), but many are physically constrained... as big an issue would being able to flex enough parking spaces beyond what a regular game would require and paying for whatever things would be necessary to mitigate traffic congestion... especially any location around the Beltway or near the Mixing Bowl.

...actually, up here it wouldn't be too hard to update/revise/expand a number of sites (just $$$), but many are physically constrained... as big an issue would being able to flex enough parking spaces beyond what a regular game would require and paying for whatever things would be necessary to mitigate traffic congestion... especially any location around the Beltway or near the Mixing Bowl.
Yeah, even the VA Beach SportsPlex has parking issues for their big games. Back when they last added the temporary bleachers, I remember parking about 1/2 mile away. But even @ ODU, people will be parking on side streets & remote parking lots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT