ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL school name changes in 2021

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
So far, three VHSL members will be changing their school names as of July 1, 2021. They are:

T.C. Williams High School “Titans _- Alexandria City High School “Titans”
George Mason High School “Mustangs” -- Meridian High School “Mustangs”
Woodrow Wilson High School “Presidents” – Manor High School “Mustangs”

Haven’t heard anything yet on the Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg) name situation.

Political correctness sucks.
Sometimes change can be a good thing! I have a friend that works at the now named John Lewis High School in northern VA and they love their new name. They have been trying to change T.C. Williams since he was a segregationist. I thought they would go with Alexandria High or even Titan Community High. I was more surprised by the George Mason name change, but their community decided on it and I'm fine with it.

Sometimes change can be a good thing! I have a friend that works at the now named John Lewis High School in northern VA and they love their new name. They have been trying to change T.C. Williams since he was a segregationist. I thought they would go with Alexandria High or even Titan Community High. I was more surprised by the George Mason name change, but their community decided on it and I'm fine with it.

So they went from one controversial figure to another. If they really wanted "equality" the name would have been changed to Springfield, period.

So far, three VHSL members will be changing their school names as of July 1, 2021. They are:

T.C. Williams High School “Titans _- Alexandria City High School “Titans”
George Mason High School “Mustangs” -- Meridian High School “Mustangs”
Woodrow Wilson High School “Presidents” – Manor High School “Mustangs”

Haven’t heard anything yet on the Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg) name situation.
Mountain View High School the board wanted Rattlers but that was rejected so mascot is still being decided.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
So they went from one controversial figure to another. If they really wanted "equality" the name would have been changed to Springfield, period.
We will have to agree to disagree on Mr. Lewis being controversial - the man nearly lost his life fighting for civil rights. I have a college friend who teaches/coaches at John Lewis H.S. They had been trying to rename the school and John Lewis was actually one of the suggestions before he passed away. The students, faculty, and everyone are happy with the name change too!

To quote the article: "
Virginia school district announced on Thursday that it would rename Robert E. Lee High School in Springfield for John Lewis, the Georgia congressman and civil rights giant who died last week.

The name change, which is expected to go into effect in September, has been in the works for over a year and a half, according to Tamara Derenak Kaufax, a school board member. Mr. Lewis, who was called “the conscience of the Congress” by his colleagues, had been on a short list of names since March that also included former President Barack Obama and Cesar Chavez, the farmworker organizer, she added.

Reactions: mmqp 4.0
Mountain View High School the board wanted Rattlers but that was rejected so mascot is still being decided.
Mountain View will be The Generals and will honor many Generals that have died for the country
20210515012531_210_mascot300.jpg

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT