18. Centreville (1-1)

19. Gar-Field (0-1)

20. Western Branch (2-0)

21. Riverbend (1-1)

22. Franklin County (0-1)

23. Ocean Lakes (2-0)

24. Osbourn (2-0)

25. West Potomac (2-0)
I like this post. We haven't had a debate on ranking in this Class 6 thread that I can remember.

My general thoughts on this list:

Massaponax is back in Class 5 and as stated above, they are not the senior heavy team they were in the Spring.

Manchester, Despite losing to Highland Springs 27-20 deserves a Top 5 Ranking. Not many teams have delivered the big play vs the Springers like the Lancers did last Friday. If they can figure out how to get their RB into open space better, they will be hard to stop. BTW, Manchester had their top OL in a soft cast & sitting on the sidelines for that game. MaxPreps also still has this team as Class 5 instead of 6.

Freedom may be over ranked only because they can be inconsistent in their performances. After watching their game vs Riverbend, I have a feeling that score would be much closer if they meet up again in the playoffs. Their game on Friday vs Stone Bridge will tell me if they are big time challengers to Smith's Title come late November. Next week's game vs Unity Reed should also a good match-up.

James Madison may be ranked too low. They may prove to have played Stone Bridge to toughest all season. My gut tells me it'll be a Robinson vs Madison game to see which team makes the trip to ODU in December.

South County & Chantilly are likely the teams I am overlooking on this list. Riverbend likely could still win their district despite last Friday's game. Getting their snapper, punter exchange cleaned up will be critical moving forward though. I expect them to make this list before the season wraps up.

Ocean Lakes has another new coach but he came over from Princess Anne HS & he could prove have been a good long term move for the Dolphins. Games vs Green Run, Bayside & Salem (VB) will be their possible bumps in the road for the season.

Dark horse to make it into the Top 10 would be Western Branch. Coach Cook might have brought some of Colonial Forge's toughness along with his son to Chesapeake. BUT the South-Eastern District is a gauntlet of difficult games for them. IF they finish #2 I will have them in the Top 10 for Class 6 this year.

my Top 10, for what it's worth,

1. Oscar Smith (1-0) Reg A

2. Freedom (2-0) Reg B

3. Manchester (0-1) Reg A

4. Robinson (2-0) Reg C

5. Thomas Dale (2-0) Reg A

6. James Madison (1-1) Reg D

7. Unity Reed (2-0) Reg B

8. Battlefield (2-0) Reg B

9. West Springfield (2-0) Reg C

10. Ocean Lakes (2-0) Reg A

I like this post. We haven't had a debate on ranking in this Class 6 thread that I can remember.

My general thoughts on this list:

Massaponax is back in Class 5 and as stated above, they are not the senior heavy team they were in the Spring.

Manchester, Despite losing to Highland Springs 27-20 deserves a Top 5 Ranking. Not many teams have delivered the big play vs the Springers like the Lancers did last Friday. If they can figure out how to get their RB into open space better, they will be hard to stop. BTW, Manchester had their top OL in a soft cast & sitting on the sidelines for that game. MaxPreps also still has this team as Class 5 instead of 6.

Freedom may be over ranked only because they can be inconsistent in their performances. After watching their game vs Riverbend, I have a feeling that score would be much closer if they meet up again in the playoffs. Their game on Friday vs Stone Bridge will tell me if they are big time challengers to Smith's Title come late November. Next week's game vs Unity Reed should also a good match-up.

James Madison may be ranked too low. They may prove to have played Stone Bridge to toughest all season. My gut tells me it'll be a Robinson vs Madison game to see which team makes the trip to ODU in December.

South County & Chantilly are likely the teams I am overlooking on this list. Riverbend likely could still win their district despite last Friday's game. Getting their snapper, punter exchange cleaned up will be critical moving forward though. I expect them to make this list before the season wraps up.

Ocean Lakes has another new coach but he came over from Princess Anne HS & he could prove have been a good long term move for the Dolphins. Games vs Green Run, Bayside & Salem (VB) will be their possible bumps in the road for the season.

Dark horse to make it into the Top 10 would be Western Branch. Coach Cook might have brought some of Colonial Forge's toughness along with his son to Chesapeake. BUT the South-Eastern District is a gauntlet of difficult games for them. IF they finish #2 I will have them in the Top 10 for Class 6 this year.

my Top 10, for what it's worth,

1. Oscar Smith (1-0) Reg A

2. Freedom (2-0) Reg B

3. Manchester (0-1) Reg A

4. Robinson (2-0) Reg C

5. Thomas Dale (2-0) Reg A

6. James Madison (1-1) Reg D

7. Unity Reed (2-0) Reg B

8. Battlefield (2-0) Reg B

9. West Springfield (2-0) Reg C

10. Ocean Lakes (2-0) Reg A
I would swap in South County and Chantilly somewhere... probably for Battelfield and West Springfield. Robinson is a little too high. Then restack it from there. (IMHO Madison was probably 2-3 key plays away from the score being a 14-10 loss / 14-17 win instead of a 20-0 loss... but they didn't make them and inopportune early season penalties killed them, e.g. offsides on the offense...)

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Definitely may have to consider SoCo & Chantilly at some point. Neither of them should lose too many games and each have a system that gives teams fits. AND I agree with your thoughts on Madison. Once we get few more games underway, we will definitely know more. IMHO, the bottom portion of that list is a little harder to place teams than the top half.

Last edited:
the official "State" ranking from the VHSL are NOT out yet.

I think Matt posts VHSL rankings. Here is the list for Class 6 Before Friday's games.

RankLWTeam
11Oscar Smith
22South County
33Thomas Dale
44Freedom-PW
55Manchester
67Madison
78Ocean Lakes
8HMRobinson
910Centreville
106Unity Reed

Dropped Out: #9 Colonial Forge (1-2) fell to #1 Stone Bridge 43-7

Honorable Mention:
Western Branch (4-0)

BUT the following teams lost this week!!

Thomas Dale lost to Matoaca (4)
Western Branch lost to Kings Fork (4)
Freedom (W) lost to Garfield (6)

I think Matt posts VHSL rankings. Here is the list for Class 6 Before Friday's games.

RankLWTeam
11Oscar Smith
22South County
33Thomas Dale
44Freedom-PW
55Manchester
67Madison
78Ocean Lakes
8HMRobinson
910Centreville
106Unity Reed

Dropped Out: #9 Colonial Forge (1-2) fell to #1 Stone Bridge 43-7

Honorable Mention:
Western Branch (4-0)

BUT the following teams lost this week!!

Thomas Dale lost to Matoaca (4)
Western Branch lost to Kings Fork (4)
Freedom (W) lost to Garfield (6)
I admit I dont see an Region A or B and only a little of C, but I see this as an accurate representation to date.
2 Teams I think could move in, at least to HM are Chantilly and W. Springfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT