ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia High School League had profits go down by $240,000.

YeahRightLOL

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2010
Southfield, Michigan
www.clubcorp.com
No matter what they say, it's because of the jump from 3 classifications to 6 classifications! With 6 state champions in each sport, it dilutes the talent. Who wants to see 6 state championships?! It diminishes the success of winning a state championship. Why not just give a
smile.r191677.gif
state championship trophy to each of the 300 schools? Attendance is going to be way down when you have 6 state champions! Maybe the VHSL will come to their senses and cut it back to 3 state champions in each sport. In every sport there are going to be natural advantages.

"The VHSL said it lost $240,000 during the last fiscal year - the first after its major overhaul of the classification of Virginia's public high schools.

The state's 300-plus high schools were realigned into six classifications for most sports according to enrollment. Previously, there were three classifications."

Generally, legislative sessions at the Virginia High School League come and go without much juicy news.

That wasn't the case Wednesday in Charlottesville.

The VHSL's Executive Committee voted to approve a new alignment plan and to allow state semifinals to be played on Friday.

And then there was this little tidbit: The VHSL said it lost $240,000 during the last fiscal year - the first after its major overhaul of the classification of Virginia's public high schools.

The state's 300-plus high schools were realigned into six classifications for most sports according to enrollment. Previously, there were three classifications.

VHSL officials pointed to different factors and downplayed the connection to reclassification, according to reports in both The Daily Press and The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Ken Tilley, the league's executive director, told The Daily Press the VHSL has lost money in only three of his 20 years.

"It's not accurate to say it was due to one factor by itself," Tilley told the newspaper. "It was due to multiple things. For example, the football playoffs' championship round was played in horrible weather. That had nothing to do with alignment. The weather killed us."

Tom Dolan, a VHSL assistant director told The Daily Press: "After just one year, I wouldn't point to the six-classification (setup) as a reason for the reduction in revenue. It was an anomaly year, the first since I've been here that the VHSL has lost money."

Mike McCall, a VHSL spokesman, told The Times-Dispatch that among the factors that contributed to the loss were reduced ticket sales for basketball state tournaments and the cost of holding more state championships.

This post was edited on 9/18 4:15 AM by USA2011

While this is huge and we all know money drives us everything, I don't look for the VHSL to reverse course or even do another realignment...

I think you are correct that they will not do anything to change quickly but, they will analyze data over another year or 2 and, if necessary they will make changes. The loss number leaves a lot unsaid in terms of what actually contributed to the bottom line number. Is it more a revenue issue or an expense issue or is it equally split? What about the individual sport metrics? More attributable to football, basketball or other sports? No one can dispute that the weather was obviously a factor in football attendance and the basketball tournament is not nearly as compact or manageable with the expanded number of classifications. Hard to say what effects were noted in other sports as well. The reported loss is a warning bell not a death knell as far as reclassification goes at present, in my opinion. Historically you were able to find attachments and other financial information from the executive and finance committee meetings on the vhsl website but, while they were referenced in the current agendas they were not available online this time. It will be interesting to see the details if they actually come out. Also, if the split is 50/50 that same shortfall that the VHSL reports is being spread over individual sections/regions and conferences so it will be interesting to also watch how this impacts athletics at the local school level and regionally.
This post was edited on 9/18 10:32 AM by cutnjump

There's a big difference between profit going down $240k and being in the red $240k. Did expenses go up and by how much? Did income go down and by how much? How financially sound is the VHSL? Can they take a quarter million hit like this? What if it happens again next year?

There are a lot of unknowns to be able to determine the cause. They could have hired 4 new employees and there's your debt.

Did you guys hear that another girl disappeared in VA again last night? Its a pretty crazy story... Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

What is going on in virginia? With these missing girls? What are the people saying down there?

Re: THEY WENT TO 6 STATE CHAMPIONS 35 YEARS AGO

Why do people keep saying this same old thing over&over? They started having 6 state champions in football in 79-80 I think.Its been going so long now I cant even remember,AAA- Div 6-5 AA Div 4-3 A Div 2-1.Now if my math skills are up to par at my advanced age that adds up to 6.
Yes they realigned.Yes more teams get in the playoffs.BUT THE NUMBER OF STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHIES GIVEN OUT IN FOOTBALL IS STILL 6!!!!! IMO I liked the first year of the new system.I liked the different match ups we got.But wether I liked or didnt or John Q.Public did or didnt there were 6 state champions in football not 12, 24, 56, or 300.If Im wrong someone please let me know.Then I will admit myself to the state hospital for the insane.

This post was edited on 9/20 11:52 AM by 7hillshsnut

Divisions were created in 1986

1986 was actually the first year they went to divisional playoffs in football, with six state champions. But, I get your gist, and agree with you.
This post was edited on 9/20 12:38 PM by SpartanOfYore

Re: Divisions were created in 1986

The VHSL has lost money before and actually more than this on at least one other occasion. I think part of the problem is basketball where they had quarterfinals, now they have only semi and finals (as far as I know - the funds up to that point are given to the new regions).

Attendance was down at football championships b/c of weather but I also think b/c you can see the games on TV and online.

People need to look at stadium and arena fees as well. How much did they pay UVA for using Scott Stadium for the 6A & 5A games and how much did they pay to use the Seigal Center for basketball? If I'm not mistaken didn't VCU host all three state games and the 6A Regional finals as well? The cost of those games plus transportation to and from had to skyrocket opposed to other years.

Originally posted by BulldogKeeper:
People need to look at stadium and arena fees as well. How much did they pay UVA for using Scott Stadium for the 6A & 5A games and how much did they pay to use the Seigal Center for basketball? If I'm not mistaken didn't VCU host all three state games and the 6A Regional finals as well? The cost of those games plus transportation to and from had to skyrocket opposed to other years.
Yeah totally! Is there any thoughts on the missing girl?

With respect to the missing girl, I suggest that you go to the Richmond Times Dispatch online for the most current information.

Re: MY Bad Im getting old lol

Hey Spartan I said I was getting old.I was off a few years but you got me as you say lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT