ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions VISAA State Final Predictions

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Proud to say this is my 11th year covering every game of the VISAA Boys State championship Tournament. The VISAA Boys Basketball committee did a great job with the matchups this year as the two best teams are meeting for the title in all three Divisions. Over the years I have watch some great games and even more great players. However one of the best experiences is the friendships and hospitality supplied by the Tidewater Academy Booster club. They do a thankless job of putting the tournament on every year; and they do an outstanding job. So I want to thank them for all they do. On to the predictions.

D1 State Finals Amelia Academy vs Williamsburg Christian Academy (12 PM)

Amelia Academy pulled a repeat as they defeated Christ Chapel for the second straight year in the State semi-finals to reach the title game. This year's meeting went to double overtime with the Patriots winning 73-70. Leland Hampton scored a game-high 30 points and Zumar Smith added 21 points and six rebounds. Williamsburg Christian ran past North Cross 51-31 outscoring the Raiders by 10 in the 4th quarter. Cle'Von Greene scored 17 points while pulling down 11 rebounds and the Eagles also got 11 points each from RaShawn Cook and Chester Makoi.

Williamsburg Christian was the #1 seed for most of the season and I feel they are the best team in DIII. They have a legit D1 player in Cle'von Greene and the Cook twins (DaShawn and RaShawn) are both pressure attack players. Amelia Academy matches up well but I see The Eagles taking their 1st title since 2012.

D2 State Finals Blue Ridge vs Miller School (2PM)

Blue Ridge defeated Virginia Episcopal 59-53 in a rematch of the last two VISAA D2 State championships. Clemson commit Aamir Simms scored 11 of his 18 points in the 4th quarter and senior Josh Colon scored 12 points and dished out six assists for the Barons who reached their 3rd straight State championship game. Miller School will be seeking their first State championship since winning the title in 2009. The Mavericks defeated Virginia Academy 69-60 with Aundre Hyatt leading the way with 18 points and nine rebounds including three triples. Deshaun Wade added 15 points while Jaylin Reed finished with 12 points.

Blue Ridge has defeated Miller School four times this season including an overtime win in the VIC tournament last week. They have the experience competing in their 3rd straight State title game. Miller School hasn't found the recipe to knock off the Barons this season so I'm going with Blue Ridge to match their football State championship and take home their 2nd title in the past three years.

D1 State Finals Paul VI vs Trinity Episcopal (4PM)

Paul VI needed double overtime to defeat Cape Henry to reach their 4th straight VISAA D1 State title game. Sophomore Anthony Harris finished with 26 points including 12 points in overtime to help the Panthers. Cape Henry missed seven free throws in the 1st overtime. Brandon Slater scored 16 points with seven rebounds and Aaron Thompson added 15 points. Trinity Episcopal led by double-digits early and were never threatened in their 71-50 win over Bishop O Connell. Jason Wade scored 20 points and James Madison commit Zach Jacobs scored 17 points while adding 11 rebounds to pace Trinity Episcopal. Armando Bacot added 15 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks. The Titans got a big game from Aaron Duhart who scored 12 points, five rebounds and three steals.

I like Trinity Episcopal in this matchup. I credited the Titans big man Armando Bacot with six blocks but he probably effected a dozen more as he took away the Bishop O Connell inside game. The Panthers will be playing their fifth game in the past seven days which includes a double overtime affair last night. Although it's hard to go against the proven success of Coach Glen Farrello I'm going with the underdog. Trinity Episcopal should have the local home crowd advantage and the motivation to win their 1st State championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT