ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early football talk. Who should be the top teams in each region?

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
In region D, I'll say Union, Gate City, Tazewell and Graham will be top 4.

Tazewell may surprise some folks this season, they will have tremendous size along the line. If they develop a little bit of a run game behind the horses and keep teams from pinning their ears back and coming after the QB every play (Tazewell has been pretty one dimensional), then I think they can be dangerous. If they just drop back and toss it around, they will have another season similar to the past one. I'd like to see them become more dimensional, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It is NEVER too early to talk football! Riverheads should be in the mix as always although I understand that they have to replace almost the entire line. But they return the quarterback, the kicker, a very good defensive end, and as usual, an entire stable of running backs. The three that presumably will step up from the JV team can literally score from anywhere on the field and I expect any or maybe all of them to contribute from the very beginning. One thing that concerns me is the Gladiators' schedule. If it follows the pattern it should follow, they will have district road games at Fort Defiance, Staunton, and Stuarts Draft, and all three of those will also be very strong teams this year. So it will be a tall task for the Big Red to go undefeated again this year in district play.

Gretna should take a step up. Could see them playing Graham/Union during that first week in December. Radford, Glenvar and of course the Appomattox RAIIIders will have a lot to say about that. Chatham should be the dark horse this year. Jack Reese may be the best player in the region.

Gretna should take a step up. Could see them playing Graham/Union during that first week in December. Radford, Glenvar and of course the Appomattox RAIIIders will have a lot to say about that. Chatham should be the dark horse this year. Jack Reese may be the best player in the region.
That 2003 game Graham vs Gretna was incredible to watch. Vic Hall vs. Ahmad Bradshaw. Gretna had the better "team" that year, but the individual battle between those 2 players was special to watch.

In 2C hate to say it but give me Appomattox. Young and banged up last year. Gretna, while bringing up a nice core was senior heavy. Reece is a solid linemen for Chatham but I think Hodnett made it impossible to run away from him on defense. Losing LB depth, QB, and Hodnett imo takes Chatham back a notch. Imo dogwood will be nasty this year with a lot of teams being younger last year

Union will lose a few key players but they had a lot of production from their sophomore/junior classes. Now that Jennings & Clements are gone from Graham I would have to say Union is the favorites in D.

That 2003 game Graham vs Gretna was incredible to watch. Vic Hall vs. Ahmad Bradshaw. Gretna had the better "team" that year, but the individual battle between those 2 players was special to watch.
I would agree with that assessment. Union - followed by Graham, Tazewell and Gate City (not necessarily in that order).

I remember that game even though I didn’t go. Didn’t Gretna beat Prince Edwards, Graham and Tazewell (may have been Rustburg) that year before defeating Monticello? Great times man. I truly believe those G Town teams could’ve beaten any of the “best teams” in VHSL history. Vic Hall and Horace Hubbard are absolute legends in my book and are the best athletes to ever come out of Pittsylvania County,

Also Graham played GW Danville that year and beat that Cam Martin led GW team. GW had over 2000 students at the time and Graham maybe had 700. Ahmad Bradshaw was tough. One of our family friends said when Graham played Patrick County, Bradshaw threw the ball, ran the ball, caught the ball, punted the ball, returned the ball on punts/kickoffs, and was a damn good defensive player. I never saw him in person but you can see why he was an integral part of those two Super Bowls for the Giants. Underrated when we talk about the best players ever out of Virginia. Vic Hall too!

Graham was down 27 to 0 against Gretna and had crazy comeback to get it to 27-22 in the 4th and picked off Vic Hall at their own 15 late in game with a chance to drive the field and win it. Only game of year from what I recall where Gretna had a close call.

During that time period, William Campbell had Cedric Peerman and Shea Boyd. A few years had some big hyped games between WC and Gretna, but if memory serves me correctly, only one of those was a close game.
If I recall correctly, the 2004 Gretna/WC game in Naruna, had over 6,000 fans. Too much Vic Hall and Rico Reynolds. I was in attendance in 03 when Peerman came to Gretna and that was one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever experienced in our area. Kickoff was 7pm and the stadium was standing room only at 5:15. Second best had to be in 05 when Chatham ended Gretna’s streak. Jeff Redd was an animal! Another underrated Pittsylvania County athlete.

Reactions: Bucktown434
I forgot about Rico Reynolds.

You're right about Jeff Redd and that Chatham team. That was an extremely talented group with skill and size. I believe Theo Sherman was on that team and went on to start for 4 yrs for JMU. Offense also had Logan Smyth, who had a nice career at Averett.

Man in 05 the Dogwood was absolutely LOADED. Gretna’s winning streak ruined by Chatham in the playoffs and what does William Campbell do? Wins State in 1A. Dogwood football in its hey day were must see games every week.

Man in 05 the Dogwood was absolutely LOADED. Gretna’s winning streak ruined by Chatham in the playoffs and what does William Campbell do? Wins State in 1A. Dogwood football in its hey day were must see games every week.
Chatham came from behind and beat William Campbell that year too! I was at that game and Chatham won it in OT.

Chatham came from behind and beat William Campbell that year too! I was at that game and Chatham won it in OT.
Story I hear from WC people is they sat 2-3 guys to rest up for the playoffs and it bit em. Got them back for the playoffs and went on to win 1A. That was the old Region B with just 4 teams making the playoffs too if Chatham doesn’t beat WC they may miss out at 8-2! Crazy times. The old Region B was TOUGH!!!

A. Poquoson and King William.
B. Riverheads, Central will be down as their coach retired and they lose 2 All State Seniors. Clarke County, maybe Draft to challenge along with Buckingham for 2nd.
C. Appomattox and Gretna first, Glenvar, Martinsville, and Radford competing for 3rd.
D. I think Graham has won their region 5 out of 6 years. Hard to pick against them. Union always right there.
No surprise if Gretna got past Appo and Union got past Graham and someone else in B got past Riverheads or KW getting past Poquoson.

Union will lose a few key players but they had a lot of production from their sophomore/junior classes. Now that Jennings & Clements are gone from Graham I would have to say Union is the favorites in D.
I think Graham’s numbers may be down due a bit but they still return a lot of talent and have been working hard in the off season. I wouldn’t be surprised if Union took Region D. I wouldn’t be surprised if Graham squeaks it out. Those two have to be the favorites preseason but who knows , could be someone totally different come November.

I am told Buckingham is going to be very good this year. IMO, they are always good, sorta underachieves. I thought they’d challenge Riverheads this past year.

What has happened to Richlands? They used to be a powerhouse every year.
A series of unfortunate events…
Mance got rid of Dennis “Snake” Palmer as DC in 2016 (who has been at Graham now since 2018)
Talent took a downswing
Transfers dried up
Mance left
Hired Thad Wells instead of Ronnie Davis , Wells left them high & dry
Replaced with Jeff Tarter who tried but had a faction of certain Richlands people against him because of another coach that got fired (Big drama)….
I may have left out some things inadvertently but that’s the highlights as I see them. 😂.

They should be rebuilding though; got Ronnie Davis as coach & I heard he’s bringing in some quality help. It may take a couple of years but they should be on the uptick. They can only improve after last season.

@Fairlawncat is real close but in B I feel like Clarke will be better while Riverheads and Central back up a smidge. I wouldn't count out Strasburg, Buckinham, or Draft either so its likely a more open race than recent years.

I remember that game even though I didn’t go. Didn’t Gretna beat Prince Edwards, Graham and Tazewell (may have been Rustburg) that year before defeating Monticello? Great times man. I truly believe those G Town teams could’ve beaten any of the “best teams” in VHSL history. Vic Hall and Horace Hubbard are absolute legends in my book and are the best athletes to ever come out of Pittsylvania County,

Also Graham played GW Danville that year and beat that Cam Martin led GW team. GW had over 2000 students at the time and Graham maybe had 700. Ahmad Bradshaw was tough. One of our family friends said when Graham played Patrick County, Bradshaw threw the ball, ran the ball, caught the ball, punted the ball, returned the ball on punts/kickoffs, and was a damn good defensive player. I never saw him in person but you can see why he was an integral part of those two Super Bowls for the Giants. Underrated when we talk about the best players ever out of Virginia. Vic Hall too!
I played against those Gretna teams during my time in Buckingham, and I know without a shadow of a doubt those Gretna teams in 2002-2004 could of beat any team pound for pound in the state of VA
During that time period, William Campbell had Cedric Peerman and Shea Boyd. A few years had some big hyped games between WC and Gretna, but if memory serves me correctly, only one of those was a close game.
Those matchups use to bring in 10,000 people to view

If I recall correctly, the 2004 Gretna/WC game in Naruna, had over 6,000 fans. Too much Vic Hall and Rico Reynolds. I was in attendance in 03 when Peerman came to Gretna and that was one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever experienced in our area. Kickoff was 7pm and the stadium was standing room only at 5:15. Second best had to be in 05 when Chatham ended Gretna’s streak. Jeff Redd was an animal! Another underrated Pittsylvania County athlete.
We drove up from Buckingham that night. That game was LEGENDARY!! Horace Hubbard LITERALLY TOOK THE GAME ABSOLUTELY OVER!!

We drove up from Buckingham that night. That game was LEGENDARY!! Horace Hubbard LITERALLY TOOK THE GAME ABSOLUTELY OVER!!
Bro Horace Hubbard was 6’5 250, probably ran a 4.5 40. Easily one of the best defensive players from the 2000s decade. Wish he would’ve played at Virginia Tech or UVA but had a solid career at Oklahoma State and Ohio. In the world of Hudl and Twitter, he would’ve easily had 40+ P5 offers if he played today.

Vic Hall was just as legendary. If he was Allen Iverson’s height, he would’ve been at least a 4 star QB. Seen the man drop back, stiff arm 2 defenders (these cats were 6’3/6’2 250+), run to the right and flick the ball 60 yards in the air to Gretna and Liberty Flame legend, Brandon Turner for 6. Effortlessly. He was a video game. Heck, Rico Reynolds, Marlon Moon, Shun Haskins all were D1 players from little Gretna VA. Think Vic, Moon and Haskins had 4.0 GPAs. Wish somebody did a documentary on that team.

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT