ADVERTISEMENT

West Forsyth vs Oscar Smith

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
Game is Saturday the 25th @ 4 pm in Chesapeake. Expecting it to be near capacity all are welcome.

Quick coach Johnson's interview:
(Don't get caught up in his soft spoken manner, he's always low key & understated around the media.)

Check out @KyleSports757’s Tweet:

Joe Bray, RB/LB & TJ Tucker LB/RB among the unknowns that will help take Smith in another deep playoff run in 2018.

Deondre Davis is a beast, out of Allen, TX.

FYI, West Forsyth, Titans start their season tonight at home vs Lake Norman. WF was 11-1 last year losing in the 1st round of their playoffs.

From the Journal Now PrepZone:

Preview:
Lake Norman at West Forsyth

West Forsyth starts its football season at home against Lake Norman, a team that finished 2-9 in the 2017 season. The Wildcats enter this year with a new coach. Jonathan Oliphant spent eight years as an assistant at Mooresville High before taking the head coach job at Lake Norman in February.

However, West Forsyth is coming off an 11-1 season and returning some of its starters — with a big exception of defensive end KJ Henry, now a freshman under Coach Dabo Swinney of Clemson. Between juniors Ja’Quan McMillian and Jaylon McMillan, the Titans will be entering the season with experience at cornerback.

Tigers over the Titans 41-26. It wasn't that close. WF had their last 2 TD's with their #1's vs the Smith #2's.

Power running game is in place with a dominant Defensive again this year.

Oscar Smith routs North Carolina foe to kick off bid for fourth straight state championship appearance.

Oscar Smith Football

#2 Joe Bray of Oscar Smith High School turns the corner around the tackle of #2 Kelvin Johnson of West Forsyth High School during the game Aug. 25, 2018 at Oscar

Smith. L. Todd Spencer | The Virginian-Pilot

The cutback lane appeared and Joe Bray pivoted. Oscar Smith’s junior running back sprinted back to the right side of the field heading for an easy touchdown. But to send an extra message, Bray cut back inside to bulldoze a West Forsyth defender.

“We use our strength, break tackles, keep going. That’s what we do,” Bray said.

Oscar Smith piled up 471 total yards of offense and beat West Forsyth (N.C.) 41-26 for a season-opening win on Saturday at Oscar Smith.

“We came out here, we were physical, did our jobs and the scoreboard tells it all,” Tigers quarterback Cam’Ron Kelly said.

West Forsyth, located just outside Winston-Salem, N.C., immediately felt that physicality. On the game’s first play, Titans running G’mone Wilson rushed up the middle into a swarm of Tigers defenders and lost a fumble at the West Forsyth 19-yard line.

Oscar Smith cashed in four plays later when Bray scored from six yards out. Bray credits, “the linemen. Those dudes work hard and bust their tails for us running backs. We really appreciate it.”

While West Forsyth’s rushing offense barely picked up a yard per carry, its passing game led by Shane Jarvis proved successful early. Jarvis caught the Tigers defense off guard with a quick snap and fired a 13-yard touchdown to Trae Archie to knot the game at 7.

That’d be the last semblance of a close game as Kelly demoralized the Titans with unlikely down-the-field throws.

On Kelly’s first pass, he bolted toward the sideline and appeared ready to throw the ball away. Instead he heaved it 36 yards downfield for Jarius Howard. That led to an Aaron Acevedo four-yard touchdown run.
Oscar Smith player

The next drive Kelly moved right in the pocket before spinning back toward his left to avoid the rush, finding Brandon Brock 32 yards down the sideline. That set up Kelly’s three-yard scoring plunge which made it 21-7.

“I felt good,” said Kelly, a recent Auburn commit. “I missed a couple downfield throws, but I mean, it comes with reps. Everything was great.”

Kelly finished 5 of 9 for 146 yards and a touchdown passing while rushing for 40 yards and a score.

On defense the Titans avoided Kelly, a defensive back. “They didn’t even throw to my side once so it’s cool,” he said.

Overall, the Tigers held the Titans to 16 yards rushing and 168 yards passing, most coming in the fourth quarter with the result already decided.

Besides 11 penalties for 121 yards, Oscar Smith looked in midseason form and ready to challenge for a fourth straight trip to the Class 6 state championship.
Oscar Smith intro

Ray Nimmo, 757-446-2364, ray.nimmo@pilotonline.com

There are rumors that Marietta, GA (Former Smith Coach Richard Morgan's team) might be interested. But I actually agree that it would be better to have a NC vs VA team play. I do believe that there had been discussions with Mallard Creek about 4 years ago but they couldn't agree on the terms. Smith travels pretty well, too. So, they could come down. In 2011 they played Gilman (@ Morgan State) which is about the same distance away as West Forsyth. I'd say there were a couple hundred people from the 757 & no fan bus was arranged.

Or wake forest, 2 time 4AA champs down there

Wake Forest has been up there as of late. Definitely been a thorn in Mallard Creeks backside the last 2 years. This year and next year specially I don’t think anyone is going to touch Mallard Creek. In conference I think the only team close is Hough. Come playoff time the only other team I see as a big threat is Wake.

West Forsyth seems to be like a lot of the teams here in the 757. They definitely have the athletes at the skill positions, but few teams have the depth, intensity and persistence on the OL/DL to get to that next level.

We'll just have to see about next year as far as playing NC teams. Smith normally has the same week open each year.

Reactions: red_wilson1
West Forsyth seems to be like a lot of the teams here in the 757. They definitely have the athletes at the skill positions, but few teams have the depth, intensity and persistence on the OL/DL to get to that next level.

We'll just have to see about next year as far as playing NC teams. Smith normally has the same week open each year.
I'd love to see Smith play Highland Springs! I have heard that HS's coaching staff has contacted them in an attempt to play and were told NO!
HS definitely has depth, intensity and persistence on O and D lines! Heck, in every position!

Last edited:
I'd love to see Smith play Highland Springs! I have heard that HS's coaching staff has contacted them in an attempt to play and were told NO!
HS definitely has depth, intensity and persistence on O and D lines! Heck, in every position!
I'd love to see that. Has HS played anyone OOS recently? It would be nice to see HS get more exposure and I think that would help them and Virginia. HS's depth and talent reminds me of Wise High School in Maryland. Wise is a public school in the DC area that has built a solid program, despite the lure of the heavyweight privates that dominate the area. Tell HS's coaching staff to give Wise a call!

That's Too bad, I agree. I wonder what the issue is? They always have that week 1 or 2 date open for non district play. I'm a booster but we are ask to funnel team questions through our president, etc. I CAN ask Terry about that issue & I'll let ya know if any info had been provided.

You'd think that kind of game could rate ESPN coverage too! You know they've had 3 coaches in the last 4 years (Richard Morgan, Bill Dee, & Dave Johnson) & they've changed their AD in that time frame too. So, unless HS asked recently, it might be worth bringing up again.

That's Too bad, I agree. I wonder what the issue is? They always have that week 1 or 2 date open for non district play. I'm a booster but we are ask to funnel team questions through our president, etc. I CAN ask Terry about that issue & I'll let ya know if any info had been provided.

You'd think that kind of game could rate ESPN coverage too! You know they've had 3 coaches in the last 4 years (Richard Morgan, Bill Dee, & Dave Johnson) & they've changed their AD in that time frame too. So, unless HS asked recently, it might be worth bringing up again.
I'd bet OS would prefer a team with more national exposure or a top rated player to help them campaign for a slot in one ESPN's showcase games.

Reactions: springer76

I believe Creek and Smith will share the same open date next year, assuming Mallard Creek hasn’t already gone and put together a schedule. Mallard Creek was on a bye week last week, and the week before they were scheduled to play dutch fork but that was rained out. I imagine they may try to replay that game next year but if not, who knows maybe Smith and Creek can get a game worked out

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I believe Creek and Smith will share the same open date next year, assuming Mallard Creek hasn’t already gone and put together a schedule. Mallard Creek was on a bye week last week, and the week before they were scheduled to play dutch fork but that was rained out. I imagine they may try to replay that game next year but if not, who knows maybe Smith and Creek can get a game worked out
HSHS also tried Mallard Creek. Also Westfield. Got a no from all of them!

The top WCAC schools have lots of open dates now that they have just four league games. St. Frances of Baltimore is always looking for games too. HS ought to give those teams a call if they want a big-time opponent.

The top WCAC schools have lots of open dates now that they have just four league games. St. Frances of Baltimore is always looking for games too. HS ought to give those teams a call if they want a big-time opponent.
St. Frances definitely has slots to fill with their MIAA member schools dropping them.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
HSHS also tried Mallard Creek. Also Westfield. Got a no from all of them!
springer76, that is not quite correct. Coach Johnson and Coach Simmons were talking at a clinic recently and the topic of a HS-WF game did come up, but as I understand it they agreed that it might be possible "down the road". Although that could certainly be taken as a "no" for next year it does leave the door open.

I think both coaches have to weigh the positives and potential negatives of a game like HS-WF. #1 on the list: does it help their team prepare for the post season? Then there are other considerations, like is it a home and home or a one-off, which means you have to find a game for the other year of the two year cycle; what kind of team do I think I might have in several years; timing in the overall schedule; travel time (we all know what it is like on I-95 on a Friday), etc.

While I agree that it would be very interesting and us fans would love it, a HS-WF game in 2-3 years might not be what we all would expect if it happened?:cool::):D

There are certainly challenges to putting a game like this together, whether a one year or two year deal, and each school's challenges may not be shared by others. But for the programs in this discussion, I don't think there's that much of a drop off from year to year, especially in the immediate future. Of course, the winner would have the bragging rights until they meet again.

springer76, that is not quite correct. Coach Johnson and Coach Simmons were talking at a clinic recently and the topic of a HS-WF game did come up, but as I understand it they agreed that it might be possible "down the road". Although that could certainly be taken as a "no" for next year it does leave the door open.

I think both coaches have to weigh the positives and potential negatives of a game like HS-WF. #1 on the list: does it help their team prepare for the post season? Then there are other considerations, like is it a home and home or a one-off, which means you have to find a game for the other year of the two year cycle; what kind of team do I think I might have in several years; timing in the overall schedule; travel time (we all know what it is like on I-95 on a Friday), etc.

While I agree that it would be very interesting and us fans would love it, a HS-WF game in 2-3 years might not be what we all would expect if it happened?:cool::):D
I think it would be cool to see. I do need to say that I based that comment I heard talking, It came down to all "basic" no for all except Ocean Lakes... and I do understand especially on the negative side of having to travel to and from Fairfax County on a Friday afternoon is a nightmare within itself!! We'll see, I have a feeling that HS will change out the Hermitage game soon. Closer to home, I personally would like to see HS play Manchester, Thomas Dale or LC Bird ... even a team like North Stafford or Massaponax would be good.
We have, in the past, had Colonial Forge, Woodbridge and Dinwiddie on our schedule in the 2 year cycle... They were good too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT