ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield - DeMatha Scrimmage

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Westfield and DeMatha held their annual scrimmage this afternoon after being rained out last night. It went about as I expected when you have a good public school team facing a nationally ranked private school powerhouse.

The two teams did the normal 10 plays per team in the first "half", running 10 plays for each team's first string offense and defense, then 10 plays for the second string offense and defense. WF's first team offense moved the ball a little, then some penalties and DM defensive pressure pushed them back. When DM went on offense, WF was able to get a pick that killed the DM drive. The 2nd string WF offense fared a bit better moving the ball, but was unable to score in their 10 plays. DM did better, getting a long TD to give DM a 1 score to zero score lead at the half.

The second "half" was game-like (but with only static KOs and punts). Both teams started the second half with their first strings in the game, but as the half went on each team began working in more and more subs. WF managed one early scoring drive and scored on a long pass play when the receiver adjusted back for the ball. DM scored a total of five times, 3 or 4 times against second stringers (I don't recall all the scores exactly, and after the first series or two the teams used liberal subs to get a look at a lot of players). You could see the superior size, speed, and athleticism of DM start to have an effect on WF.

Overall, having only 8-9 days of practice, I think this young WF team acquitted themselves very well. If today was any indication, more than half the WF starters will be SOs or JRs, including just about all the skill positions. Depending on the offensive set WF could have as many as 8-9 underclassmen on offense on any given play. I have been following this team since the year after the school opened and I don't recall ever having seen such a young WF team (with the possible exception of the first varsity year in 2001). If they learn from today and next week's scrimmage against MD power Quince Orchard, and continue to improve, these Bulldogs will certainly be in the region mix this year - and with a young team should be well prepared for next year as well.

Last edited:
so first team vs first team it was 2-1 Dematha? Pretty impressive regardless of the youth of WF. I'd be stunned if Westfield was not in the hunt at the end of the season for yet another 6A title. I think OS will be improved as well. Watch out for Manchester and TD out of Richmond to be stronger this season as well. This could be a very competitive field in 6A this year. Will the winner of the Beach district be worth anything? Cox won the Beach district last year but just got beat in a scrimmage by Kings Fork who is 4A. Maybe Landstown or Ocean Lakes will be a player? It would be nice to see representatives from all sides of the state have strong showing.

@falcettik who else up north in 6A is going to be strong this season?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I am hearing a lot of talk up here in NOVA about Centreville. They are poised to build on their 8-2 (9-3) record of last season and get back to states. If things work out I'll be at their scrimmage with Hylton on Friday and see if the hype is real.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I am hearing a lot of talk up here in NOVA about Centreville. They are poised to build on their 8-2 (9-3) record of last season and get back to states. If things work out I'll be at their scrimmage with Hylton on Friday and see if the hype is real.
Give us a full report if you get to go, please.

Spoke to Coach Haddock earlier this summer and he's very much excited about this Centreville group. Their offensive line is massive, featuring an Air Force commit in the trenches. Size wise, they should be as big as just about any Class 6 team in the state.

As the case tends to be, the Centreville/Westfield game this year has a chance to be an instant classic and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see those teams facing off for the Class 6, Region D Championship.

Reactions: mbonape1
If the scrimmage is anything like it has been the last few years, Hylton doesn't dress /play it's better players.

so first team vs first team it was 2-1 Dematha? Pretty impressive regardless of the youth of WF. I'd be stunned if Westfield was not in the hunt at the end of the season for yet another 6A title. I think OS will be improved as well. Watch out for Manchester and TD out of Richmond to be stronger this season as well. This could be a very competitive field in 6A this year. Will the winner of the Beach district be worth anything? Cox won the Beach district last year but just got beat in a scrimmage by Kings Fork who is 4A. Maybe Landstown or Ocean Lakes will be a player? It would be nice to see representatives from all sides of the state have strong showing.

It could have been 2-1 or 3-1 DM for the first strings; I don't recall exactly which players were in the game as the subbing was a few at a time, not the whole string.

I think the teams to watch up north are (in no particular order) listed below. My list is mostly the usual suspects, but some team usually comes out of nowhere to make a run (South Lakes last year) so we will see. Note: I don't know much about the teams in Prince William and that area, so I cannot speak to them. I suspect one or two should be on this list but just cannot say.

Centreville: Relatively young last year, and I have heard the same things other posters mention above. I cannot cite the source, but I believe I read somewhere where CV's Haddock said he thinks his defense will be good enough to hold teams to an average of one score a game or thereabout. If true, that is a stout defense. CV usually puts out a good team every year but some teams up here have more hyperbole around them than others, too. They lost in the playoffs last year to South Lakes 22-20 on a questionable call, so they could have gone further than they did but we will never know.

Madison: Expected to be good again this year but with the death of their coach this summer in a tragic accident, we will have to see if the team rallies for him or it hurts them.

South Lakes: they return all their skill players, but lost a lot elsewhere. Their recent rise has a tiny bit to do with FCPS redistricting, IMO, as they got a few new neighborhoods and I think the school is growing in size. Their schedule is such that they should get a high ranking by season's end, but until they can consistently beat the powerhouses their real strength as a program remains to be seen. They did make it to the region final/state semifinal last year but that, IMO, was a bit of luck (see CV comment above). They then surprised Lake Braddock but then got taken apart by Westfield.

Lake Braddock: Always decent, but they too lost a lot of key players and with Poythress forced out have an entire new coaching staff. We will have to see.

South County: Been consistently on the rise the past several years, but usually run into a team better than they are in the playoffs.

Robinson: They have not done well lately but are a solid program and if they get some semblance of a passing game they could be decent. Rumor Central: I heard a rumor that Poythress may be their HC now, so that may shake things up. But if someone knows the truth, please correct me.

It could have been 2-1 or 3-1 DM for the first strings; I don't recall exactly which players were in the game as the subbing was a few at a time, not the whole string.

I think the teams to watch up north are (in no particular order) listed below. My list is mostly the regular stalwarts, but some team usually comes out of nowhere to make a run (South Lakes last year) so we will see. Note: I don't know much about the teams in Prince William and that area, so I cannot speak to them. I suspect one or two should be on this list but just cannot say.

Centreville: Relatively young last year, and I have heard the same things other posters mention above. I cannot cite the source, but I believe I read somewhere where CV's Haddock said he thinks his defense will be good enough to hold teams to an average of one score a game or thereabout. If true, that is a stout defense. CV usually puts out a good team every year but some teams up here have more hyperbole around them than others, too. They lost in the playoffs last year to South Lakes 22-20 on a questionable call, so they could have gone further than they did but we will never know.

Madison: Expected to be good again this year but with the death of their coach this summer in a tragic accident, we will have to see if the team rallies for him or it hurts them.

South Lakes: they return all their skill players, but lost a lot elsewhere. Their schedule is such that they should get a high ranking by season's end, but until they can consistently beat the powerhouses their real strength as a program remains to be seen. They did make it to the region final/state semifinal last year, but that IMO that was a bit of luck (see CV comment above) and then they surprised Lake Braddock. They then got taken apart by Westfield.

Lake Braddock: Always decent, but they too lost a lot of key players and with Poythress forced out have an entire new coaching staff. We will have to see.

South County: Been consistently on the rise the past several years, but usuallyy run into a team better than they are in the playoffs.

Robinson: They have not done well lately but are a solid program and if they get some semblance of a passing game they could be decent. Rumor Central: I heard a rumor that Poythress may be their HC now, so that may shake things up. But if someone knows the truth, please correct me.
Think you are pretty spot on there... Another team I'd possibly add to that list is Hayfield, which figures to be a top contender to South County in the newly formed Gunson District. They've got a top-flight receiver in Brian Cobbs committed to Maryland and should win their fair share against a schedule not as grueling as some others, specifically those in the Concorde.

>>> Robinson: They have not done well lately but are a solid program and if they get some semblance of a passing game they could be decent. Rumor Central: I heard a rumor that Poythress may be their HC now, so that may shake things up. But if someone knows the truth, please correct me.

I watched an interview with Coach Vossler in another venue that was posted just today so I doubt your information is reliable.

Reactions: falcettik

I think the teams to watch up north are (in no particular order) listed below. My list is mostly the usual suspects, but some team usually comes out of nowhere to make a run (South Lakes last year) so we will see. Note: I don't know much about the teams in Prince William and that area, so I cannot speak to them. I suspect one or two should be on this list but just cannot say.

South Lakes: they return all their skill players, but lost a lot elsewhere. Their recent rise has a tiny bit to do with FCPS redistricting, IMO, as they got a few new neighborhoods and I think the school is growing in size. Their schedule is such that they should get a high ranking by season's end, but until they can consistently beat the powerhouses their real strength as a program remains to be seen. They did make it to the region final/state semifinal last year but that, IMO, was a bit of luck (see CV comment above). They then surprised Lake Braddock but then got taken apart by Westfield.

South County: Been consistently on the rise the past several years, but usually run into a team better than they are in the playoffs.

@falcettik Thanks for the insight. One last request, can you give me your pre-season NOVA top TEN regardless of classification?

>>> Robinson: They have not done well lately but are a solid program and if they get some semblance of a passing game they could be decent. Rumor Central: I heard a rumor that Poythress may be their HC now, so that may shake things up. But if someone knows the truth, please correct me.

I watched an interview with Coach Vossler in another venue that was posted just today so I doubt your information is reliable.

Thanks, 1amishfootballfan. I figured the information was bogus, but was not sure.

@falcettik Thanks for the insight. One last request, can you give me your pre-season NOVA top TEN regardless of classification?

I would say these are the 12 best in NOVA. I added two since there are so many teams in this area and I think there is a break after these 12. I am trying to include teams from Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudon counties. This list is not in any particular order, since we all know it is futile to try to predict the ways of 16-18 year olds.

Westfield
Centreville
Stonebridge
South Lakes
Colonial Forge
CD Hylton
Madison
Tuscarora
South County
Lake Braddock
Massaponax
Hayfield

Westfield and DeMatha held their annual scrimmage this afternoon after being rained out last night. It went about as I expected when you have a good public school team facing a nationally ranked private school powerhouse.

The two teams did the normal 10 plays per team in the first "half", running 10 plays for each team's first string offense and defense, then 10 plays for the second string offense and defense. WF's first team offense moved the ball a little, then some penalties and DM defensive pressure pushed them back. When DM went on offense, WF was able to get a pick that killed the DM drive. The 2nd string WF offense fared a bit better moving the ball, but was unable to score in their 10 plays. DM did better, getting a long TD to give DM a 1 score to zero score lead at the half.

The second "half" was game-like (but with only static KOs and punts). Both teams started the second half with their first strings in the game, but as the half went on each team began working in more and more subs. WF managed one early scoring drive and scored on a long pass play when the receiver adjusted back for the ball. DM scored a total of five times, 3 or 4 times against second stringers (I don't recall all the scores exactly, and after the first series or two the teams used liberal subs to get a look at a lot of players). You could see the superior size, speed, and athleticism of DM start to have an effect on WF.

Overall, having only 8-9 days of practice, I think this young WF team acquitted themselves very well. If today was any indication, more than half the WF starters will be SOs or JRs, including just about all the skill positions. Depending on the offensive set WF could have as many as 8-9 underclassmen on offense on any given play. I have been following this team since the year after the school opened and I don't recall ever having seen such a young WF team (with the possible exception of the first varsity year in 2001). If they learn from today and next week's scrimmage against MD power Quince Orchard, and continue to improve, these Bulldogs will certainly be in the region mix this year - and with a young team should be well prepared for next year as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT