ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield/Smith thoughts

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
Wow, I can't believe there's no discussion after that awesome game. We really have to find ways to get this board and the 5A board jumping again. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

This game was a pleasure to watch. I'm so glad I came. Two top flight QBs that could do it all, stud receivers, and big, tough lines. #27 for Oscar Smith really impressed me in the first half, but he was contained in the second half. I can't find much info out there about him and where's he's committed, if anywhere. Both teams executed their contrasted styles very well. I have wanted to see Westfield in person all of my football life, and they didn't disappoint. Their playaction game is beautiful. These were definitely the two best teams in the state, in any class. Both teams made big plays in all facets of the game, and I just knew Smith was going to come back and send it to OT. You could just feel it. What I didn't expect was them to choke in double OT! Especially after Westfield missed that PAT, I thought it was Smith's game to lose. They were flawless most of the game, then fumbled on back to back plays. Westfield's punter #5 (#FearTheMullet) was a beast and punted 60+ yarders with ease. Where is he going?

I really wanted to see Salem/Dinwiddie as well, but I couldn't pass 5A/6A up for the third time in a row, especially with two big-time rematches.

Another great game by both teams. Much respect to Westfield there Defense steps up when they have to make a play and thats been the difference for 2 years now. my hats off to #17 Mitchell he will go down as one of the best high school quarterbacks in VA period despite no winning a championship. Great kid and student athlete nothing but big things for him in the future. As for Smith we were young and old at the same time and many of those guys come back as juniors and seniors so look for us to be even better under coach Dee with an entire off season with his kids.The talent get's better and better and we will finish those short yardage situations that have cost us 2 championships in a row. We have lost 3 championships but with the talent we can won 3 straight championships as well. Great season again Tigers. Time to go to work

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
It was an exciting game that was nearly a repeat of last year's game - just one OT short of the 3 OT's in 2015. Three of #17 Johnson's four TDs were on corner fades - well thrown balls that were nearly indefensible with the size of the receivers (#97 Cockrill, #2 Eckert, #4 Frimpong - all listed as 6-3 in the program).

What surprised me a little is that Westfield did not use Johnson a little more in the running game - especially in the second half. Another thing that surprised me is that Westfield chose not to field any of Oscar Smith's punts. They lost a lot of field position multiple times by allowing the ball to roll 15-20 yards further downfield. OS ended up with a slight edge in punting average due to those rolls. Westfield had an All-Conference punt returner available if they wanted to risk using a sophomore.

P/PK #5 Brian Delaney is headed to UVA.

Great game for sure , In that situation on 4th and 3rd if i were the coach I'd gone for a pass put in the hands of the qb at least to give you another shot if WRs get coverd you scramble for the end zone or scramble around and until a WR gets open.

It was an exciting game that was nearly a repeat of last year's game - just one OT short of the 3 OT's in 2015. Three of #17 Johnson's four TDs were on corner fades - well thrown balls that were nearly indefensible with the size of the receivers (#97 Cockrill, #2 Eckert, #4 Frimpong - all listed as 6-3 in the program).

Johnson's corner fades were beautiful, well executed. Westfield took the advantage of the height of its receivers over Oscar Smith's shorter defenders. It showed how much Johnson had improved over last year.

What surprised me a little is that Westfield did not use Johnson a little more in the running game - especially in the second half. Another thing that surprised me is that Westfield chose not to field any of Oscar Smith's punts. They lost a lot of field position multiple times by allowing the ball to roll 15-20 yards further downfield. OS ended up with a slight edge in punting average due to those rolls. Westfield had an All-Conference punt returner available if they wanted to risk using a sophomore.

Johnson is a fine runner, and I agree that Westfield could have used him more. Westfield could have used a bigger running back against Oscar Smith; Westfield had to use #97 and #40 in certain situations because of their size. #97 was outstanding in the game as he played at both TE and FB positions.

Another thing that surprised me is that Westfield chose not to field any of Oscar Smith's punts. They lost a lot of field position multiple times by allowing the ball to roll 15-20 yards further downfield. OS ended up with a slight edge in punting average due to those rolls. Westfield had an All-Conference punt returner available if they wanted to risk using a sophomore.

I thought that it was insane not to field punts, and Westfield certainly paid the price for letting the ball roll too much. In Northern Virginia, some teams in fourth down would fake punts and run with the ball. Westfield apparently chose to put all defenders close to the line of scrimmage to stop any runs. Still, one player should be in the back to field the punted ball to get best possible field position for the next drive.

I thought Westfield defense played poorly in the fourth quarter as they allowed OS to get two TDs. Westfield didn't put any pressure on QB Shon Mitchell; instead, they gave Mitchell all the time to find his receiver. This is a passive defense. No attack on QB Mitchell, no blitz. QB Mitchell is capable of killing you if you give him too much room and time.

Who was that Oscar Smith #78? He was a BIG offensive lineman who stood out among all players on the field. His height & weight? Has he received any college offers?

Max Preps lists #78 as 6'5", 297, JR. I don't think so. Westfield has several defensive players who stand 6'2" to 6'4" and he was far taller than them. Maybe 6'7" or 6'8" and at least 325 lbs, possibly as much as 350. His size was similar to what I see most years when DeMatha scrimmages Westfield. Big kid.

6'5 320lbs junior he handled his business at tackle he is one of 4 lineman that return next year. His recruiting will pick up after the season. He will really be dominant next year.

6'5 320lbs junior he handled his business at tackle he is one of 4 lineman that return next year. His recruiting will pick up after the season. He will really be dominant next year.
That weight seems more reasonable and he does not appear to be "heavy", just big. Saw some of his highlights. He really pushed D-linemen around. He should get some looks but his quickness may hinder him some.

I hear the contract to play this years championship games were for one year. Whats everyone's thoughts about playing the games at Hampton and William & Mary?

I'm a UVA season ticket holder and live in DC so I was partial to playing the 5A-6A at Scott Stadium, especially considering the overwhelming majority of 5A-6A schools, probably 90% are within 150 miles. The decision several years ago to play 5A-6A at Virginia Tech was a disaster with most schools in those classifications over 200+ miles away and the crowds showed it. 1A-2A, ok..but not 5A-6A. However, my favorite place all time to play the 5A-6A (old AAA Division 5-6) was City Stadium in Richmond. Is that a place that can be the host moving forward?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT