ADVERTISEMENT

What are the interesting games in week 1?

Hylton at Robinson an interesting intercounty matchup
Lake Braddock at Westfield, big test for LB under the new coach
Colonial Forge at Patriot

Reactions: Coach_DLambo25
In 6A North you don't get much bigger than Lake Braddock @ Westfield for Week 1. Lake Braddock is the largest school in Fairfax County (and the 5th largest in Virginia). They lost a lot from last year but as always they come back loaded. They have 8 winning seasons in a row and 6 of them were 10-or-more win seasons. IMO, the best program in the VHSL to never win a state title.

They did lose their long time head coach Jim Poythress in a controversial debacle – but they will be ready to play led by SR QB Jack Darcy. Their new HC Mike Dougherty was HC at Dominon (2003-2007), Stonewall Jackson (2008-2013) and W.T. Woodson (2014-2016). He got Woodson into the playoffs last year after a six-year absence. He also had two good years at Stonewall – 2012 & 2013 – they made it to the 6A North regional semis in 2013 behind the strength of the awesome two-way player Greg Stroman.

Westfield is obviously coming off back-2-back state championships. They have made the playoffs 15 years in a row and have 6 consecutive seasons with 11 or more wins. It will be interesting to see if this is a rebuilding year or just reloading as they did graduate the majority of their star players. Lake Braddock has won the last two regular season match-ups (in 2013 and 2014), but Westfield bounced LB from the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons (2013,-14 & -15). South Lakes upset of LB last fall prevented a 4th consecutive playoff meeting.

I don't know that I would pick Westfield to win this game with SO QB Noah Kim making his first varsity start. I think the last time a SO QB started for Westfield was 2005 - now Chicago Bear's QB Mike Glennon.

The games previously mentioned are definitely much more prominent but..

How about the"new look" James River (Ric) @Riverbend? JR will be running the hurry up this year with a new head coach who is certainly optimistic. His goal is to score 30pts+ per game and thinks he has the personel to do it. I think that is a bit lofty. Not sure how good Riverbend is this year but they went toe - toe with a tough Charlottesville team in a scrimmage. I think Riverbend takes it but I wouldn't be stunned if JR got a huge upset.

Reactions: Coach_DLambo25
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT