ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the top 5 boys teams in the State?

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Lancaster
Northumberland
Riverheads
Franklin?
Essex?
Surry?

Eastside still good? GW?

Who will be in the final 8? or has a good shot?

I appreciate you putting Riverheads in this discussion, but I guess last year they technically DID finish in the top eight in the state, so I understand your logic. This year will be interesting because, as I reported earlier, they lost an all-state player who would have been back but has elected not to play this year. But they have almost everyone else back, plus a transfer big kid of so-far unknown ability, since we can't start our basketball season until late next week due to Saturday's football championship game.

I think it’s a region A party in the top 5

1.Lancaster-Defending state champs has to be 1 however loss a lot of senior fire power from last year team.

2. Northumberland
3.Eastside
4.Surry
5.Essex

Sleeper -Essex is definitely a team that should not be slept on. A great coach addition and also returning a lot of key players.

Franklin -is ford playing ? If so this team is a top 5 team.

Honaker - Don’t know much about them but they are always in the mix

Cumberland- Had a pretty good team last year. Played Northumberland hard last year In state Quarters last year. How many seniors did they lose last year ?

Riverheads - Seen one poster mentioning returning a lot of players from last year team could be in the picture in March

Rappahannock-who I think is going to be competitive this year Returning a lot of players from
Last year team and some key additions . That score against King &Queen bothers me a little seeing how Northumberland had 0 problems with them a couple days ago

1A Region C Auburn has caught the attention of a lot of teams early at 7-0. GW is 3-0 early and should be a contender in Region C. Bland returns 5 starters from a team that was seconds away from a state berth last year losing to covington in region semi’s.

Eastside out of Region D should be high quality level Basketball despite losing their top 2 players last year. Chilhowie In Region D is a senior laden group that could be a 2nd team to advance in region D. Possibly some teams further west im not familiar with that can contend for the west.

Could very well be that a big majority of contenders are in the east this year.

Surry is ranked #1 in the State right now, with a 20 pt win over Northampton, a team that Lancaster lost to....just fyi

Northumberland got blown out by Colonial Beach earlier this week. Once again....Lancaster is definitely not at 100%.

Wayyyy too early for that. But they are good.

Go watch a game in that gym. You’ll understand why some people have them as number one. The atmosphere there is electric. Guys up and down the roster that can flat out play. One of the more dangerous teams in the last couple years to come out of Surry.

Reactions: afitnupe75
I think it’s a region A party in the top 5

1.Lancaster-Defending state champs has to be 1 however loss a lot of senior fire power from last year team.

2. Northumberland
3.Eastside
4.Surry
5.Essex

Sleeper -Essex is definitely a team that should not be slept on. A great coach addition and also returning a lot of key players.

Franklin -is ford playing ? If so this team is a top 5 team.

Honaker - Don’t know much about them but they are always in the mix

Cumberland- Had a pretty good team last year. Played Northumberland hard last year In state Quarters last year. How many seniors did they lose last year ?

Riverheads - Seen one poster mentioning returning a lot of players from last year team could be in the picture in March

Rappahannock-who I think is going to be competitive this year Returning a lot of players from
Last year team and some key additions . That score against King &Queen bothers me a little seeing how Northumberland had 0 problems with them a couple days ago
Ford playing

Surry Boys just beat a good Brunswick team at Brunswick without one of their top players. Currently ranked #1 in the State 1A #17 overall...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT