ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the top teams in 3 a now ?

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Phoebus , Magna Vista got swatted by JF !
What about Brookville ? Northside is 2-1 after pulling away late to beat winless Hidden Valley . They completely shut down Heritage a week earlier ! They lost to Pulaski in a close game . Anybody in east or north ? What about Staunton River and Lord Botetourt ?

I still think its the same. MV lost to a very good 4a team. If byrd comes in a beats them i think it changes then. Northside is picking it up and playing better. I think the most consistent so far though is Brookville. They seem to be playing good football and have a good passing game. They could very well be 9-0 going into the last game withJF.. LB and Staunton river i dont think been challenged good yet, but thats about to change for SR. Of course this is the west, im not familiar with east teams.

Yes , Staunton River takes on Forest next week with its single wing , probably another high scoring affair . Botetourt will swat Fort Defiance before meeting Northside ! Northside is home against Salem next week .

Yes , Staunton River takes on Forest next week with its single wing , probably another high scoring affair . Botetourt will swat Fort Defiance before meeting Northside ! Northside is home against Salem next week .
Yea i think the next few weeks you should be able to tell who has what. MV has byrd this week, but after that the schedule kinda weakens until the last game at GW.

I think Staunton River has made big improvements, they probably won't have much for JF, but may have something for LB & Northside in the BRD. LB should get Lythgoe back this week so they have their 2 headed monster running game back with Fletcher scoring 5 TD Friday.

Honestly i believe these imaginary rankings are pointless especially when there are very good teams across the board that rarely have cross regional matchups until the state championship game. I believe Phoebus may be the only Eastern Region team ranked. Poquoson should be ranked if they are Div. 3. I'd say have the rankings later in the season like the old BCS.

Honestly i believe these imaginary rankings are pointless especially when there are very good teams across the board that rarely have cross regional matchups until the state championship game. I believe Phoebus may be the only Eastern Region team ranked. Poquoson should be ranked if they are Div. 3. I'd say have the rankings later in the season like the old BCS.
Hopewell is s solid football team. Don't sleep on them.

Hopewell is s solid football team. Don't sleep on them.

No, I'm not sleeping on them, I wasn't aware that Hopewell was a Div 3 school. I haven't been following them. I'm sure there are more strong teams that I'm unaware of.

No, I'm not sleeping on them, I wasn't aware that Hopewell was a Div 3 school. I haven't been following them. I'm sure there are more strong teams that I'm unaware of.
I'm not saying they could beat The Blue and Gold (Phoebus); however, they do have some talent. They beat Powhatan this past week and Tabb in their opener. They have two tough games coming up (Hanover and Dinwiddie). We should have a clear idea about the Blue Devils after that.

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
Well now that i know, I'll by keeping an eye on the Blue Devils lol. In all honesty, Phoebus' coaches and players aren't really focused on what other teams are doing. They're just working hard in practice each week to get better. Idk if we are #1 right now or not but we have a ways to go before we see how good this team can and will be. Talent wise this team is loaded but just haven't had a chance to play them collectively. We've had several injuries to key players early on but we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
hopewell beats a good tabb team 49-20,,,and james monroe barely survives on last cple plays to squeak by york h.s,,,i would have hopewell ranked over jm and have poquoson ranked if jm is gonna be ranked at all...this bias of west over east will be settled by phoebus winning the next 10 state titles in a row...go phs

That's a good plan. Too many teams/fans spend time worrying about playoff opponents. We are just in week 3, but I have too be honest too. You guys beat my Generals twice in the playoffs and unfortunately we will not be able to exact our revenge since we are not in the same division. Yes, its hard to forget and old wounds heal very slowly. LT is our new nemesis from the 757. Hope we get another crack at them someday. We need to break the tie. Got to get to them first. A lot of good teams in 4 east and the additions have made it even tougher.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
hopewell beats a good tabb team 49-20,,,and james monroe barely survives on last cple plays to squeak by york h.s,,,i would have hopewell ranked over jm and have poquoson ranked if jm is gonna be ranked at all...this bias of west over east will be settled by phoebus winning the next 10 state titles in a row...go phs
So you wouldn't rank JM. I don't have an issue with Phoebus being number 1 but the numbers will change throughout the season and the season is young. Lot's of surprises already. And saying Phoebus will win the next 10 State Championships in a row is simple insanity.

Well now that i know, I'll by keeping an eye on the Blue Devils lol. In all honesty, Phoebus' coaches and players aren't really focused on what other teams are doing. They're just working hard in practice each week to get better. Idk if we are #1 right now or not but we have a ways to go before we see how good this team can and will be. Talent wise this team is loaded but just haven't had a chance to play them collectively. We've had several injuries to key players early on but we'll see.

When is the last time Phoebus was healthy? 2012? Seems like every year they are beat up.

West bias? Rod has been accused many times from people out West of having an East bias. First time I've heard of a West bias.

Reactions: kevtodd5
3a East is usually JM and some rag tag teams. No disrespect but Poquoson isn't a power.

Bleeding Navy is in a position to have an ear to the ground on Hopewell. We all would be smart to listen. And he and I both saw James Monroe live and up close. They are the REAL deal.

I'm still not convinced that Phoebus is back to their dominant status. Until a good showing in the playoffs, I will continue to believe that they are riding past glory. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not my pick to go to the State game this year.

Coach Mills would never, ever look past the next game, even if it was against the local rec league team. But we fans have the luxury of looking ahead, and thinking wishfully. My wish? Hanover with Cheatham healthy, in the playoffs. And Lake Taylor. This would be our chance for paybacks, but it is also meant to be a complement. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

JF is that good. Magna Vista will roar back and heaven help their opponents the rest of the way. They now have an even bigger chip on their shoulders. They are my pick for the west champ in 3a. And JF is my pick for 4a west champ. (Sorry Hammy and Mike).

Bleeding Navy is in a position to have an ear to the ground on Hopewell. We all would be smart to listen. And he and I both saw James Monroe live and up close. They are the REAL deal.

I'm still not convinced that Phoebus is back to their dominant status. Until a good showing in the playoffs, I will continue to believe that they are riding past glory. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not my pick to go to the State game this year.

Coach Mills would never, ever look past the next game, even if it was against the local rec league team. But we fans have the luxury of looking ahead, and thinking wishfully. My wish? Hanover with Cheatham healthy, in the playoffs. And Lake Taylor. This would be our chance for paybacks, but it is also meant to be a complement. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

JF is that good. Magna Vista will roar back and heaven help their opponents the rest of the way. They now have an even bigger chip on their shoulders. They are my pick for the west champ in 3a. And JF is my pick for 4a west champ. (Sorry Hammy and Mike).
Losing a couple of linemen for the year, one on each side of the ball, will make it an even bigger challenge for Salem to get back to the title game. They don't have great experienced depth on the lines. Secondary is another potential weak spot for the Spartans against a good balanced team.

3a East is usually JM and some rag tag teams. No disrespect but Poquoson isn't a power.
I tend to agree with you Devils; however, I do think Phoebus will be a factor injured or not. Nice right hook! I was not trying to imply Hopewell would be special or win it all. They play a really solid schedule. In fact, their first 6 games include: d-4 teams (Tabb, Powhatan, Hanover and Dinwiddie), d-3 Petersburg and d-5 Meadowbrook. Aside from Colonial Heights they finish with 3 D-5 teams including Thomas Dale. Not many D-3 teams can match that schedule. If they survive these wars they will be battled tested and ready for the playoffs. Can they beat Phoebus or the mighty teams from the West? Only time will tell, but if they keep playing well they certainly can hang with them. They are a bit small on defense, but are quick and tackle well. Not my favorite team for sure, but I respect what they have accomplished thus far.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I tend to agree with you Devils; however, I do think Phoebus will be a factor injured or not. Nice right hook! I was not trying to imply Hopewell would be special or win it all. They play a really solid schedule. In fact, their first 6 games include: d-4 teams (Tabb, Powhatan, Hanover and Dinwiddie), d-3 Petersburg and d-5 Meadowbrook. Aside from Colonial Heights they finish with 3 D-5 teams including Thomas Dale. Not many D-3 teams can match that schedule. If they survive these wars they will be battled tested and ready for the playoffs. Can they beat Phoebus or the mighty teams from the West? Only time will tell, but if they keep playing well they certainly can hang with them. They are a bit small on defense, but are quick and tackle well. Not my favorite team for sure, but I respect what they have accomplished thus far.
That is a tough schedule for a 3A but Hopewell has done well so far. We'll just have to wait till the end of the season to see. Even if they get a mid level playoff spot, these encounters should serve them well in making a run.

That is a tough schedule for a 3A but Hopewell has done well so far. We'll just have to wait till the end of the season to see. Even if they get a mid level playoff spot, these encounters should serve them well in making a run.
I am going to watch Hopewell play Hanover this weekend, so I will try and give you a fair analysis. I'm no Rod or Dan, but I will give it my best shot. I tend to focus on line play and x/o's so I will have to pay a bit more attention to the play makers. Should be a good game. My gut instinct tells me to go with OC Boys theory that smash mouth wins out. Hanover in a close one.

When is the last time Phoebus was healthy? 2012? Seems like every year they are beat up.
We do get banged up quite a bit. For instance we've had both our top receivers miss substantial time in the first three games. Elijah Nelson hasn't played since week one and he was used for defensive purposes in that game (vs Wilson). We also have an amazing young play maker in Andre Jackson that's been nicked up and missed all of preseason and much of the first two games. Also starting RB Jomari Becnel was nursing a sprained ankle. We haven't really played as a complete unit as of yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT