ADVERTISEMENT

Why no cross-bracketing for the semis?

otnorot

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 31, 2006
They did it in 2020, why did they decide to go back to having two regions on each side of the bracket? Patriot and Battlefield are going to play for a fifth time.

I agree this is ridiculous, but I think you probably know the answer-$$$. As it turned out this year, all four semifinalists are in the northern regions of the state. If a team from RVA or the Beach had advanced, the VHSL woes the day since the traveling team won't get near as many fans if they have to drive 2-4 hours. It would be only one long trip for the year for most teams to travel to that semifinal.

or maybe NoVa needs to rethink the concept of District scheduling. RVa has more of less abandoned districts in basketball and football and go straight into regional play at the end of the year.

I agree this is ridiculous, but I think you probably know the answer-$$$. As it turned out this year, all four semifinalists are in the northern regions of the state. If a team from RVA or the Beach had advanced, the VHSL woes the day since the traveling team won't get near as many fans if they have to drive 2-4 hours. It would be only one long trip for the year for most teams to travel to that semifinal.
Yeah, it's just that they had finally started cross-bracketing in 2020 and the travel was the same then, so curious why they changed their mind.

Last edited:
Never knew they cross bracketed. Always thought it was A vs B and C vs D.

Never knew they cross bracketed. Always thought it was A vs B and C vs D.
Classes 3 through 6 cross-bracketed the semis in 2020. Except for Class 3 boys, all the championship matchups ended up being between teams that are normally on the same side of the bracket.

or maybe NoVa needs to rethink the concept of District scheduling. RVa has more of less abandoned districts in basketball and football and go straight into regional play at the end of the year.
I don't see your point about having or abandoning districts having anything to do with cross districting at the state level tournament. What did I miss? Furthermore, I think RVA abandoning districts is due more to the fact that the district makeups span at least three groups, Classes 4-6, in most cases. You don't have those issues in NOVA.

I don't see your point about having or abandoning districts having anything to do with cross districting at the state level tournament. What did I miss? Furthermore, I think RVA abandoning districts is due more to the fact that the district makeups span at least three groups, Classes 4-6, in most cases. You don't have those issues in NOVA.
The complaint was having to play the same team 4-5 times in one year. If you didn't have to schedule them that would not be the case - for instance Greensville and John Marshall is only meeting for the second time.

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT