ADVERTISEMENT

Will anybody challenge Brunswick or Floyd this tournament?

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
They look like they are the two top dogs, from what I have seen and heard...

I realize anybody can be beat and match-ups can be a big factor, but they both seem to be the real deal.

Is anybody picking against these two in their brackets?

don't ever overlook George Mason(3) or Clarke County(1) on that side.........and Gate City(1) or Wise Central on this side............................5 state titles in last 8 years............ they know what they are doin...and Floyd has 2 of the other 3

Scouted Brunswick Friday night, I would say Wilson or Clark Co will give them all they want...Wilson & Clark plays defense. I can tell you Amelia played no defense against them at all resulting in a 61 point win...in the finals...seriously!

I'll take the Hornets!

these tournaments are always really fun to watch, especially when a team that had some ups and downs in the regular season decides to get hot and challenge the teams that started the year in midseason form... i'll be curious to see if brunswick and floyd do indeed run the table or if a team like lee/page/wilson/clarke find a way to catch fire and surprise us. Going to be a fun playoff regardless!

Lets not overlook Luray Coach Ponn ( Coach of the YEAR ) has his girls playing some good ball at the right time of the year!They have a lot of hard nosed players that don't mind playing rough ( Sable player of the YEAR ).

Should be an interesting tournament! Floyd and Brunswick have to be the favorites but you just never know at this time of the year. Someone could get hot and make a run!

I love tourney time! These are the days when I really miss coaching!

I would love to hear more details about Brunswick... other than scores people post... I know they are good whats competition level?

Let's keep in mind that Clarke had a handle on the game with Luray last week and just hit a slump in the fourth quarter. Luray hit its free throws and Sable led them back like the good player she is. She is definitely the heart and soul of that team and they are lucky to have her. You know Chrane was unstoppable and the other players on their team just couldn't hit shots late. Don't get wrapped up in "your" victory too much. If they played 10 times, I bet you Clarke wins at least five maybe six of them. I saw Brunswick last season and I believe it graduated just one starter. Better get your track shoes on because they are going to run any team they play until they're gassed. I hate to break the news to you but not many are even going to play them close (less than 15 points). As much as I admire the season Clarke has had (all its key scorers are coming back next season too), I think Brunswick and Floyd are in a class all to themselves.

ibtxn, the teams Brunswick play in its district and some in its conference are not very good (one team scored 8 or 9 against them this year), but I think the Bulldogs play a strong out of conference schedule and have a lot of players that are together year around (including AAU) to be able to develop that strong chemistry. The teams has a couple of Stiths, so that alone makes them challenging all ready. They've got some players that can shoot, others that put it on the floor and create well, and others that simply run you until your legs are ready to drop. I saw them against Spotswood at states last year and they competed for long stretches against a very good and more experienced team. Yes, they lost in the end but I imagine that state experience toughened them up and they'll be ready to handle all comers this time. I think Clarke will bounce back tonight (if they play since Mother Nature is rearing her ugly hand once again as I type) but Thursday is going to be the toughest challenge that group has faced in three years on the floor. Whatever happens, Clarke has had an outstanding season.

Thank ya sir! mine needs to get healthy...

I enjoy reading your opinion most of the time spot on!
This post was edited on 2/25 10:19 AM by ibtxn

Not just a Luray fan but a basketball fan . Not saying that at this time Luray is the best team but I have played on and coached teams that got hot at the right time and won games we were not suppose to have won. That's what makes this time of year special for a true basketball fan.

They have played some really tough competition (teams in much higher divisions that are actually pretty good) as well as some not so tough competition.

Lurayfan you are right, as we should not be overlooking the bulldogs! They may be the sleeper team this postseason.

Coach Hartman, I'm sure a lot of schools around here would be happy to take you in if you miss coaching bad enough lol...

Keith_Stone33...keep your eyes open...you never know where I'll appear! LOL I might be like "Where's Waldo?" Hahaha

I'm coaching my son's 8-9 year old team this season. It's the first time I've coached since we won the state championship. Big difference in level! LOL

21base you are thinking just as I do with Brunswick and Floyd. I just don't see anybody coming within double digits. I've seen luray play and they are well coached team. Haven't had the chance to see Clarke. I'm sure they are well coached also. Brunswick can possibly win it all at any level

Taking a bite (and the fight) out of opponents

I would imagine, save for a few elite players, that most of them (10, 11, how many players they might have) play year-around together, whether that be high school or AAU. I saw that talent last season and for them to get to the last game in D3 and give a very good Spotswood a fight for a good while proved to me how good these girls could be. Brunswick's just going to continue to be a machine for a number of years to come. It's not going to be 75-7 for the teams that have to play them from here on out, but if anyone plays them closer than 20 (maybe Floyd will) I'll be shocked.

And no one need come on here and sugarcoat it saying "That's why they play the game" or "Anything can happen at playoff time." Not here, will it happen.

I believe Brunswick will win it all this year. I saw them play twice this year. They are a great team. Fun to watch. Im pretty sure Floyd is a great team also, but I cant see anyone stopping them

Gate City is the only other team that appears to be a threat to Brunswick or Floyd. Floyd plays them in the region semis Thursday. One of those 2 will be eliminated. Brunswick may have no competition until the title game. If what has been posted in this thread is true, they will have no competition then.

Hey, promise keeper

If Clarke comes out like it did last night in the first half against Wilson and can't hit shots, then yes, it will probably get ugly in a hurry. But if Clarke doesn't get rattled (easy for me to say, playing against a great team that has incredible support from its fans on their home court) and gets a few breaks here and there, they might still be in it early second half. But facing Brunswick might be too tall a task, given all its athleticism from player No. 1 to player No. 10. I still think Brunswick might be a little too much for Clarke, and the season likely comes to a halt with a loss between 20-25 points. No shame in falling to what will probably end up being the state champs in 2A, Clarke. If the Eagles pull an upset, I will gladly come on here and confess I was wrong.

Brunswick has all 5 positions covered, point to post, can score inside and out, and can do so about 8-10 deep.
Fresh
legs make their court smaller and their opponents court longer. With
their depth, the opponent must defend all 5 straight up. No gimmics,
double-teams, etc. A rare quality in 2A, which is why BSHS will go all
the way. No doubt about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT