ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson Shuts Out Riverheads 5-0

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Can't give you too many details on this one because I left midway through the fifth due to another commitment but I see I did not miss any scoring after I left. The Hornets scored two runs in the first off RHS starting pitcher Levi Dunlap and then added three more in the fourth off reliever Colton Kwiecinski.

But it is obvious from the score that on this particular day, Wilson had the ace pitcher and I believe his name was Mason McDowell. Through the five RHS at bats that I witnessed, the Gladiators only managed three hits and he only threw something like 55 pitches.

Riverheads did pull off a wild double play to end the third inning that is worth mentioning. Wilson had runners on first and second with one out. The batter hit a line drive to third for the second out. The Gladiators then tried to double up the guy on second before he could get back to the base but the throw overshot the bag. He then took off for third and the Gladiators tried to nail him there. That throw also missed connecting so the guy took off for home. Remember at this point it would still have only been 2-0. But finally on the third attempt to put out the same base runner, the Big Red nailed him at the plate to end the inning.

The two teams meet again Friday afternoon in Greenville for a regularly-scheduled game as tonight's was a make-up date from an earlier rain out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT