ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Final Thoughts

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Wanted to finish up the year with a final post. It'll contain scattered info. I'll try not to ramble.

State Final:
First off, hats off Salem Spartans for their perfect season. They indeed proved me wrong and they looked great doing it. LT had a great year as well, congrats to them on their East Championship. The final was one of the best games I've seen, defense at it's finest. Salem's cover 2 man and LTs cover 0 man both played lights out. The difference to me was the QB play on offense. Beckley had a slightly better day than Hughey. Though he only completed 4 passes, he threw a number of great balls and didn't turn it over. He won the game with a couple scrambles and that bootleg to set up their 2nd score. Hughey running 7 times for 8 yards and staring down Wayne Davis on some key throws late rather than reading the coverage and taking what was given hurt LT. Salem hit on 2 of the 3 keys I had for them. They used motion and rub routes with wideouts and threw in the middle of the field and they pressured Hughey and hit him whenever they could, he appeared rattled at times and that was the difference. LT's lack of kicking game cost them the title, that defense shut Salem down in the 2nd half. Both teams had great gameplan and both teams played well, Salem just caught a few more breaks and more importantly they seized a few key moments and made more plays than LT. They earned the title and proved they were the better team this year. Looking at the teams rosters, they'll both likely be favored to win their Regions next year.

Players:
Wayne Davis, Navy Jones, Vic Greene, George Cheatum and K'Vaughn Pope were the top 5 skill players I saw this year in 4A, in no particular order. The ladder 2 will be back for their teams next year and I fully expect them to wreak havoc on opponents all year. Some other guys who'll be back next year that everyone should be aware of are Dylan Rivers, Noah Beckley, Job Whalen, Viante Tucker, Jeremiah Boyd, PK Kier, Syour Flood, Jason Brown, D'Ago Hunter, Tyrek Hughey and Larry Basham. Each of them had solid underclassmen seasons and they all played on playoff teams with the exception of Basham.

Coaching:
My first year coaching was a great experience. Though we didn't finish as strong as we had hoped, I learned a lot and our kids grew tremendously over the course of the last 6-7 months. I have no doubt we'll continue trending up and hopefully we'll return to the playoffs next year as we return 8 starters on both sides of the ball. I have a higher respect for all coaches who put in so many hours for their kids. Lord willing, I'll be doing it until I retire.

VA Preps:
Shouts to Rod and all the wonderful staff at Preps for everything they do for the boards. I wasn't a big fan of the new look, layout of the site but right now I can say it's grown on me and I like it. To all of the posters that I met yesterday at LU and others I've met in the past 6-7 months, thanks for being a part of this community. It's a great place for us passionate HS football fans.

Next Year:
Though we have too much time until games begin, our weight program is already going and we're working hard as we know many games are won in the offseason weight program. Salem will certainly be the favorite with all they return. They and LT will now switch roles, Salem will be the hunted and LT will have the chip on their shoulder this offseason. With so many great players coming back, 4A should be just as entertaining as it was this year.

I'll probably post some of our players highlight films sporadically over the next few months and we'll inevitably hear of coaching changes. Here's to hoping the offseason goes by fast. Happy Holidays to everyone.

Wanted to finish up the year with a final post. It'll contain scattered info. I'll try not to ramble.

State Final:
First off, hats off Salem Spartans for their perfect season. They indeed proved me wrong and they looked great doing it. LT had a great year as well, congrats to them on their East Championship. The final was one of the best games I've seen, defense at it's finest. Salem's cover 2 man and LTs cover 0 man both played lights out. The difference to me was the QB play on offense. Beckley had a slightly better day than Hughey. Though he only completed 4 passes, he threw a number of great balls and didn't turn it over. He won the game with a couple scrambles and that bootleg to set up their 2nd score. Hughey running 7 times for 8 yards and staring down Wayne Davis on some key throws late rather than reading the coverage and taking what was given hurt LT. Salem hit on 2 of the 3 keys I had for them. They used motion and rub routes with wideouts and threw in the middle of the field and they pressured Hughey and hit him whenever they could, he appeared rattled at times and that was the difference. LT's lack of kicking game cost them the title, that defense shut Salem down in the 2nd half. Both teams had great gameplan and both teams played well, Salem just caught a few more breaks and more importantly they seized a few key moments and made more plays than LT. They earned the title and proved they were the better team this year. Looking at the teams rosters, they'll both likely be favored to win their Regions next year.

Players:
Wayne Davis, Navy Jones, Vic Greene, George Cheatum and K'Vaughn Pope were the top 5 skill players I saw this year in 4A, in no particular order. The ladder 2 will be back for their teams next year and I fully expect them to wreak havoc on opponents all year. Some other guys who'll be back next year that everyone should be aware of are Dylan Rivers, Noah Beckley, Job Whalen, Viante Tucker, Jeremiah Boyd, PK Kier, Syour Flood, Jason Brown, D'Ago Hunter, Tyrek Hughey and Larry Basham. Each of them had solid underclassmen seasons and they all played on playoff teams with the exception of Basham.

Coaching:
My first year coaching was a great experience. Though we didn't finish as strong as we had hoped, I learned a lot and our kids grew tremendously over the course of the last 6-7 months. I have no doubt we'll continue trending up and hopefully we'll return to the playoffs next year as we return 8 starters on both sides of the ball. I have a higher respect for all coaches who put in so many hours for their kids. Lord willing, I'll be doing it until I retire.

VA Preps:
Shouts to Rod and all the wonderful staff at Preps for everything they do for the boards. I wasn't a big fan of the new look, layout of the site but right now I can say it's grown on me and I like it. To all of the posters that I met yesterday at LU and others I've met in the past 6-7 months, thanks for being a part of this community. It's a great place for us passionate HS football fans.

Next Year:
Though we have too much time until games begin, our weight program is already going and we're working hard as we know many games are won in the offseason weight program. Salem will certainly be the favorite with all they return. They and LT will now switch roles, Salem will be the hunted and LT will have the chip on their shoulder this offseason. With so many great players coming back, 4A should be just as entertaining as it was this year.

I'll probably post some of our players highlight films sporadically over the next few months and we'll inevitably hear of coaching changes. Here's to hoping the offseason goes by fast. Happy Holidays to everyone.
I assume by the logo that you coach at Charlottesville High?

Yes sir. I've read of few of your post, gathered that you graduated from Heritage in '03? I graduated from Liberty in '05. Where do you coach?
I'm at Glass now. We probably know each other then. I know you know D. Rob and Gardner if you graduated from Liberty. We are thinking about trying to get y'all on the next schedule cycle.

I'm at Glass now. We probably know each other then. I know you know D. Rob and Gardner if you graduated from Liberty. We are thinking about trying to get y'all on the next schedule cycle.

D is my cousin and G was my position coach in high school. They told me about the scheduling yesterday. I hope it works out.

State Final:

Players:

Coaching:

VA Preps:

Next Year:

I'm glad I got to meet you yesterday. Great post! I would add De'Angelo Ramsey to the underclassman list. I think he has a chance to be a VERY special player for Salem. Good luck to you and your boys in Charlottesville next season. Also, thanks for being part of a number of great posters on here that have provided and continue to provide some great insight into a sport I cherish above all others.

VA Preps:

Thanks for the kind words and for your participation on the boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT