ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Has Four More Games to Tie Up Some Loose Ends

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The regular season was originally scheduled to wrap up tonight (Monday the 12th) but there will also be one make-up game on Wednesday night. After that, several of our teams will await their seeding for regional playoffs.

Staunton has of course claimed the district title, but the next three positions are up for grabs and will be decided by the results of two of the four remaining games. Their final standings in the district may not mean anything to any of the three teams involved since I assume all of them are playoff-bound, but still it might be considered a badge of honor to be the team that finishes immediately behind Staunton.

Presently Stuarts Draft and Fort Defiance have three losses each and Wilson has four. So Monday's Fort at Draft game and Wednesday's Fort at Wilson game will sort out those three positions. The Cougars, who were unbeaten in the district until quite recently, are in the best position to finish second to Staunton, but Fort Defiance could also claim the number two spot if they win both games. Most likely there will be a tie someplace, but as already mentioned, it will not matter because the state rating scale determines playoff seeding. As discussed in other threads, that information has been hard to find but I would assume the top four and probably Buffalo Gap as well will all advance to represent the Shenandoah in post-season play.

Speaking of the Bison, they will entertain Waynesboro in one of the Monday games and that winner will claim the number five spot in the final standings. The loser will finish sixth, with Riverheads locked into the final spot in the rankings.

Here are the four games on tap:

Riverheads at Staunton: This game will have no real meaning in the standings, although Staunton would of course like to finish unbeaten. Riverheads, as I have addressed throughout the season, has been a young team this year, and as such, their loss to Buffalo Gap Friday night was their eighth loss of the year by single digits and seven of those eight were by four points or less as the Gladiators have re-defined the phrase "close but no cigar." I know most folks say a loss is a loss but hopefully they have learned a lot about what they could have done to win some of those close ones, so if the team dedicates itself to working hard in the off-season, better days should be ahead next year when they will have seniors all up and down the line-up instead of the zero they had this year. As far as this game in Staunton goes, of course the Storm will win it, but I am sure the Gladiators will look at it as a challenge and still give it 100% effort.

Waynesboro at Buffalo Gap: The Bison squeaked by Waynesboro by two points the first time around. But with home court advantage, and presumably a Senior Night atmosphere, look for them to ease out to about a 10-12 point win in this one. if the Gap does indeed make the regional field, they will be the only area team competing at the Class 1 level.

Fort Defiance at Stuarts Draft: As discussed last week, Stuarts Draft has an odd habit of winning crucial road games but losing at home. So in case you didn't hear, they did fool me once again by losing at home to Wilson Friday night after beating the Hornets earlier in the year at The Hive. So since they easily beat the Fort on its own floor a week or so ago, will anyone really be surprised if the Indians roll into the Cougar Den and knock them off? I will go with the Draft which will probably be the kiss of death and lead to an Indian win.

Fort Defiance at Wilson (Wednesday): When these two met at the Fort, the Indians won easily. So just to be making a prediction, I will say that they will sweep the series from the Hornets. So if I am right about these last two games, the Cougars will finish in the two spot with the three losses they already have, the Indians will claim the number three spot with an 8-4 district record, and Wilson will drop to fourth at 7-5.

Regardless, best of luck to all our Shenandoah teams in the regional playoffs and hopefully some will even advance to the state level. Speaking of state level competition, this upcoming weekend (16th-17th) will be the state wrestling tournaments down in Salem for Classes 1 and 2. Riverheads is an annual fixture in that event and will be again, but I assume that some individual wrestlers from Fort, Draft and Gap may also have qualified.

As for our Class 3 teams, I know nothing about their success in wrestling or where their state tournament might be held. Too many sports.......so little time!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT