ADVERTISEMENT

February 5-7: Five games on tap involving Shenandoah District Teams

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The regular season is heading into its final week of action and fortunately the weather is going to cooperate. So for the Monday through Wednesday part of this week, we have a non-district game on Monday, the regularly-scheduled three-game Tuesday night slate, and Round Two of Stuarts Draft/Staunton is set for Wednesday. Here is the line-up....

MONDAY: East Rockingham at Waynesboro: I don't recall this one being snowed out so I assume it has always been on the calendar for this date. Also I don't see any signs that they have played already this year, so apparently this is a one-game-only deal as opposed to a home and home. ER has been one of the weaker teams in the Valley this year and really got smoked recently by district-leading Spotswood, but I still see them as being strong enough to take down the Little Giants.

TUESDAY: Riverheads at Waynesboro: When these two met the first time in Greenville, the Gladiators roared out of the gate and had a huge lead at halftime. They still led by 17 at the end of the third quarter but the Big Red went stone cold and only scored two points in the fourth quarter, while Waynesboro stormed back with a 23-point surge to take an improbable 45-41 win. These two are battling Buffalo Gap for the 5-7 slots in the final standings (which is to say no one wants to finish in the basement) so this game will help determine those final placements. My personal hope is that the Gladiators circled this date on the calendar quite some time ago and are just plain mad about what happened that night and are therefore determined to show that the first game was a fluke. So I will go with the Big Red to even the score. As for Waynesboro, they have only won one other game besides that one, and they have scored as low as 20 in some contests. However they will understandably be highly-motivated to sweep the series from the Gladiators. Should be another defensive slugfest.

TUESDAY: Wilson at Staunton: I believe I am correct that mathematically Wilson has come the closest to Staunton this season, but I think that margin was still something like 21 points and it was at Wilson. The remaining schedule favors The Storm to just waltz to an undefeated district record as three of their final four games are all at home. Wilson might be able to hang with them for a quarter or so, but this will be yet another easy win for Staunton.

TUESDAY: Fort Defiance at Buffalo Gap: The Indians took it on the chin Thursday night in front of their home fans as a disappointing 16 point loss to Stuarts Draft knocked them out of any chance at the Shenandoah title. They beat the Bison 91-64 the first time around but this one could be a bit tighter. Despite being one of the three lower-seeded teams in the league, the Gap gave SD a surprisingly close game last week, so if some of those three-point bombs fail to hit for the Indians, this one could actually be quite a bit closer. I still see the Fort winning by 12-15 but don't be surprised if you hear about a different outcome.

WEDNESDAY: Stuarts Draft at Staunton: Last week both of these teams were unbeaten in district play and facing their first battle at the Draft. For those of you who haven't heard, The Storm manhandled the home team 78-40 in that one. Cougar Pride will be at stake in this make-up date re-match, so I expect a closer game. It could even be Staunton's closest game of the season in district play, but they will still prevail and "officially" clinch the district title.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Just read that Wilson will have a return engagement with Maggie Walker on Wednesday. They will of course travel for that one, since they hosted MW last week. Since the Hornets won by about 30 something at home, they should be expected to win again.

No. In fact I can't even remember the last time there was one. We played it at EMU for a number of years which was a blast. Then I think it was played at home courts of higher seeds for a few years after that.

I just checked my records and it has not been as long as I thought. The last one was apparently held in 2019. After that it became a matter of using the state rating scale and sending teams directly to the regionals.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
No. In fact I can't even remember the last time there was one. We played it at EMU for a number of years which was a blast. Then I think it was played at home courts of higher seeds for a few years after that.

I just checked my records and it has not been as long as I thought. The last one was apparently held in 2019. After that it became a matter of using the state rating scale and sending teams directly to the regionals.
District tournaments are awesome. I hope they bring it back one day for the Shenandoah. Maybe high seeds for home court and possibly the championship at Mary Baldwin cause it's in the area? That could be fun.

I remember back 'in the day' when district tournaments actually meant something!

All the teams would play at one large venue - you would get a chance to see all the different teams/players.

Then the upsets would start...and sometimes the best teams would be left sitting home.

You definitely had to EARN your way to regionals back then (unless you were the regular season champion)

@blackknight_pride

Thought you might this throwback to 1990 Regional - featuring RE Lee (Staunton), James Monroe, Charlottesville and Culpeper.

This was the year that Lee (Staunton) went undefeated and won the Group AA title.

@blackknight_pride

Thought you might this throwback to 1990 Regional - featuring RE Lee (Staunton), James Monroe, Charlottesville and Culpeper.

This was the year that Lee (Staunton) went undefeated and won the Group AA title.

Dang right I'd like it. Man, that's epic. Wish we could bring back some of these old ways they did things. Who did Staunton beat in the final that year? I'm being lazy and could just look at the record book.

Man, what a time when the state championship was played at Uhall. Mind you, this was before I was born. It always amazes me how much success Hatcher had at RE Lee. One of the most accomplished high school coaches you will ever see. I hope valley basketball continues to improve in the coming years. Spotswood has a real chance at a state title this year, and even more so next year.

That 1990 "LEE" team was probably one of the best, if not "the best", team I ever saw at Lee over the years.

Kevin Madden's Lee teams of the mid 80s were great as well, but not as balanced as that Lee team (all 5 starters went on to play college ball)

Probably the toughest test Lee had that season was the regional championship against Culpeper.

I seem to remember a fan running onto the court and tripping a player during the game.

Keith Scott - Lee sophomore guard - put the team on his back that game and carried them to that win.

What year was it when Lee lost to Jefferson Senior at least three times during the season but then beat them when it counted the most?

Those 2 teams (Lee/Jefferson) played very close regular season games - Magicians won the last two games by 3 points each, including the Western District Tournament title 54-51 over Lee.

The Western District was ridiculously overloaded (14 team tournament) with so many quality teams that season - which included teams like Martinsville, GW-Danville, Halifax County and all the Roanoke schools.

In the semi-finals alone, Jefferson had to beat GW-Danville and Lee had to beat Martinsville.

Some of the best teams Martinsville ever had with Silver Williams, Anthony Hairston and Mark Cartwright. We played in AAA for about 6 or 7 years with a boat load of talent, if we had still been in AA we might of had 2 or 3 more state championships. Jefferson, Lee, GW and the rest all were loaded with talent.

Some areas of the state still have district tournaments while others go directly to regionals. Because of SBO’s forcing teams to play schools within a county or immediate area, regardless of classification just to save on transportation cost or simple convince. Out here in East Tennessee and most of SW Va there are still district tournaments because mossy or at least a majority are within in the same classification. I hear of some districts having as many as three or maybe up to four different class schools in so called districts. My question folks is this - What is the purpose of a district championship other than putting another trophy in the trophy case. 😂😂 Someone stated earlier district tournament champs went to district. I rennet those days when regular season winner went automatically and tournament champ went also. Now if the two were the same, then tournament runner up went also. Best I remember the regular season champ got the higher seed. The good ole days seem to be a faint memory except to us old folks.

TS69: It was always that way here in the Valley when we had tournaments. The regular season champ would get an automatic berth into the regionals and usually as a high seed. The tournament winner, or runner-up, would get the second regional bid.

By the way, the original question was about the Shenandoah District, but it looks like our neighbors slightly to the north, the Valley District, are in fact having a tournament and it may be starting as early as today or tomorrow. Most of those schools are Class 3, so you might find details about it on that forum.

Of course Spotswood is unbeaten and will probably run away with the tournament but at least they are having one.

Pizzzzza, I forgot about that game. Anthony had a wide open layup and slipped in that puddle of water. Also forgot that Ricky Scales was also on the Bulldogs team that year. He went on to having a fine career at Va Tech as a wide receiver then played in the USFL or one of those leagues. Cartwright went to U of South Carolina then transferred to Tech later on. Was a whole lot of talent in that league. Mike Franklin at Jefferson was a dude!

TS69: It was always that way here in the Valley when we had tournaments. The regular season champ would get an automatic berth into the regionals and usually as a high seed. The tournament winner, or runner-up, would get the second regional bid.

By the way, the original question was about the Shenandoah District, but it looks like our neighbors slightly to the north, the Valley District, are in fact having a tournament and it may be starting as early as today or tomorrow. Most of those schools are Class 3, so you might find details about it on that forum.

Of course Spotswood is unbeaten and will probably run away with the tournament but at least they are having one.

Spotswood plays at Broadway tonight for a chance to wrap up a 22-0 regular season (12-0 in the valley). Gobblers gave them a good game at Spotswood so we'll see how it goes but the Blazers should win.

For the district tournament, I think they are just doing the top 4 teams this year (Jefferson District is doing the same thing), so it'll be either William Monroe or East Rockingham at Spotswood and Harrisonburg at Broadway. It's funny how every team in the valley is in 3C except for Harrisonburg (5D) and William Monroe is 3B I believe.

In the Piedmont Martinsville plays Tunstall tonite, Trojans are 11-0 in district and the Dogs are 10-1. Then the district tournament starts tomorrow at the home sites of the higher seed. The the tourney means absolutely nothing but bragging rights because they are 3 4A schools, 3 3A schools and 1 2A school, so the winner means nothing. Tunstall has been beating the dog 💩 out of everybody this year so the tourney is just an opportunity to get someone hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT