ADVERTISEMENT

Busy Week Ahead for Shenandoah District Teams

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
It wasn't THAT much snow, but it was just enough to disrupt our usual nice-and-easy Tuesday/Friday basketball routine. So due to last week's postponements, some teams will have as many as three games this week, whereas one lucky team apparently has the week off until Friday. But such is the life of our hard-working Athletic Directors, so be sure to congratulate them at every opportunity, because after all, they juggle several sports at any given time of the year.

For our purposes here, I will break the week down into a Monday-Wednesday segment and then come back later with a preview of Thursday-Saturday games.

MONDAY: Luray at Stuarts Draft. I don't have any direct connections to the Draft but this one is on the Shenandoah District website, so I assume it is still on. The Cougars are one of the hottest teams in the district now and are riding something like a six or seven game winning streak. I don't know much about Luray but I doubt if the Draft will let them stand in the way of continuing that streak. Coming up soon will be a big Stuarts Draft/Staunton game.

TUESDAY: Wilson at Fort Defiance. This is the highlight game of this particular Tuesday. The Indians as we all know like to run everyone ragged and it was working nicely for them until their trip to Staunton Thursday. Meanwhile, Wilson was losing its own tough one at home to Stuarts Draft. So someone will be facing a two-game losing streak after tomorrow night and will pretty much be eliminated from any chance at the district title. This one is a pure toss-up but I will go with the Indians based on home court advantage.

TUESDAY: Staunton at Waynesboro. There was a time when this would have been a standing-room-only major event in the area. It is still a rivalry of course but the difference between the two programs is now night and day. Staunton will easily have the depth and size to wear down the Little Giants. Look for The Storm to prevail by at least 20.

TUESDAY: Stuarts Draft at Riverheads. As mentioned above, SD is riding that big winning streak. Riverheads on the other hand has been somewhat snakebit this year and just cannot win the close ones. They have now lost five games this season by four points or less, including their last three in a row. On paper this looks like a solid Cougar win, but Riverheads will be better-rested and who knows maybe Luray will have worn out the Cougars the night before, which might give RHS a chance to de-claw them.

WEDNESDAY: Staunton at Riverheads. This is a make-up game from last Friday. As already listed, each team has a Tuesday game and each will have to be ready to play again by Friday. So depth and conditioning will be factors in this one and don't be surprised if the pace is a bit slower as opposed to either team trying to turn it into a track meet. Staunton will of course be favored to win but you might be interested to know that Riverheads has actually beaten Staunton (or Robert E Lee as it was previously known) four times within the past seven seasons. Two of those wins came on Staunton's home floor and in one season, Riverheads actually swept both games in the same year. So the gap between the two programs is not as wide as it might appear.

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT