ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Must See Games

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what games stick out to you this upcoming season. Personally I think it's going to be a heck of a year. In no order I'd say, Amherst at Salem, Dinwiddie at James Monroe, Pulaski at Salem, Chancellor at Ponax, Louisa at Sherando, Courtland vs. Louisa, Hanover vs Highland Springs, Lake Taylor vs. Northeastern, Monacan vs. Bird, and Appomattox at Amherst. There's a lot more, but these are the games that stick out to me the most. Dinwiddie will be must see tv just about every week. Salem will be defending champs and in my opinion, the favorite to represent the West for the 3rd year in the row, but will have good tests during the regular season with Amherst, Blacksburg, and Pulaski County. LT will go undefeated and it's very likely that we see another Dinwiddie/LT late November/early December playoff game that will decide who comes out of the East. There's a lot to be excited about!

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what games stick out to you this upcoming season. Personally I think it's going to be a heck of a year. In no order I'd say, Amherst at Salem, Dinwiddie at James Monroe, Pulaski at Salem, Chancellor at Ponax, Louisa at Sherando, Courtland vs. Louisa, Hanover vs Highland Springs, Lake Taylor vs. Northeastern, Monacan vs. Bird, and Appomattox at Amherst. There's a lot more, but these are the games that stick out to me the most. Dinwiddie will be must see tv just about every week. Salem will be defending champs and in my opinion, the favorite to represent the West for the 3rd year in the row, but will have good tests during the regular season with Amherst, Blacksburg, and Pulaski County. LT will go undefeated and it's very likely that we see another Dinwiddie/LT late November/early December playoff game that will decide who comes out of the East. There's a lot to be excited about!

I didn't see you list it but Dinwiddie-Hanover is a one game not to miss. They met up twice last year with both games hard fought. Last years meeting was the first in the regular season as their previous four meetings had come in the playoffs. Speaking of playoffs, Dinwiddie nearly pulled off a comeback in the playoff game last season but just fell short. This year I believe Dinwiddie will have the edge but with Cheatham at quarterback for Hawks, you never can tell. Early in the season yes but with both in 4A, definitely a game you want to win. Both well coached, playoff contenders year after year...

Salem plays at Pulaski this year. And if the game with Blacksburg turns out to be a test, we can probably forget about seeing the Spartans at W&M.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Salem plays at Pulaski this year. And if the game with Blacksburg turns out to be a test, we can probably forget about seeing the Spartans at W&M.
Blacksburg will probably be a 6-4 type team like last year. They lost to Salem 56-10 in '15. I agree with Spartan, if Bburg is a test then that doesn't bode well for Salem. Bburg lost their QB and top 2 receivers, they return 2 good RB's and will have a Soph QB. I think they'll end up about like last year.

Blacksburg will probably be a 6-4 type team like last year. They lost to Salem 56-10 in '15. I agree with Spartan, if Bburg is a test then that doesn't bode well for Salem. Bburg lost their QB and top 2 receivers, they return 2 good RB's and will have a Soph QB. I think they'll end up about like last year.
I agree

Louisa @ Sherando could be a good game too?
Possible. Louisa is one of those teams where you're never sure what they'll bring that night. They could come and perform like world beaters. They could also fall behind and fold the tent.

But they're well coached and should be a solid opponent. They also will remember last year. But It will be Sherando in my pickem'.

Louisa @ Sherando could be a good game too?
I think it should be. Louisa brings back a lot of their skill guys but Hoos was telling me that the o-line will be a question mark. This is a team that was very impressive at times last year with a very young crop of skill guys. They had a sophomore QB and 2 sophomore RBs that helped lead them to a darn impressive showing against Hanover in the playoffs. If they can build off of that then I see this team turning heads this year. Don't know if they beat Sherando on the road, but it will be better than last year's 35-7 game. Sherando will be Sherando though. Very tough draw for Louisa on the road but a nice test for both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
We will have tough task ahead of us going undefeated this year. Playing vs. Heritage with a great QB an WR coming back in Boyd and Watson who has SEC and ACC offers. Playing at Western Branch who we are playing this year since Monticello dropped us. Playing home vs. Northeastern a very good team from NC. And then our first district game is on the road against Norview which is loaded with kids with D1 offers. The first four games of the season will tell a lot about our team.

As far as Salem's schedule, as of right now, that week one meeting with Amherst Co. in Salem Stadium appears to be the stiffest test of the regular season, so that's probably the one I'm most anticipating. Followed by at Byrd, at Pulaski, and Northside. At the risk of sounding like an arrogant Salem fan, if Salem successfully reloads on the lines and a couple of other defensive positions, I don't see any district foe other than Pulaski being much of a threat at all. No disrespect to any team, that's just how it looks. And of course, I'll be very curious to see if Carroll Co. decides to make the trip to Salem this year. It won't surprise me if every school bus in Hillsville suddenly and mysteriously ends up in the shop that Friday.

There are a lot of games around the state I wish I could attend, like Dinwiddie-Hanover, for instance. Or Sherando-Martinsburg, along with many others. But when you follow your team, it becomes difficult to make it to any other games.

Less than two months until scrimmages begin!

We will have tough task ahead of us going undefeated this year. Playing vs. Heritage with a great QB an WR coming back in Boyd and Watson who has SEC and ACC offers. Playing at Western Branch who we are playing this year since Monticello dropped us. Playing home vs. Northeastern a very good team from NC. And then our first district game is on the road against Norview which is loaded with kids with D1 offers. The first four games of the season will tell a lot about our team.
Best of luck to you guys this year Coach. If there's any team that can come out of a schedule like that undefeated then I'm putting my money on it that it's the Lake Taylor Titans.

Hey Devils, let's see how good Northeastern is without "home cooking officiating"!

Amherst no
As far as Salem's schedule, as of right now, that week one meeting with Amherst Co. in Salem Stadium appears to be the stiffest test of the regular season, so that's probably the one I'm most anticipating. Followed by at Byrd, at Pulaski, and Northside. At the risk of sounding like an arrogant Salem fan, if Salem successfully reloads on the lines and a couple of other defensive positions, I don't see any district foe other than Pulaski being much of a threat at all. No disrespect to any team, that's just how it looks. And of course, I'll be very curious to see if Carroll Co. decides to make the trip to Salem this year. It won't surprise me if every school bus in Hillsville suddenly and mysteriously ends up in the shop that Friday.

There are a lot of games around the state I wish I could attend, like Dinwiddie-Hanover, for instance. Or Sherando-Martinsburg, along with many others. But when you follow your team, it becomes difficult to make it to any other games.

Less than two months until scrimmages begin![/QUOTE/]

Amherst and Pulaski are the two challenges. both are trying to return to their glory years but it has just not been happening for them. I like they they have a chance and I hope they put in a nice showing but let's call it as it is. Salem doesn't play anybody really good till the third round of the playoffs. If they were playing Sherando, Briar Woods, Broad Run, Massaponax, Dinwiddie, Hanover or anybody with a pulse, it's a lot easier to call their number.

Salem will easily cruise to an undefeated regular season, get a high seed and a first round bye. There will be no option but to have them as #1 in 4A all year. The games must be played and won. The Spartans have to be given credit for taking care of business. But like Powhatan of the old SouthSide, they may be given more credit than they deserve. No disrespect for what they did last year. They got it done when the time came against high quality opponents and earned their Championship. But their road to the final has very few bumps.

I think Wikki was saying "huh?" to Shanty's "Amherst no" comment.

Hit "show ignored content" and you can see his post.

I think Wikki was saying "huh?" to Shanty's "Amherst no" comment.

Hit "show ignored content" and you can see his post.
Ok gotcha, I do think Amherst will be a good test especially being game 1. I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but I don't think their other games will be as big of a test, but that's why they play the games.

Actually, the comment was far longer than that and it was definitely not "Amherst no". That would be completely out of context. Somewhere between "post" and "send", everything else got erased.

Please don't misconstrue. I'm sure the word Amherst and no were in my comments but the other 50 - 100 words didn't show up. Perhaps my fault. Perhaps not. the post was about Salem's schedule. Amherst was only on there as one of their opponents. That's it.

As long as Lake Taylor "executes" they have nothing to worry about. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As long as Lake Taylor "executes" they have nothing to worry about. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
SMH...Troll much?? I guess you missed the point of the previous posts, but I understand reading comprehension is declining in our country big time. Have a wonderful day

Guess we will see. Solid program down there they were at ECU this weekend for the 7 on 7 we were at.
How did you do? We were scheduled to go to UVA Saturday, but it got cancelled when graduation was moved to Sat. morning.

Great thread Danville. I am going to go in a different direction by pointing out games and teams I find very intriguing. Teams that have done well in the past, but are not being discussed as part of the equation in 4a this season. Would love to visit each of these stadiums and see these games.

GW Danville: 9/2 vs. @Vance and 11/4 vs. Magna Vista
Jefferson Forrest: 10/14 vs. Amherst
Courtland: 8/26 Massaponax 10/7 Chancellor
Monacan: 9/30 vs. LC Bird
Charlottesville: 10/14 vs. Powhatan

Wow. Those two just don't like each other, do they? Sounds like a similar arrangement to Cave Spring - Hidden Valley in Roanoke: two fairly bitter rivals in close proximity that share a facility. At least CS and HV manage to work out a schedule every year.

Allegany and Fort Hill are in the same school district. Someone (probably in the central office) needs to put a policy in writing, and have the schools stick to it. This doesn't seem like it should be that difficult of a problem to resolve, regardless of how little interest the two administrations (FH and Allegany) apparently have in cooperating with each other.

Last year's FH - Sherando game was a really good one, IIRC; it'd be a shame to have to cancel this year's installment because of a senseless lack of communication.

Reading that thread also made me wonder - why are so many schools dead-set against playing on Saturday? I can see wanting to stay in the same routine every week, but is it really that huge of a deal? If I read that thread correctly, Sherando would prefer not playing Fort Hill at all to playing on Saturday. I don't get that.

Great thread Danville. I am going to go in a different direction by pointing out games and teams I find very intriguing. Teams that have done well in the past, but are not being discussed as part of the equation in 4a this season. Would love to visit each of these stadiums and see these games.

GW Danville: 9/2 vs. @Vance and 11/4 vs. Magna Vista
Jefferson Forrest: 10/14 vs. Amherst
Courtland: 8/26 Massaponax 10/7 Chancellor
Monacan: 9/30 vs. LC Bird
Charlottesville: 10/14 vs. Powhatan
I totally agree BleedingNavy! Those will definitely be big playoff implication games. JF has about 4 games that everyone in 4a west should be watching this year. Staunton River, Amherst, Magna Vista and Heritage. Monacan also will have two big ones against Manchester and Cosby that will be worth watching. Those 2 Courtland games you mentioned will be big as well! GW has a lot to prove this year. Lost 24 seniors and have a lot of young guys. This team will resemble the 2014 team minus the size and Hunter Byrnes and Malik Clements. The Vance game will say a lot about this team. Vance returns a D1 prospect at QB and a highly reguarded TE. The team to watch will be your Dinwiddie Generals. Thomas Dale, Hanover, Hopewell, Matoca, James Monroe, Meadowbrook.. They will be ready to play anybody come November.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That is a nice list as well Danville. There is something I always liked about the GW Danville program. My dad had mad respect for them and I saw them play for the first time in the early 70's. Hated playing them myself as they were always athletically loaded.

Dinwiddie should be very good this year, but I will not spout off, because the reality of getting through the East is not going to be a picnic. LT looms large each and every year so I will not count the chickens before they hatch. Lots of work to do on the defensive side of the ball. Have to tackle and defend the run. If we do that, Navy Nation will have a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

I totally agree BleedingNavy! Those will definitely be big playoff implication games. JF has about 4 games that everyone in 4a west should be watching this year. Staunton River, Amherst, Magna Vista and Heritage. Monacan also will have two big ones against Manchester and Cosby that will be worth watching. Those 2 Courtland games you mentioned will be big as well! GW has a lot to prove this year. Lost 24 seniors and have a lot of young guys. This team will resemble the 2014 team minus the size and Hunter Byrnes and Malik Clements. The Vance game will say a lot about this team. Vance returns a D1 prospect at QB and a highly reguarded TE. The team to watch will be your Dinwiddie Generals. Thomas Dale, Hanover, Hopewell, Matoca, James Monroe, Meadowbrook.. They will be ready to play anybody come November.

I wanted to list those six games with Dinwiddie, but was afraid I would be accused of discounting the other four. Only a fool would do that. "On any given Friday Night....!" But that is six games any 4a team would circle on their schedule.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Wow. Those two just don't like each other, do they? Sounds like a similar arrangement to Cave Spring - Hidden Valley in Roanoke: two fairly bitter rivals in close proximity that share a facility. At least CS and HV manage to work out a schedule every year.

Allegany and Fort Hill are in the same school district. Someone (probably in the central office) needs to put a policy in writing, and have the schools stick to it. This doesn't seem like it should be that difficult of a problem to resolve, regardless of how little interest the two administrations (FH and Allegany) apparently have in cooperating with each other.

Last year's FH - Sherando game was a really good one, IIRC; it'd be a shame to have to cancel this year's installment because of a senseless lack of communication.

Reading that thread also made me wonder - why are so many schools dead-set against playing on Saturday? I can see wanting to stay in the same routine every week, but is it really that huge of a deal? If I read that thread correctly, Sherando would prefer not playing Fort Hill at all to playing on Saturday. I don't get that.

They share the same facility, but you better believe there is no love lost between Lafayette and Jamestown. But the animosity is mostly with the student body. Since they are both part of the James City County School system, there is no coordination problem.

I expect Louisa to much improved , and the game will be much closer than last year
Well, they do have some good talent returning but MUCH improved remains to be seen. The Lions are one of those teams where you don't know what you're gonna' get. Some nights, they're an average 4A team. They'll always give you a game. The program and Coach are good. But some nights, they can be a buzz saw. Jekyll and Hyde squad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT