ADVERTISEMENT

2A Boys West Championship: Martinsville 63 Dan River 40 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Martinsville takes an early 5-0 lead over Dan River in the Region 2A West Championship

Dan River calls time midway through the first after Martinsville's Aaron Martin gets an offensive putback to take an 8-3 lead

End of 1, Martinsville 19, Dan River 12.

Devonnte Holland collects nine points, four blocks and six rebounds.

The Bulldogs had five steals in the first quarter.

Devonnte Holland knocks down a 3 to give the Bulldogs their largest lead, 24-15 midway through the 2nd

Reactions: James Holland
CcQdf8_W8AE0SxN.jpg:large

Photo Courtesy of Allen Gregory

Martinsville leads 35-22 just before half, but fouls could become trouble. Team has 11, Holland, Jay Dandridge and Jordan Turner all have 2

After going 3 mins with neither team scoring, Martinsville's Devonnte Holland gets a layup and-1. Bulldogs lead 44-30 with 1:57 left in 3rd

Martinsville started the 4th on a 10-5 run to extend their lead to 18.

57-39 with 3:39 to play.

Congrats to Martinsville on the region title. My Wildcats don't need to let this loss get them down. Now we got to play better & prepare for Greensville County on Friday!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
It wouldn't have made any difference if Kaseem Harris was there or not. I feel bad that the young man broke his hand and couldn't play. He didn't lose sleep, knowing that he didn't have to check Vonnte Holland. I'm sure Mr. Harris saw enough of Vonnte in last year's state championship. Anyone that saw the game, saw Holland's exploits of the DR big men in that game. I don't down anyone, just stating facts.

Harris playing wouldn't have made any difference, trust me.

It wouldn't have made any difference if Kaseem Harris was there or not. I feel bad that the young man broke his hand and couldn't play. He didn't lose sleep, knowing that he didn't have to check Vonnte Holland. I'm sure Mr. Harris saw enough of Vonnte in last year's state championship. Anyone that saw the game, saw Holland's exploits of the DR big men in that game. I don't down anyone, just stating facts.

As said in one of my previous posts, DR's inconsistent play hurt them once again. I wouldn't base their level of talent from this one game and I would say the same about Martinsville if they would've lost. Still games left and TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the teams in 2a win the championship. I'll be at the "game to watch" this weekend in Salem between Bruton/Martinsville. Martinsville wants payback from when these seniors were sophomores. Bruton plays in a really tough district and should be battle tested enough to give the Dawgs a game.

Piedmont District is no pushover either. I think the Big Man inside will make his presence felt often in that game.

Piedmont District is no pushover either. I think the Big Man inside will make his presence felt often in that game.
I agree but I don't think that The Piedmont is what it used to be. Martinsville, MV and GW literally run the district and MV would have made states too if they weren't so late with their football players coming back. Martinsville & GW are both fortunate to have played each other and other good teams outside of the district. I think by them playing so late in the season, it prepared both teams to compete with the big boys. Bruton has some good wins this year with the most notable being knocking 4a Jamestown from the ranks of the unbeaten and a 1 point win over a good Smithfield team. Don't know what to expect for Bruton but I've heard they're very fundamentally sound, a lot like Northside. We shall see. I'll be in Salem rooting for the Dawgs. Good luck.

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT