ADVERTISEMENT

2A Contenders?

With Radford being down, who is the C favorite?
How is Radford down this year? Don't they have the big and athletic kid in the middle. If I'm not mistaken, the back court is back..Watch out for my Bulldawgs. If they cut down on the turnovers, they'll be a tough out. Their speed will give a lot of teams trouble going forward.

Last edited:
How is Radford down this year? Don't they have the big and athletic kid in the middle. If I'm not mistaken, the back court is back..Watch out for my Bulldawgs. If the cut down on the turnovers, they'll be a tough out. Their speed will give a lot of teams trouble going forward.
I believe their three top returning starters all transferred. Cormany I know did as well as at least one other starter. They lost to Carroll County (I believe) by like 50.

We lost our top 3. This Radford team is one of the weaker ones in 20 years not because they are bad ballers, but super young. We have lots in the tank in junior high and 9th grade, but it will take 2 or 3 yrs to get back to where we were. Dan River, Martinsville, and Floyd will all finish ahead of us in the region this year. I think Floyd is the only team in 2C to challenge 2D in the playoffs and that team is likely Graham out of 2D who will represent the West as the sacrificial lambs to JM in the title game. I know Lebanon, Gate City, and Union are also good, but I watched Graham against Bluefield. Very good team.

Dan River is not that strong this year and I don't know how strong Martinsville will be. We play Graham later in January so that should let the Dogs know how long their season might last.

Not so sure Graham makes it out of D, but are definitely one of the favorites, they are a fairly young team and anything can happen with young teams. JM in 2A basketball is just ridiculous, but not much you can do about that at this juncture.

I heard that you’ll get to watch Graham play John Marshall later this month in a tournament in Bristol. Anyone else hearing that?

Not so sure Graham makes it out of D, but are definitely one of the favorites, they are a fairly young team and anything can happen with young teams. JM in 2A basketball is just ridiculous, but not much you can do about that at this juncture.
I don't think Graham is great, but it just seems like nearly all of the 2D and 2C west is way down. I jist see or Graham or Gate City coming out of the pack

I don't think Graham is great, but it just seems like nearly all of the 2D and 2C west is way down. I jist see or Graham or Gate City coming out of the pack
Gate City hasn't looked great either in all honesty. It's just a down year overall for C2. Not that it would have mattered.

Graham might be better off not playing JM. I live in the 804 Richmond metro area and get to see them play and they're basically a Jr college team.

Graham might be better off not playing JM. I live in the 804 Richmond metro area and get to see them play and they're basically a Jr college team.
JM might be better off not playing Graham because by the time the game is over, Graham will have flipped and recruited 3 of their players and all 3 enrolling in the Graham school system the following day.
TIC, just messing with you Gmen fans and I'm only kidding.

Reactions: 10iceiceice
JM might be better off not playing Graham because by the time the game is over, Graham will have flipped and recruited 3 of their players and all 3 enrolling in the Graham school system the following day.
TIC, just messing with you Gmen fans and I'm only kidding.
That would make C2 more balance if that happened.

You could take the rest of 2A, make an all star team, JM still wins by 25+. They should just opt out of the state tourney and go play a national tourney somewhere, they gain zero from beating the 2A teams by 60. Again it’s not JMs fault, it’s squarely on VHSL shoulders not fixing this situation. Let em play up.

You could take the rest of 2A, make an all star team, JM still wins by 25+. They should just opt out of the state tourney and go play a national tourney somewhere, they gain zero from beating the 2A teams by 60. Again it’s not JMs fault, it’s squarely on VHSL shoulders not fixing this situation. Let em play up.
I agree with this. JM should just opt out of the State Tourney, does more harm then good for them. Their opponents in the state tourney should just forfeit in advance, rather then play them. At least the VHSL would lose out on a little bit of revenue that way.

This is all on VHSL rules and policies. JM wanted to move up and they denied them. Believe me JM would prefer to play tougher competition that's why they play out of state tournaments against top schools

Reactions: BigWinners
Radford got smashed by Carroll County by like 40 IIRC, didn’t three kids transfer when the coaching change happened? It may be a couple years before they’re back.
It was 30, but who is counting. Radford has zero offensive threats this year. Will be interesting watching them grow this year and see how they finish. Radford will not be in the mix at the end.

FYI, Carroll may have their best team in a long time. Actually have some options across the board.

Cormany would have coached one last year. His son transfered before he officially retired. Elijiah Kelly transferred before him. Cormany stepped down afterwards as he has had a foot out the door for a while now.

With Gavin and Elijiah, I would have picked them to win C and D and only lose by 53 in Richmond.

Reactions: toughy299
This is all on VHSL rules and policies. JM wanted to move up and they denied them. Believe me JM would prefer to play tougher competition that's why they play out of state tournaments against top schools
We know they do no not want to play in 2A. Kids go to JM for national exposure and join the AAU program. They do not go to JM to win 2A VHSL state championships.

We know they do no not want to play in 2A. Kids go to JM for national exposure and join the AAU program. They do not go to JM to win 2A VHSL state championships.
Then JM should opt out of the VHSL for basketball. If schools can do it for football (i.e.; Nelson County, Rappahannock Co.), and play a private school schedule, JM can do it for basketball and then compete wherever/whenever they want. BUT they CHOOSE to stay in the VHSL.

It was 30, but who is counting. Radford has zero offensive threats this year. Will be interesting watching them grow this year and see how they finish. Radford will not be in the mix at the end.

FYI, Carroll may have their best team in a long time. Actually have some options across the board.

Cormany would have coached one last year. His son transfered before he officially retired. Elijiah Kelly transferred before him. Cormany stepped down afterwards as he has had a foot out the door for a while now.

With Gavin and Elijiah, I would have picked them to win C and D and only lose by 53 in Richmond.
Does Gavin have the same (or more) talent than his older brother that played in 2021? Cam I believe.

Why did Gavin and Elijah transfer and what school did they go to?

Why did Gavin and Elijah transfer and what school did they go to?
They think it will help their college recruitment I suppose. The odds are it won't to any great degree and it won't be remembered 10 years from now. What will be remembered is leaving your brothers and community that you have played with since you were young. You can never get those days back and most of us realize that when it's too late. We live so much for ourselves these days we can't see the forest for the trees.

Gavin is more athletic. Cam is probably a better shooter.
Cam and PJ were a very tough duo to face, when they came to BSG in 2021 they were much tougher than East Rock was in the title game. The winner of the west was gonna win it all, both teams played physical defense and were super composed. That was one of the best HS bball games I’ve ever seen, the final four matchup between Radford and Union in 2021.

They think it will help their college recruitment I suppose. The odds are it won't to any great degree and it won't be remembered 10 years from now. What will be remembered is leaving your brothers and community that you have played with since you were young. You can never get those days back and most of us realize that when it's too late. We live so much for ourselves these days we can't see the forest for the trees.
Get off your lawn.

G men got thumped by V High last night. Played poorly, lost by 20. I think it's a toss up between about 5 or 6 teams in region D.

From people within the community. Rick said he would never take another team to Richmond to face JM. Whether it’s JM fault or not it’s ruined 2A basketball. Everyone is playing for second. Kelly and Cormany will get an extra year to work on their game and have opportunities at a private school vs a public school. No real scorers are left and it’s a team who’s feeling themselves out. Don’t forget their an excellent quarterback who just won state that came to Radford to play basketball. Coach Fisher has a hill to climb. It’s always tough to replace a legend. Radford will be back it might just be a couple years. Too many athletes in the system. Everyone better these wins, they will disappear soon enough.

Reactions: AntGZee
From people within the community. Rick said he would never take another team to Richmond to face JM. Whether it’s JM fault or not it’s ruined 2A basketball. Everyone is playing for second. Kelly and Cormany will get an extra year to work on their game and have opportunities at a private school vs a public school. No real scorers are left and it’s a team who’s feeling themselves out. Don’t forget their an excellent quarterback who just won state that came to Radford to play basketball. Coach Fisher has a hill to climb. It’s always tough to replace a legend. Radford will be back it might just be a couple years. Too many athletes in the system. Everyone better these wins, they will disappear soon enough.
The VHSL really needs to do something about John Marshall.

Who deserves blame for JM dominance probably should be the governing bodies. That is the VHSL and the city of Richmond school board. Tighten up enforcement of rules or the impact of recruiting, that is if JM is actually doing that. If Richmond has open enrollment policies, then not much you can do about that. But the VHSL can enact policies if it chose to but I don’t think they want to deal with that. Who knows maybe a fear of legal actions. The landscape of high school sports has taken a turn for not the better directions. Let’s face facts, recruiting of high school kids has been going on for years. Just easier in the cities like Richmond because so easy to move in and out of school zones. Heck I’ve seen it in rural counties. Yes it’s happening in Va, Tn, WVA, MC, and Ky. Yeah all the border states. Please don’t tell me it happens. Now VHSL and all governing bodies get a backbone and not be like jellyfish. Enforce residential requirements. Tighten up on high school coaches coaching travel teams. Folks this isn’t happening only in basketball it’s happening in baseball, softball, soccer and pother sports. Because of JM dominance it’s getting more attention today.

Reactions: AntGZee
Who deserves blame for JM dominance probably should be the governing bodies. That is the VHSL and the city of Richmond school board. Tighten up enforcement of rules or the impact of recruiting, that is if JM is actually doing that. If Richmond has open enrollment policies, then not much you can do about that. But the VHSL can enact policies if it chose to but I don’t think they want to deal with that. Who knows maybe a fear of legal actions. The landscape of high school sports has taken a turn for not the better directions. Let’s face facts, recruiting of high school kids has been going on for years. Just easier in the cities like Richmond because so easy to move in and out of school zones. Heck I’ve seen it in rural counties. Yes it’s happening in Va, Tn, WVA, MC, and Ky. Yeah all the border states. Please don’t tell me it happens. Now VHSL and all governing bodies get a backbone and not be like jellyfish. Enforce residential requirements. Tighten up on high school coaches coaching travel teams. Folks this isn’t happening only in basketball it’s happening in baseball, softball, soccer and pother sports. Because of JM dominance it’s getting more attention today.
NC not NC

When I was coaching in high school, we were told by our AD that we could not coach our own players in the summer. I don’t recall if it was a school policy or VHSL policy. We were also told that we could not help, in anyway, locate sponsors for the team's our players played on outside of school. We were also told that we could not use school facilities outside of the designated seasons. We were also forbidden to talk to players/parents from outside our school zone about anything that could remotely be considered recruiting. Has something changed?

We were scared to death that we might accidentally get the school in trouble. Now, those things seem routine in some places?

Yes things have changed. As late as the mid-late 1990’s you couldn’t work with your kids as a paid coach by the school division out of seasons. Exception was summer camps on college campus or sponsored camps but not travel tournaments. We all had kids playing summer leagues coached by parents of a player (s), or a former player and sometimes by former assistants. Then sometime in the early 2000(s) the VHSL allowed out of season team practices run by coaches but having a designated dead period 4 times a year between seasons. Usually a

Usually summer break coincided withe the all star summer games out oh Hampton. I know coaches now who practice the year round.

Who deserves blame for JM is me, you, every other fan, administrator, and coach of all the other Class 2 schools in Virginia that play them. We have no balls and will NOT do the right thing, so we are no better than JM. How to fix....

1. Today, right now, Union, GC, Graham, VA High, Radford, Lebanon, Floyd ADs get together via phone and agree and sign a statement saying none of us will play JM in the title gsme. Send to VHSL.
2. Every school in Class 2 from the East drops them from the regular season and post season schedule, and does what the west does.
3. Do the above every year.

Will we do the above? No, because no balls, no better moral character than JM. See, for Coach Cormany, saying he will "never play JM again," sounds good, but he never should have played them the first time, and it's the first time that's the problem. If Graham, Union, or VA High, Lebanon, or Floyd make the title game, do u really think their coach will back out? No, he will not, and he will justify it by saying, "I will not do this to my kids or can't deny them the chance or my school a chance to play for a state title." Then, it will fall on another coach and team from the west the following year and we rinse and repeat and the cycle continues.

I live in the Richmond metro area 804 and get to see JM and alot other schools play and talking to alot of people close to JM believe me they don't want to play any of these schools in 2A. But that's VHSL problem not there's. I think if they had a choice they would play every top team in VA and the country.

I live in the Richmond metro area 804 and get to see JM and alot other schools play and talking to alot of people close to JM believe me they don't want to play any of these schools in 2A. But that's VHSL problem not there's. I think if they had a choice they would play every top team in VA and the country.
BS…they can opt out of the VHSL for basketball today if they really wanted to. Then they can go play whoever they want whenever they want wherever they want…there is some unknown reason they stay in the VHSL for basketball. Gotta be some advantage.

At the rate their football team is declining, don’t be surprised if they drop out of the VHSL in that sport. Basketball should stop the pretense of being a public school team…

Last edited:
BS…they can opt out of the VHSL for basketball today if they really wanted to. Then they can go play whoever they want whenever they want wherever they want…there is some unknown reason they stay in the VHSL for basketball. Gotta be some advantage.

At the rate their football team is declining, don’t be surprised if they drop out of the VHSL in that sport. Basketball should stop the pretense of a public school team…
If Richmond has open enrollment and they chose JM then yes they want to play 2A teams. They could chose to go to a bigger school in Richmond. Same for the coach. I'm not arguing as to what they are doing is right or wrong, just stating that if they don't want to play 2A then chose a bigger school.

Good question. 😂😂 I was just trying to remember did in anyone from East Rock or Stuarts Draft raise cane when they lost to JM in the semifinals or finals. Think SD game was something like 130ish toe low 100ish. May be wrong just trying to remember. Think ER played JM two or three times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT