ADVERTISEMENT

39th Annual Rappahannock Times Football Preview

Riverheads will find out Friday this game will tell you how good they are. Stuart’s Draft is this years eastrock they will be tuff out. Riverheads wins Friday night they will be unbeaten going into Draft game

This concerns the hell out me to hear that the defense is a work in progress, the defensive coordinator seems to be as good as Casto, which means this young defense will surely get better with time. Man I tell ya I’m ready for this Riverheads machine to blow a gasket, I’m not sure if that will work they probably could repair it like a nascar pit crew ! Lol Damit

Reactions: uvacavs1 and mmqp
This concerns the hell out me to hear that the defense is a work in progress, the defensive coordinator seems to be as good as Casto, which means this young defense will surely get better with time. Man I tell ya I’m ready for this Riverheads machine to blow a gasket, I’m not sure if that will work they probably could repair it like a nascar pit crew ! Lol Damit

Best analogy I've heard so far lol

Reactions: uvacavs1
The D coordinator doesnt get enough credit IMO. The last 4 state championship games they have given up a total of 20 points. Not too shabby considering they have played some pretty darn good offenses in those 4 games.

I definitely think the Rappahannock Raiders have the offensive formula to give Riverheads defense fits. If they can make it out of Region A it will be a fun game to watch.

Guys the riverhead whole game is about ball control. You can think up all these schemes you want and the fact is that your gonna be limited on how long your offense is even on the field. The key to beating the machine is not your offense. If you can’t stop them defensively you won’t get as many points as they do. Stops are key. You can’t rattle the system by putting a couple in the end zone. You might get on the scoreboard every possession but if you only on offense 3 times in a game your defense is gonna be winded. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sitting here saying I have it all figured out. I can say tho that offense doesn’t win football games. Just my thought.

Guys the riverhead whole game is about ball control. You can think up all these schemes you want and the fact is that your gonna be limited on how long your offense is even on the field. The key to beating the machine is not your offense. If you can’t stop them defensively you won’t get as many points as they do. Stops are key. You can’t rattle the system by putting a couple in the end zone. You might get on the scoreboard every possession but if you only on offense 3 times in a game your defense is gonna be winded. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sitting here saying I have it all figured out. I can say tho that offense doesn’t win football games. Just my thought.

Keep their offense off the field as much as possible. Burn up every second of the play clock while you're on offense and keep the ball on the ground. Frustrate them. Frustrate their coach. Get under his skin as much as possible. While on defense, do whatever it takes to get them out of their groove. Use the rules to your advantage. Need a break? Have a player act injured. Keep him down for as long as possible. Show them tape of the Giants and how Coughlin used to do it. Finish drives. Stick to basic run schemes, nothing stupid. Eliminate stupid playcalling (or playcallers) early in the season so it doesnt rear its ugly head when you take on the Machine.

Or.. we could all start a gofundme to pay for Brad Bradley to come back and coach a 1A school lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama1985
How did a topic on the 39th preview in the Rappahannock Times get focused on Riverheads? I feed into it at times and even did so in this thread so I am not pointing fingers.
Lets try to talk about football in the Neck in this thread and worry about Riverheads when or if those matchups take place. I am one that actually enjoys seeing other posters champion their area/region in these threads. And before someone says it, I know any of you can post what you want and that is what we all love about this site so continue on as you see fit. Now my soap-box has officially collapsed.....

It’s called conversation all conversation have a way of going sideways it all started with W&L playing Riverheads and W&L being a state contender so I feel this thread is as good as any to have a conversation

@Baseball215, while I agree with you on how this particular discussion got sidetracked you have to admit it gets silly seeing every football thread turn into a referendum on the status of Riverheads. Like you, I am an ardent supporter of the school but I also like to see posts about other schools that don't veer into a Gladiator discussion. We can agree to disagree on whether every thread is the right place but I will try to limit my self in the future to staying on topic of the original poster. I am sure I will fail but admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Reactions: NKU Quiet one
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT