ADVERTISEMENT

3a west contenders

Funny how none of this appeared before Torrence resigned. Nobody started threads, nobody discussed his methods. I saw no Vikings fans with the petition to fire him and I see none now willing to return their state titles. Hmm, why would that be?

Funny how none of this appeared before Torrence resigned. Nobody started threads, nobody discussed his methods. I saw no Vikings fans with the petition to fire him and I see none now willing to return their state titles. Hmm, why would that be?

You seem to have a very selective memory!!

There was plenty of talk on here about the William Fleming transfers several years back. An investigation was conducted by Roanoke County into this matter. The Roanoke Times was going to run a story about the William Fleming transfers but choose not to do so because of threats that Frank Dent made to Roanoke County and the Roanoke Times. Additionally, Roanoke County investigated and internally corrected a practice in which Frank granted Burt a day off from teaching every Friday "game day", but Frank did not "dock" or charge Burt for any of those personal days. A practice that Frank and Burt continued after the fact and is part of the current investigation.

So besides the illegal transfers and recruting, committing fraud, embezzling money, and work place sexual misconduct - Frank and Burt are stand up guys! Again, there were other people complicit in all the above and they were well aware of the actions of Frank and Burt. Most people looked the other way, but things were questioned many years back.

Last edited:
You seem to have a very selective memory!!

There was plenty of talk on here about the William Fleming transfers several years back. An investigation was conducted by Roanoke County into this matter. The Roanoke Times was going to run a story about the William Fleming transfers but choose not to do so because of threats that Frank Dent made to Roanoke County and the Roanoke Times. Additionally, Roanoke County investigated and internally corrected a practice in which Frank granted Burt a day off from teaching every Friday "game day", but Frank did not "dock" or charge Burt for any of those personal days. A practice that Frank and Burt continued after the fact and is part of the current investigation.

So besides the illegal transfers and recruting, committing fraud, embezzling money, and work place sexual misconduct - Frank and Burt are stand up guys! Again, there were other people complicit in all the above and they were well aware of the actions of Frank and Burt. Most people looked the other way, but things were questioned many years back.
There was talk over the years about recruiting at Northside. I agree with that. But there's always been lots of recruiting talk on the board and Northside Hardly had exclusive rights to that train.

You make the rest Sound like National Enquirer stuff, especially with the sexual misconduct. As some others have suggested, I prefer to let this one play out without shotgun accusations.

Reactions: salemfan32
There was talk over the years about recruiting at Northside. I agree with that. But there's always been lots of recruiting talk on the board and Northside Hardly had exclusive rights to that train.

You make the rest Sound like National Enquirer stuff, especially with the sexual misconduct. As some others have suggested, I prefer to let this one play out without shotgun accusations.
You make a very good point, however, my above statements are facts. I was responding to 1morehokie.

Burt was not involved with inappropriate work place relationships to my knowledge but Frank ......... the rest of my statements apply to both Frank, Burt, and others.

Frank has decided to take early retirement and Burt has moved on to Heritage. My guess is if it's left up to Roanoke County, everything will be swept under the rug like it has been done in the past. However, if the Commonwealth Attorney decides to press charges, then we all may find out more.

You make a very good point, however, my above statements are facts. I was responding to 1morehokie.

Burt was not involved with inappropriate work place relationships to my knowledge but Frank ......... the rest of my statements apply to both Frank, Burt, and others.

Frank has decided to take early retirement and Burt has moved on to Heritage. My guess is if it's left up to Roanoke County, everything will be swept under the rug like it has been done in the past. However, if the Commonwealth Attorney decides to press charges, then we all may find out more.
Investigations rely on proof. At this point, no one is given the benefit of the doubt. The facts and the fallacies will come out eventually. But GL to Northside on the 2016 season. Only the kids matter.

Investigations rely on proof. At this point, no one is given the benefit of the doubt. The facts and the fallacies will come out eventually. But GL to Northside on the 2016 season. Only the kids matter.
Investigations do rely on proof, although reasonable people may differ in what constitutes proof. I am not sure what will or will not come out but, it will be difficult to close the book on the issues and questions raised without some public disclosure given the publicity already. As we have all seen with other scandals in the past a cover up can create far more problems than the original transgression and Roanoke county needs to address the issues directly and as transparently as legally acceptable means will allow. The kids are certainly a primary consideration, however, in this instance there are also adults(parents, volunteers, and taxpayers) that matter as well. It will be interesting to watch what actually gets disclosed and who ends up where. Until there is closure, the public will be left to speculate whether any changes Roanoke County announces(such as the reorganizations in this morning's news) have any ties to what is being investigated and that is unfortunate for people who actually have no connections to situation.

I would looooooooooooooove to know the threat a school principal could lay out against a regional-sized newspaper to make them not run a story.

And there's nothing selective to it, Northside fans weren't breaking the rumors about WF transfers. You let me know when Northside people show up and demand to return those titles and tell those kids they cheated their way to doing so.

Last edited:
I would looooooooooooooove to know the threat a school principal could lay out against a regional-sized newspaper to make them not run a story.

And there's nothing selective to it, Northside fans weren't breaking the rumors about WF transfers. You let me know when Northside people show up and demand to return those titles and tell those kids they cheated their way to doing so.
This is politics. Northside will not surrender titles. How this is handled is taken care of in back rooms. There must be penalties to satisfy the public (at least most) but the best thing is always to move forward by protecting the kids and the school. Sentiment is short lived. Nay Sayers and protagonists will recede. Northside continues on.

Maybe threat is not the right word but, a regional newspaper could certainly listen to the plea of a principal taken with the concurrent requests of the two largest school districts in its regional circulation area. Also, in order to have a story that means anything, particularly on a topic like recruiting, you have to have people willing to speak on the record. The reality is the story never made it to print. People can have their own opinions as to what was the major influencing factor. No one has to tell the kids or the fans at Northside, or anywhere else in the valley for that matter, what went on and everybody can pretty much make up their own minds as to whether the result is worth the price. Lots of people had connected the dots to this story a long time before Roanoke County decided to actually get involved and the Roanoke Times was confident enough to publish a story. In fact, the question of why it took so long to actually be addressed might be as much of a story as the alleged improprieties. Going to be very interesting to see how the powers that be try and clean up the mess and bring closure to the situation.

Today's decision by the Roanoke County School Board in not allowing Tom McCracken to "rescind" his resignation as one of the Northside School Board members MAY have a big impact on whether there will EVER be a true public "accounting" on what really happened with Frank Dent and Burt Torrence.

http://m.roanoke.com/news/education...33f-b051-58b4-9f5b-7ed10b8fcdc6.html?mode=jqm

No matter what happens, I wish the very BEST of luck to Northside. In my opinion and many many others, you all will be much better off without the "controversial" people that are the ones responsible for the problems this community has endured.

Last edited:
I know it won't happen, but for the sake of the children, the board, and the school someone needs to step forward and drag all the skeletons out of the closet at once. The way this is dragging on with salacious details slowly leaching out, the nature of the storytelling is even worse than the story. The way this is being dragged out the full story will hang on for years and do far more damage. As bad as the wrongdoing involved here is, the cowardice of those responsible not owning up to their actions is even more reprehensible. What are you teaching your children Frank Dent, Burt Torrence, Northside? Your actions before and your inaction now is absolutely shameful!

Burt Torrence has a lawyer.......

One can only assume Frank Dent has a lawyer ......

Former Roanoke School Board member who represented Northside is now suing and has a lawyer .......

And Roanoke County cannot comment until they consult their lawyer ........

These people consider themselves leaders?

http://wsls.com/2016/07/12/legal-battle-looms-over-roanoke-county-school-board-seat/
The fun appears to be just beginning. Looks like the County and its school board are reverting back to the late 70's and 80's where they spent a lot of time in the news doing their best imitation of the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

I know it won't happen, but for the sake of the children, the board, and the school someone needs to step forward and drag all the skeletons out of the closet at once. The way this is dragging on with salacious details slowly leaching out, the nature of the storytelling is even worse than the story. The way this is being dragged out the full story will hang on for years and do far more damage. As bad as the wrongdoing involved here is, the cowardice of those responsible not owning up to their actions is even more reprehensible. What are you teaching your children Frank Dent, Burt Torrence, Northside? Your actions before and your inaction now is absolutely shameful!
Now we add McKraken and the entire School Board. How could things have gotten so out of control? How could the accusation list continue to grow?

This is truly amazing stuff. It's lie and lie. Deny, deny. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

In reference to Phoebus, how did they go from D5 to D3 ? Schools "move" up or down 1 Division all the time, but to drop 2 Ds seems unusual.

In reference to Phoebus, how did they go from D5 to D3 ? Schools "move" up or down 1 Division all the time, but to drop 2 Ds seems unusual.
Phoebus' ADM at present is about where it was when they were winning state championships in upper classifications. They just chose to play up prior to the VHSL getting more strict in slotting schools in their proper classification. Lake Taylor and some schools in Richmond did the same if memory serves correctly. That approach stands in stark contrast to some other schools that make every effort to play down in class.

Reactions: shauntclair
Phoebus played one year (First year of conference and current re-alignment) in Division IV before moving down to Division III.

Reactions: mike salem
You've been here too long to be asking that question because you know very well what happened with Phoebus. Why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT