ADVERTISEMENT

40 second clock vs 25 sec. clock

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Would it be feasible for high schools to adopt the 40 second play clock now used by NCAA , instead of present 25 second rule ?

Why ?

Why not ?

NCAA uses a combination 40/25 play clock. I do not see FED (or Va) adopting this for a variety of reasons. The 25 is normally kept on the field(on an official's watch) in a FED game. Implementing a 40/25 would almost for sure require extremely expensive equipment (visible play clocks) that many smaller schools simply couldn't afford (VHSL is run by member principals). It is not practical to expect game officials to keep a 40/25 on the field. Additionally a 40/25 would require a second clock operator (NCAA games have 2 operators) which would be another expense (the clock operators are paid and considered part of the officiating crew). A 40/25 would add much additional language to rule #3 (clock issues) and require re-training. The 40/25 component of a NCAA game is much more complicated than the game clock. Any football-savy fan can learn to operate a game clock with about 10 minutes of training but the 40/25 play clock can be confusing to even veteran NCAA football officials. 90% of the time in NCAA football a 40 sec play clock is used...what situations call for a 25 sec play clock....which one is used after an injury to a defensive player...which is used after a helmet comes off? I would anticipate seeing visible play clocks mandated in FED football games about the same time shot clocks are mandated in FED basketball games...never. HR6 your beef about the inconsistency of the 25 sec play clock in HS games is in my opinion legit (wow I just said that). Requiring visible clocks operated by someone in the pressbox would result in consistency but its just not practical from any standpoint.

Good points.

The pace of play does need to pick up in 99% of all high school games. The officials lolly gag around marking ball ready for play. Some wait til teams huddle, the PA announcer finishes his pitch, QB returns form conversation with coach, and other delays, before blowing ball ready for play.
I love to see teams go hurry up and are lined up ready to run play 2 seconds after ball is spotted.

If teams tried to "run play 2 seconds after ball is spotted", 99% of games would be unwatchable with all the flags
for IP, etc. Let 'em line up like they need to and run a decent play. That's why you get 25 seconds in the first place. Personally, I enjoy watching the strategy and adjustments going on between both teams in this time in between plays.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Jim on this.

I don't believe the 40 second clock will ever come about in h.s. and I don't want it to, but I don't think the issue is the actual play clocks themselves. I've called games using NCAA rules where there is no visible play clock and the 40 second clock is kept by the back judge just as the 25 second clock is on Friday nights in lots of places. Officials who know the rules can do it just fine.

In reality, most plays have about that much time, anyway. I blow the ready for play (RFP) whistle between 12 and 15 seconds after the previous play ends so, adding 25 seconds, makes it a 37-40 second clock. The only difference is there is no whistle with 40 second clock.

Very few teams really need a play clock. I haven't had a delay of game flag in three years. Only got close once this season. Teams are better at lining up, getting the play called and snapping the ball. There is typically 10-20 seconds on the clock when the ball is snapped.

As for HR6 continually bitching about officials somehow hosing him off with slow whistles, I'll say this. It doesn't matter if the RFP is blown when they break the huddle or when the QB is calling signals.When a team breaks the huddle the ball will be snapped in 5-8 seconds in 99 percent of all cases. If the whistle has just sounded or it blew 10 seconds before makes NO DIFFERENCE. The pace of the offense is what it is. I do not believe any offense really cares when it's blown. Only a team with a lead would ever come to the line, figure out how much time they can bleed, then stand there and wait to snap the ball. As a caveat, if a team is running it's QB all the way to the sideline to talk after each play and get a play, and this is taking too long, every referee I know will hurry that up by NOT WAITING quite as long to blow the RFP.

Our local association officiates games at over 40 high schools. Every single field has play clocks on both ends of the field. Not a single school pays an operator to run the clock.

Officials control the tempo of the game. We go through our normal ball mechanics There are certain things that have to be done between every single pair of downs. We are not going to rush unless the game is in a two minute drill.

BTW, this is also the official policy of the National Football League.

VP of refs: Officials control tempo

Teams that know they are gonna get blown out, will stall and try to "run out the clock" at start of game . I have seen it many times. Believe it or not , I have seen them get assistance from the white hat, who delayed RPF, until QB went to sideline and returned. Once I took a stopwatch and timed RFP until snap, and it wasn't unusal to see 30-45 seconds elaspe.
Back when Gretna was averaging about 50 points a game this happened alot.

I like it when a team runs hurry up, and before refs finishes spotting the ball, the offense is lined up ready to run play. Now granted this happens a lot in a 2 minute drill situation, but I like it entire game.

For everyone who disagrees with me on 25 sec clocl deal, I wish all could watch a game with me between a high powered spread offense against a bad team running Wing T offense (or another running offense). I would prove myself correct.

HR6: What a team runs and how they run it within the rules is called "strategy"

FB Ref: Are you saying all these high schools have field viewable play clocks but don't use them? What do you mean by "none pay operators"?

What he means by "none pay operators" is they use their own people, who are expected to learn the rules on their own and operate the clocks correctly. That's always a shaky proposition. FBRef lives in N.C., and I can't vouch for how things are done there, but in my part of Virginia about a quarter of the schools pay the officials association to send a certified official to run the clock, but only two schools pay the association to send a certified official to run the 25-second clock.

If the clocks -- and by extension, the play clocks -- are run by any old schmoe the school sends over, there isn't the same level of confidence that they will be run correctly, but for the most part they are. Really all it takes is the willingness to pay attention, although that's a bigger ask than one might expect.

Originally posted by gymrat10:

FB Ref: Are you saying all these high schools have field viewable play clocks but don't use them? What do you mean by "none pay operators"?
We use the clocks. But the operators are volunteers. They are not paid officials.

I can't think of any timer/scorer job in any sport that's easier than running a play clock. All you have to do is start it when the R blows his whistle. But yes, there are some who can't focus and don't start it on time. If that happens too many times, he gets fired, the clocks are turned off and we keep it on the field.

Giles has the 25 second clock which is operated by a wirelessly by an official on the field, usually the back judge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT