ADVERTISEMENT

5A absolutely loaded....again

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
I can't believe how good 5A is at the top.

The top teams all held serve and most put up very impressive wins.

I honestly think there are more top level teams in 5A than in 6A this year.

Only Oscar Smith and Ocean Lakes feel like powers in 6A to me right now. Whereas I could list 10 teams that seem brutally good in 5A.

Undefeated
Bird
Tuscy
Hermitage
Broad Run
Ponax
Henrico
Indian River
Freeman
Lee-Davis
Mountain View
Patrick Henry

then throw in these one loss teams
Highland Springs
Salem
Norview

Boy, this will be one fun playoff in 8 weeks.

You would really think some trash talking would start on the 5A boards.

What in the world would anyone say to a three-time defending state champion who has shut out three of their first four opponents?

Until Bird looks mortal, no one is going to feel great about their chances.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I suppose, and I don't guess smack talk would be that smart, but I feel like a lot of schools' fans ought to be excited about their teams right now. I don't think anyone's going to have an easy time in the playoffs after the first round.

I can't believe how good 5A is at the top.

The top teams all held serve and most put up very impressive wins.

I honestly think there are more top level teams in 5A than in 6A this year.

Only Oscar Smith and Ocean Lakes feel like powers in 6A to me right now. Whereas I could list 10 teams that seem brutally good in 5A.

Undefeated
Bird
Tuscy
Hermitage
Broad Run
Ponax
Henrico
Indian River
Freeman
Lee-Davis
Mountain View
Patrick Henry

then throw in these one loss teams
Highland Springs
Salem
Norview

Boy, this will be one fun playoff in 8 weeks.
Heck, I didn't even mention Stone Bridge and Briar Woods.

What in the world would anyone say to a three-time defending state champion who has shut out three of their first four opponents?

Until Bird looks mortal, no one is going to feel great about their chances.

Like I mentioned yesterday. This is the strongest Bird team I personally have ever seen.

Or Bethel who has one of the best defenses in the state but has 2 losses. 5A is by far the most interesting this season. LC Bird is king of them all.

I'm way more familiar with the schools in the lower classifications, but I've gotten to follow the higher classifications more this year, and I think out of all the classifications, 5A is the most fun to follow at this point.

That season finale featuring Tuscarora/Broad Run has the makings to be WILD if both teams stay on their current paths

Atlee is going to pick it up. Should've beat Freeman. A few bad calls by the refs and a few bad plays by the Raiders lost the game. Bad calls always happen at Freeman. Atlee will bring it for the rest of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT