ADVERTISEMENT

a few observations about football coaching (from Chip Kelly to HS)

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
as we wait for the weekend's playoffs, just a few thoughts about the current state of coaching and wondering what other people think about these issues....

Watching the debacle and downfall of Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles made me think of when he left the University of Oregon. I remember thinking at the time, what a fool, he was a King at Oregon and now he goes to Philly and the NFL... (there is a reason Coach K never left Duke...).

Most great college coaches bomb in the NFL (Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, and the list goes on). Some like Seattle's Pete Caroll make it work but most don't, yet many keep going to be chewed up by the NFL). Even Harbaugh while successful in the NFL, went back to the big time college ranks where he is now the Man of Michigan). Pro sports are brutal. Look a Kevin McHale, a star, successful, just fired in the NBA after like 11 games out of around 80 something season.

While you gotta respect ambition and moving up the ranks, sometimes the grass is not always greener at different levels. Thoughts?

Of course college is brutal too- Look at Miami, South Carolina (the ole Ball coach gone mid season), LSU is gonna force Miles out? Players complain about Ohio State's coaching. wow- heck, even VT's Frank Beamer knew what was coming. He wisely left on his own terms with honor and love before it got ugly like what happed to one of my favorite coaches, Bobby Bowden of Florida State. He held on too long and was forced out badly.

In high school, (where the pay is unbelievably low in most states for the hours worked and devotion needed), the stress, work load, and pressure to succeed is causing many to walk away. Thomas Jefferson's, Glenn Allen, Deep Run's, Auburn's, and who knows how many more coaches have left or will leave. FC's fans forced their coach out after like a 7-3 season last year and were rewarded with a 0-10 season for their incredible foresight.

Has the pressure of coaching football at all levels always been this intense and severe, or is it becoming crazier, more stressful and more difficult to please the masses as each season passes???

as we wait for the weekend's playoffs, just a few thoughts about the current state of coaching and wondering what other people think about these issues....

Watching the debacle and downfall of Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles made me think of when he left the University of Oregon. I remember thinking at the time, what a fool, he was a King at Oregon and now he goes to Philly and the NFL... (there is a reason Coach K never left Duke...).

Most great college coaches bomb in the NFL (Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, and the list goes on). Some like Seattle's Pete Caroll make it work but most don't, yet many keep going to be chewed up by the NFL). Even Harbaugh while successful in the NFL, went back to the big time college ranks where he is now the Man of Michigan). Pro sports are brutal. Look a Kevin McHale, a star, successful, just fired in the NBA after like 11 games out of around 80 something season.

While you gotta respect ambition and moving up the ranks, sometimes the grass is not always greener at different levels. Thoughts?

Of course college is brutal too- Look at Miami, South Carolina (the ole Ball coach gone mid season), LSU is gonna force Miles out? Players complain about Ohio State's coaching. wow- heck, even VT's Frank Beamer knew what was coming. He wisely left on his own terms with honor and love before it got ugly like what happed to one of my favorite coaches, Bobby Bowden of Florida State. He held on too long and was forced out badly.

In high school, (where the pay is unbelievably low in most states for the hours worked and devotion needed), the stress, work load, and pressure to succeed is causing many to walk away. Thomas Jefferson's, Glenn Allen, Deep Run's, Auburn's, and who knows how many more coaches have left or will leave. FC's fans forced their coach out after like a 7-3 season last year and were rewarded with a 0-10 season for their incredible foresight.

Has the pressure of coaching football at all levels always been this intense and severe, or is it becoming crazier, more stressful and more difficult to please the masses as each season passes???

Harbaugh, that SOB. His arrogance got the best of him in SF. He wanted to go with "his guy" at QB and he kicked a guy that the fans and players had rallied around to the curb. In return he kept a guy with all the talent in the world, but not enough brains to learn the NFL and no sense of team leadership. It took about a year and a half for it to catch up with him, but oh boy did it hit hard when it finally did. Harbaugh finally realized that mistake about midway through last season and, mentally, he checked out on SF and the fanbase. He's always been good at manipulating the media and he somehow made himself look like the victim.

Glad he's gone. Pretty sad when poor Blaine Gabbert can outplay "his guy".

Reactions: raninab
Harbaugh is one of those guys who should not be coaching at any level.

Football has reached the point at most every level, if team doesn't win championship, it's been a bad season. Whether this is right, wrong or indifferent, it's true. And when a team doesn't win championship, 99% of everyone will blame the coach.

Harbaugh, that SOB. His arrogance got the best of him in SF. He wanted to go with "his guy" at QB and he kicked a guy that the fans and players had rallied around to the curb. In return he kept a guy with all the talent in the world, but not enough brains to learn the NFL and no sense of team leadership. It took about a year and a half for it to catch up with him, but oh boy did it hit hard when it finally did. Harbaugh finally realized that mistake about midway through last season and, mentally, he checked out on SF and the fanbase. He's always been good at manipulating the media and he somehow made himself look like the victim.

Glad he's gone. Pretty sad when poor Blaine Gabbert can outplay "his guy".
Hey brother...I take it from the pic you have that you are a Niners fan! One of the great plays in 49er history!

Sometimes your told who your guy will be from upper management.

Hey brother...I take it from the pic you have that you are a Niners fan! One of the great plays in 49er history!

Yep, through bad and worse I'll always be a niner fan LOL

Coaching is getting harder to do every year. Parents are trying to get more involved every year to the detriment of the team. Parents agendas involve their child and not the total team concept. Technology has only helped this (Social Media: forums like this one give everyone a voice and anonymity. You can say what you want about the coach or band director or whomever. Their are no consequences. The truth doesn't have to interfere with what you say. Parents bringing video cameras to games and using the video to show "little johnnie" how the mistakes were made by the other teammates and not him. Even before his coach has a chance to go over the film with him. Parents have set up websites to show how well their son is doing at the expense of his teammates. Websites have also been used to question the coach. Example: Why is my son,the QB, not throwing to multiple receivers in a spread offense instead having to run this wing-t offense and having only one or at most two receiver to throw to. He could have 2,000 yards passing instead of 1,000. I feel sorry for the young coaches just starting out. Coaching has always been a tough business but now the tough part of the job is growing every day.

Coaching isn't for the weak minded or the light hearted. There are more people who THINK they know football now than ever. It is the most popular sport in the USA. That is why coaches get paid so much money. Definitely not the case in high school for the most part and nothing in little league (which are just as important as any coach). For every coach who quits, there are ten coaches waiting to take his place. Waiting for the opportunity to win, and help young men become better players and people. Anything that is popular will be criticized, you can never make everyone happy. But as a coach, you have to know that you gave it your best effort, and live with that. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Every coach gets fired, the good ones hang around and keep plugging. Just my 2 cents. .

Here's what I have seen over the years....it's not the coaches so much as the patience of the fans and community...and it seems to me that in general fans only want wins from every level....in today's time Frank Beamer would never make it 5 years....with his record then....a coach now would be gone....I think a coach needs tIme to get a feel for the players and community especially at thend high school level where you have to play what you are given....and sometimes winning isn't everything. .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT