ADVERTISEMENT

A special night in Dinwiddie

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Last night, the Dinwiddie football community hosted a homecoming for the first football team from Historic Southside High School. Southside HS was the last incarnation of the segregated all black high school in Dinwiddie.

They were provided dinner, and honored on the field at halftime. Also, they were the honorary Captains at the coin toss. They were given commemorative football jerseys and hats as well. (Incidentally, a few of them looked like could suit up and take the field!)

Southside only had a football team for three seasons, which began in 1966. There were approximately 25 former players and coaches in attendance. Sadly, the list of former players and coaches that have passed away is lengthy. But their names were read too.

Many, if not most, localities have a situation similar to Dinwiddie. The former segregated black high schools have mostly been forgotten. Maybe the buildings still stand, or maybe the buildings were converted to Middle Schools, etc., but the students that attended need not be forgotten. I encourage you to look at your local situation and see if you can organize something similar to what Dinwiddie held last night. This can’t be put off much longer. I would say the youngest of the students that would have been in fully segregated high schools is 70+?

I promise you, the reward of watching the many smiles, and the retelling of old stories, is well worth the effort it takes to organize a get-together like this.

BTW, if any of you tried to watch the Dinwiddie game last night on NFHS Network website, you saw that the picture quality was horrible.

If you go to the website, down at the bottom of the page is a tab to “Contact Us”.

If you follow the prompts you can easily report the specific problem by simply clicking on a selection.

I hope and encourage everyone that tried to watch the game to report this problem. I think we are all universally disappointed with almost all NFHS broadcast. Let’s at least complain and hope someone will pay attention.

Thank you.

Reactions: pizzzzza
BTW, if any of you tried to watch the Dinwiddie game last night on NFHS Network website, you saw that the picture quality was horrible.

If you go to the website, down at the bottom of the page is a tab to “Contact Us”.

If you follow the prompts you can easily report the specific problem by simply clicking on a selection.

I hope and encourage everyone that tried to watch the game to report this problem. I think we are all universally disappointed with almost all NFHS broadcast. Let’s at least complain and hope someone will pay attention.

Thank you.
That had to rank in the top 3 worst pictures of all time for me on NFHS....totally unwatchable!

That had to rank in the top 3 worst pictures of all time for me on NFHS....totally unwatchable!
I think it was condensation in the camera housing. It started out bad, and got worse as it got cooler.

BTW, the individual schools do not technically own or maintain that equipment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT