ADVERTISEMENT

Abbreviated Shenandoah Schedule This Week

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I am a little early this week due to some travel plans but the teams are cooperating by having only three games to discuss. Waynesboro has the week off this week.

As for Friday night's action, I guess there were two surprises, referring to the Riverheads and Wilson wins. The Big Red win was HUGE for them and should help them finish near the very top of the Region B standings. A 9-1 finish would be great but of course we have five more games to play. The Wilson win proves that we have a crowded middle of the pack and there are at least 3-4 teams that are either going to catch fire and finish strong or they will crash and burn.

Here is this week's abbreviated slate of games.........

BUFFALO GAP AT WILSON: The Hornets were a real mess against RHS two games ago, but it sounds as if things went much better for them in Staunton Friday night. So moving forward, the key for them will be determining which team they want to be. The Bison on the other hand are having a rough go of it and I will not be surprised if their win over Waynesboro turns out to be their only win of the season. I am sure they were excited at the beginning of the year about finally having Riverheads out of Class 1, but on paper it does not look as if they will be able to take too much advantage of that this year. Wilson should take this one by 2-3 scores unless they fumble the ball all over the place again.

FORT DEFIANCE AT STUARTS DRAFT: The Indians are quietly but confidently becoming a feisty little bunch that could cause some trouble the rest of the way. I believe they are on a three-game winning streak now so the Cougars will not be able to take them lightly. The Draft remains a formidable team and when they visit Riverheads on the 20th, it should be the game that decides the district title, as it usually has been these last few years. But first things first......I cannot guarantee you a Cougar win in this one, but that is my pick. However the Indians have already made their statement that they are not going to finish too near the bottom this season, so a fourth straight Indian win will not shock me in the least.

STAUNTON AT RIVERHEADS: If you had to name the two teams in the Shenandoah that are polar opposites it would be these two. Riverheads is the epitome of CCC and in this case I mean cool, calm and collected, although believe me, Big Red fans are VERY HAPPY to have the other CCC back in action. Friday night when faced with a major challenge against a quality team that was threatening to embarrass them on their own field, they simply went into the locker room at halftime, talked about what needed to be done, and came out and did it with poise and confidence. Staunton on the other hand is mega-talented and very explosive, and they have a coach that has them believing. But their problem as I see it is that they are almost TOO athletic for their own good. That makes them prone to turnovers, mental mistakes, etc. and they will not bring anywhere near the emotional control and discipline it will take to upset the Gladiators. They will have a big play here and there but they will also make mistakes that Riverheads will know exactly how to capitalize on. The Storm's only chance will be if RHS is still in the locker room celebrating Friday's game-winning field goal, and I just don't see that happening. Riverheads will take this one by about a 42-14 count.

Reactions: Bama1985
Gap and Wilson will go to Wilson. They are starting to get healthy again and turning up the heat. I hear that one or two of their injured starters are set to return and just in time for the late season push. Gap is still figuring out how to replace the lost production from last year and I just don't think they have enough to hang with Wilson.

Fort and Draft should be a really good game, probably the most competitive on the slate this weekend. Can Draft stop the dynamic duo of Forts QB/WR duo and can Fort stop the Graber brothers? I believe that Draft was also without #5, I believe that is the number, but he is back. He did not play a few weeks and should be at full health. Think it will be close, but I am going with Draft.

Staunton and Riverheads could have easily been a big game of the week. Riverheads has been rolling and now has CCC back. Staunton's record is deceiving and could easily be 6-0 or 5-1. If you look at common opponents the Central scores would make one think the game would be close. The Wilson's scores make it look like Staunton is over matched. I really do not know how much this will be a game. I think Staunton is down right now and see the score as a 42-0 or 6 type of game. Riverheads hopes to get done with no injuries and Staunton hopes the same and looks to limp into their bye week.

Great analysis so far but I will give a countering opinion on two games.

First off Wilson has the talent to make this a name your score game even while missing their senior standouts injured in game one. But I believe a few injured Bison may be returning and if they do it could be enough to upset the apple cart. Wilson wins but it may be closer than most think.

Fort and Draft has the makings of a classic in county rivalry game. Draft has developed their identity and so has Fort. Draft usually has the edge on defense and this year is likely the same but I am not sold that the back half of Drafts D can hold up to the decent passing attack Fort will be displaying. Special teams will play a part in this one, so go with the home team to provide some fireworks late on a return or block

Riverheads and Staunton is intriguing for a number of reasons. Will Riverheads have an emotional letdown and come out flat? Will Staunton utilize their plethora of talent to shotgun a way to score early and put pressure on the home standing Gladiators? Homecoming festivities can be distracting as well so we will see how sharp the blade is this week. Riverheads by a couple unless they are on the razors edge, if so it could be a long night for the Storm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT