ADVERTISEMENT

..after the 1a State Champ. game..maybe

2kings4

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 24, 2016
Winchester,VA
I see it different then most diehard Maroon's fans. They sit on those cold concrete steps as the G-Dud players separate the crowd, making their entrance right down the bleachers to the field. Everyone sharing the same goal to win the game it seems to the visitors, but they stay divided even after the player have cleared.
Politics have always ruled GW, I have seen many d1 all-state boys and girls at GW never to accomplish this goal to win and be the best they can. This starts from grade school grouping these kids in different groups, we don't compete against other schools, we play against each other, with the parents cheering for their kids' click to beat their future teammates. This division never leaves us, the kids, the parents, nor the community. The booster kids are always given favoritism at whatever cost. After the state title year in 2012 it came to a boiling point. A jealous parent stuck first and took out the coach, then the boosters fired their own shot and hired Harner.
This year has been hard for these players on the practice field and in the locker room..a lot of issues and fighting amongst each others..Harner has only divided them more, when plays are called because one kid needs the ball more then the other kid, you see what ending you get. After Sussex Central is crowned champ then maybe..just maybe people can see that it was GW's state title Harner stole and the FG at the end is just a reason to continue the fight.
PM was one hell of a team ask them about it. If GW doesn't turn the ball over on the ten twice, PM don't score, should have been 41-0,ask them. Then Sussex is an awesome, better then PM, an unbeatable team. With a coach GW wins this game 28-0. They have the best players they have ever had. I once thought they could win three, now I am hoping for just one next year. I was on the class of 2002's state title team. And I played almost every snap on the best GW team ever in 2004.The seniors on the 2004 team will never see things like most do..we won't ever say 2016 was a better team because they aren't a team. 2004 GW lost to Lebanon 19-27 during regular season, we went 9-0 the other games scoring 362-20 shutting out 7 teams. At 9-1 we didn't even get our shot at a state title, hell we didn't make the playoffs that year.

Seems like issues you find at bigger schools. Usually at the 1A, 2A level its more of a comradery. I'm sorry the adults are killing the fun for the kids.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Seems like issues you find at bigger schools. Usually at the 1A, 2A level its more of a comradery. I'm sorry the adults are killing the fun for the kids.

If you have access to hudl or the game video at Sussex, you can clearly see they play as individuals, don’t support or cheer each others. There are several times a kid can block someone but does nothing but watch. Their reactions to every play tales the story. Ten years from now they will realize the way they grew up against their teammates was wrong, like we all do here in the ville. Coaching has everything to do with this. Your right they should be having fun

Lol if anything riverheads don't have a reaction to anything they do they don't get amped after a good score there like robots

A lot of ifs in there. If PM wouldn't have taken the ball away you mean. If Sussex staff wouldn't have made adjustments. I could tell GW isn't a well coached team just frrom that one game. I heard parents in the stands arguing and complaining about Garner and they were up! What needs to happen again in sports is this, let the coach coach! If the kids don't like it don't play! If the parents don't like it, don't watch. That simple. Too many politics by bleacher coaches who want and want and when it comes down to it know nothing. My first assistant job nobody was allowed at practice, nobody! Nobody said anything and if they did they were made to leave, even the game. Period. GW has talent but if that's the coach that was hired, let him coach.

A lot of ifs in there. If PM wouldn't have taken the ball away you mean. If Sussex staff wouldn't have made adjustments. I could tell GW isn't a well coached team just frrom that one game. I heard parents in the stands arguing and complaining about Garner and they were up! What needs to happen again in sports is this, let the coach coach! If the kids don't like it don't play! If the parents don't like it, don't watch. That simple. Too many politics by bleacher coaches who want and want and when it comes down to it know nothing. My first assistant job nobody was allowed at practice, nobody! Nobody said anything and if they did they were made to leave, even the game. Period. GW has talent but if that's the coach that was hired, let him coach.
I was saying this ground and pound only scored on two drives of ten yards by throwing the ball. If they took it or it was given, does not matter. And Sussex well they won.
As far as hiding team issues from the public that is great if you can solve the problem, put it behind you, and move on as one. That was not done.

Reactions: oldballcoach13
Lol if anything riverheads don't have a reaction to anything they do they don't get amped after a good score there like robots
I like my players not to react a lot when scoring and winning. even those it happens rarely, but we are a family, and we have each others back.

Last edited:
This is what happens when people feel they are entitled to something. Stop your damn crying, put your big boy pants on. It don't get any easier in life, so suck it the hell up and move on. Anyone want to talk about basketball? Bahhahaha and so on. My lord people are starving and we gonna sit here at hate on a coach because he ain't perfect. Go find a team and coach that is. Any of you boys want to come to FC and play. LMAO!!!!!

This is what happens when people feel they are entitled to something. Stop your damn crying, put your big boy pants on. It don't get any easier in life, so suck it the hell up and move on. Anyone want to talk about basketball? Bahhahaha and so on. My lord people are starving and we gonna sit here at hate on a coach because he ain't perfect. Go find a team and coach that is. Any of you boys want to come to FC and play. LMAO!!!!!

Not crying at all. I just have never seen a school that does not put their best talent on field. Entitled means expecting something for nothing, those are the booster kids I am talking about, the kids that should be on the bench. Is this a problem everywhere? I noticed that other teams go to their best player more and more as they advance.

Why would anybody go to the fort when you can pay and play any position you can afford at GW.

Reactions: FORT89
Every school has those, it sucks. That's the dang truth but we will take the kids that can't afford to pay. That just doesn't sound right. LoL

I say this, it's not about where you play at, it's how much noise you make when you get there. FC plays with what they have and they seem to play as a team. I can't speak of the boosters issues at GW, because I'm not there. If that's the case, it sucks. It probably want get any better tho. So come on down to The Fort and have fun playing

Reactions: 2kings4
I have to agree...life isnt easy...you gotta deal with issues and get over them. People are starving and dying...people are homeless and have no family. Come on...this issue could easily be solved.

Seems that GW needs a complete outsider with no ties to Wytheville or the surrounding area and no ties to individuals. They need a seasoned, veteran coach who is a proven winner and who doesn't play politics.

It takes a strong demeanor and great ability as a coach to withstand parents who think they know more than the coach.

What lesson? The lesson of don't be a big baby is the lesson. It is not a secret that many kids these days are spoiled to the core. You nip that in the bud quickly if the parents wont. I don't know 5% of what goes on at GW but I do know the reaction and talk I seen and heard at the PM game, and they won. Plain and simple, parents and politics stay the hell out of coaching. I didn't care if your dad made $75k or the mom was the leader of the booster club, so what!! That entitles you to nothing, people don't understand that. Football is a team sport, not a parent sport but a player sport. I'll make this quick, years ago we had a player the year before we got there was an a average player. His parents were local company owners and this made him the star of the team supposedly. First game of the season we lost 31-7 he was a distraction of the team, caused disruptions, and was a below average player. We put another kid who busted his butt in his place the rest of the season. The kid cried complained and his parents threatened our jobs because they were "local celebrities". We still coached this kid, he was a thorn in the team. We let him go two weeks later. Long story short, 13-1 State Champions. The team was a team. No matter the firepower, talent, size, speed, etc. If you don't have a group of guys and coaches and parents that are all working towards the same goal, you've lost already! I hope all goes well in GW as they do have talent, size, speed, and other intangibles. Without community chemistry and coming together they will lose. Good luck.

I have to note than this board is fairly covered in post on GW and not many on the actual game coming up. I will say this. I have coached in Wytheville, I have lived in Wytheville, and I love Wytheville. The problems as stated are certainly true though. There are ways around it. My number 1 rule to kids (and it still is) goes: "I am your coach. I do not coach your parents. Should an issue arise YOU should come to me. If you would like your parent to handle the issue, they should speak with the AD." Not a popular rule, but I think my kids appreciated it a lot.
We also had the rule which stated "Win or lose no parent, reporter, or administrator should approach the coach for at least one half hour after the game." This was more for their safety. HAHA!

What lesson? The lesson of don't be a big baby is the lesson. It is not a secret that many kids these days are spoiled to the core. You nip that in the bud quickly if the parents wont. I don't know 5% of what goes on at GW but I do know the reaction and talk I seen and heard at the PM game, and they won. Plain and simple, parents and politics stay the hell out of coaching. I didn't care if your dad made $75k or the mom was the leader of the booster club, so what!! That entitles you to nothing, people don't understand that. Football is a team sport, not a parent sport but a player sport. I'll make this quick, years ago we had a player the year before we got there was an a average player. His parents were local company owners and this made him the star of the team supposedly. First game of the season we lost 31-7 he was a distraction of the team, caused disruptions, and was a below average player. We put another kid who busted his butt in his place the rest of the season. The kid cried complained and his parents threatened our jobs because they were "local celebrities". We still coached this kid, he was a thorn in the team. We let him go two weeks later. Long story short, 13-1 State Champions. The team was a team. No matter the firepower, talent, size, speed, etc. If you don't have a group of guys and coaches and parents that are all working towards the same goal, you've lost already! I hope all goes well in GW as they do have talent, size, speed, and other intangibles. Without community chemistry and coming together they will lose. Good luck.
My question is if the kids leave what lessons are the parents teaching the kids...I was actually agreeing with you coach.

Harner will still be at GW and the kids will still play, life will go on, and people will soon realize that very few people's lives revolve around high school football. I personally don't believe that there is a lot of favoritism that went on at GW when I was in high school. They whipped our butts and I was buddies with a lot of kids on the team who's parents weren't big names in the community, they were just good/great players. I still think the big issue at GW is when they lose straight up. GW walks on the field with the best talent in 99% of their games in football, so when they lose to someone with just as much talent, or at least close to it, it is foreign to them. Thus, they act the way they do. I know this GW team had a lot of talent, but I didn't see more talent on this team than I did in the '02, '04, or '08 teams. That's just my opinion. The booster problem could have happened since I've been gone, but when I was in school GW always put their best kid out there.

I see it different then most diehard Maroon's fans. They sit on those cold concrete steps as the G-Dud players separate the crowd, making their entrance right down the bleachers to the field. Everyone sharing the same goal to win the game it seems to the visitors, but they stay divided even after the player have cleared.
Politics have always ruled GW, I have seen many d1 all-state boys and girls at GW never to accomplish this goal to win and be the best they can. This starts from grade school grouping these kids in different groups, we don't compete against other schools, we play against each other, with the parents cheering for their kids' click to beat their future teammates. This division never leaves us, the kids, the parents, nor the community. The booster kids are always given favoritism at whatever cost. After the state title year in 2012 it came to a boiling point. A jealous parent stuck first and took out the coach, then the boosters fired their own shot and hired Harner.
This year has been hard for these players on the practice field and in the locker room..a lot of issues and fighting amongst each others..Harner has only divided them more, when plays are called because one kid needs the ball more then the other kid, you see what ending you get. After Sussex Central is crowned champ then maybe..just maybe people can see that it was GW's state title Harner stole and the FG at the end is just a reason to continue the fight.
PM was one hell of a team ask them about it. If GW doesn't turn the ball over on the ten twice, PM don't score, should have been 41-0,ask them. Then Sussex is an awesome, better then PM, an unbeatable team. With a coach GW wins this game 28-0. They have the best players they have ever had. I once thought they could win three, now I am hoping for just one next year. I was on the class of 2002's state title team. And I played almost every snap on the best GW team ever in 2004.The seniors on the 2004 team will never see things like most do..we won't ever say 2016 was a better team because they aren't a team. 2004 GW lost to Lebanon 19-27 during regular season, we went 9-0 the other games scoring 362-20 shutting out 7 teams. At 9-1 we didn't even get our shot at a state title, hell we didn't make the playoffs that year.
There is an old saying about the Frog and " if" have you heard it? I think the PM fans would tell you that " if " the punt had not stopped inside of the 1 yd line it could have been a different outcome.

As a player you know who should be playing. You know if you are better then your team mates. Everyone that watches them grow up, year after year knows also. I think Harner has conflict with a lot of players and holds grudges. Idk maybe a respect thing, but enough about that.....
They are losing 6 starters this year. They will be hard to replace.

There is an old saying about the Frog and " if" have you heard it? I think the PM fans would tell you that " if " the punt had not stopped inside of the 1 yd line it could have been a different outcome.
I am not saying "if" I am saying GW was to much for PM that is all.

Greenville has some nice houses for sale !

I don' t have a dog in this fight, but I surely must be missing something. So fill me in..........GW has advanced to the state semi-finals two years in a row, and if my foggy memory serves me correctly, they actually WON the state title no more than 4-5 years ago, didn't they?

So all of that sounds like a program that is on pretty solid ground and pretty successful. So what is all of this static all about?

Kids/Parents are complaining that Harner "belittles" them. Parents were very upset about some of the play calling against Sussex and believed Harner let them down. Sounds like Harner isn't well liked by the players/parents due to his nature as a human. They did win the title in '12, but that was under HS Ingo. He left due to allegations of "hazing". Also sounds like Harner wasn't the first choice, but GW Administration panicked and hired out of necessity. Again, this is all what I'm hearing/seeing on this board.

Reactions: 2kings4
Unreal. for 13-14 weeks we had to listen to how GW was, how great the players were, that the staff was finally coaching better and so on. They lose a game to Galax and it was turnovers it will be different in the state championship game. Then they lose to Sussex and it is coaches fault. Then this post comes up. So all of this may be true but so is this....... GW played one team in the regular season Galax and lost. Marion was an average AA school, Radford was young, Chilhowie a year away and PH did not have the horses to compete with them, FC was still trying to find themselves. 1 A West had two teams at the top GW and Galax then the next group were good teams but not title contenders. so the truth is and it may hurt bbut GW just wasn't' that good........ better than everyone else absolutely.......state champs no way. I am not trying to offend anyone from GW but the fans believed the hype and it is a tough pill to swallow.

At this point of season you go to your talent, because a teams best has to carry them. first 8 poss. 19 and 7 touch ball once. last two poss. they go to them 15 times. Harner only used them then cause he had too. 19 would have been ejected if game had been played in west. If this is your go to guy why wait til the end of game and pass to him 10 times straight. What coach would do that? GW and Harner may never reach that point again. Trying to win without someones help just to prove a point, only to realize in the end, he couldn't prove his point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT