ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst announcer stepping down

Wow, Wikki. What a great person. He is exactly the type of person that we all want our kids to be exposed to. Having people like him around, nurturing the kids, is every bit as important as what goes on in the classroom.

Huge shoes to fill. Hopefully the next George Dawson is waiting in the wings.

Wow, Wikki. What a great person. He is exactly the type of person that we all want our kids to be exposed to. Having people like him around, nurturing the kids, is every bit as important as what goes on in the classroom.

He is very passionate, he gets choked up when talking about the kids

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

Mr.Dawson is one of the best guys I've ever met.Being a young African American kid with a speech and hearing problems this man invited my cousins and myself to his home and treated us like we was his children.I remember asking my parents on a regular basis could I go over to his house after practice.The only reason I bring this up is because this man didn't care about your skin color or your background.Everybody in Amherst knew him and everybody benefited from knowing him,you just don't replace guys like that..Sometimes in life we deal with people that act or look like you but picking someone up no matter what background you have makes you a special person in my mind..Thanks to Mr.Dawson

Last edited:
Mr.Dawson is one of the best guys I've ever met.Being a young African American kid with a speech and hearing problems this man invited my cousins and myself to his home and treated us like we was his children.I remember asking my parents on a regular basis could I go over to his house after practice.The only reason I bring this up is because this man didn't care about your skin color or your background.Everybody in Amherst knew him and everybody benefited from knowing him,you just don't replace guys like that..Sometimes in life we deal with people that act or look like you but picking someone up no matter what background you have makes you a special person in my mind..Thanks to Mr.Dawson
Thanks that was very touching. That is exactly the type person he was. Everyone loves him. He is truly going to be missed. I had to make sure he got his food in the press box on Friday nights.

Last edited:
Thanks that was very touching. That is exactly the type person he was. Everyone loved him. He is truly going to be missed. I had to make sure he got his food in the press box on Friday nights.
Wow, again! To be fed by Wikki is an honor in itself!

I was really hoping to eat your Taco soup again. But, I knew it would take a lot of stars lining up. But, at least you shared your recipe with me. And I thank you for that.

Reactions: wikki
I was really hoping to eat your Taco soup again. But, I knew it would take a lot of stars lining up. But, at least you shared your recipe with me. And I thank you for that.
Maybe one day it will be back at LU, I heard that LCA was building a football field

Maybe one day it will be back at LU, I heard that LCA was building a football field
I think there's more to the story than just LCA playing on LU's field, but I could be wrong. I think there are vast differences between LU's conservatism and VHSL's Charlottesville liberalism. Not saying what's right or wrong, to each his own, but they just don't see eye to eye. Not to mention LCA's lawsuit to get in on the exclusive VHSL party. I bet the VHSL was tickled pink when LCA got pasted in their first ever playoff football game, and probably not disappointed when they missed out this year!

I think they will find the Seminole uninviting, football-wise, and 4A is even less welcoming. I think the enrollment will drop without the automatic LU scholarship and 3A will be a better fit, but still very difficult in football. I see a possible enrollment drop in the next 6 years or so (just my guess) and they could possibly drop to 2A in the future. if that happens they should be in a good competitive football playoff situation. (other sports will do ok in 4A and certainly in 3A) These are all just my opinions, observations, and guesses. LCA wanted in on the VHSL football playoff pot and I think what they had to give up (& rightfully so) was more than they bargained for to be competitive in 4A playoff football.

Playing in the Seminole will be no picnic, but that will make them competitive once they drop to 3A or 2A (if that happens) Although, as good as Appomattox is right now and with Doug Smith at the helm, advancing through 2A football playoff from the Lynchburg region will be difficult. IF Smith has any interest in coaching for a bigger school in Lynchburg, or elsewhere for that matter, (possibly even a small college gig or an asst job at a bigger school) then things could change quickly in 2A. Something tells me (again just a guess) that Smith has found his home. He was in the process of turning Heritage around when they abruptly let him go and got Bradley instead. (a good coach as well, just a different mindset)

I could see Smith being successful at a small college (like Abell from Amherst to W&L) but my personal opinion is he's found a place where the Lord can use him. With his previous Heritage experience, that probably left a bad taste in his mouth, I just see him staying put. (He will likely get a lot of offers in the Lynchburg/Roanoke area especially from bigger schools looking to make big turnarounds- like Appomattox did from feeling good about making the playoffs to a 25 game winning streak (possibly back to back titles, still to be TBD)

What team wouldn't want him? There are none really any better, from the standpoint of a successful coach, to just a really good leader and molder of young people. Looking into the crystal ball a little bit, if LCA struggles to go .500 in the Seminole (as they struggled to make the playoffs and be relevant the last 2 years in 4A) What are the odds that a Christian school looking to be relevant in the VHSL, offer a known like minded coach to lead that school? (Again just all my speculation, and probably a well worn hypothesis (like in Clue, the Butler in the pantry, with a candlestick holder or whatever is most likely or obvious)

Last edited:
I think there's more to the story than just LCA playing on LU's field, but I could be wrong. I think there are vast differences between LU's conservatism and VHSL's Charlottesville liberalism. Not saying what's right or wrong, to each his own, but they just don't see eye to eye. Not to mention LCA's lawsuit to get in on the exclusive VHSL party. I bet the VHSL was tickled pink when LCA got pasted in their first ever playoff football game, and probably not disappointed when they missed out this year!

I think they will find the Seminole uninviting, football-wise, and 4A is even less welcoming. I think the enrollment will drop without the automatic LU scholarship and 3A will be a better fit, but still very difficult in football. I see a possible enrollment drop in the next 6 years or so (just my guess) and they could possibly drop to 2A in the future. if that happens they should be in a good competitive football playoff situation. (other sports will do ok in 4A and certainly in 3A) These are all just my opinions, observations, and guesses. LCA wanted in on the VHSL football playoff pot and I think what they had to give up (& rightfully so) was more than they bargained for to be competitive in 4A playoff football.

Playing in the Seminole will be no picnic, but that will make them competitive once they drop to 3A or 2A (if that happens) Although, as good as Appomattox is right now and with Doug Smith at the helm, advancing through 2A football playoff from the Lynchburg region will be difficult. IF Smith has any interest in coaching for a bigger school in Lynchburg, or elsewhere for that matter, (possibly even a small college gig or an asst job at a bigger school) then things could change quickly in 2A. Something tells me (again just a guess) that Smith has found his home. He was in the process of turning Heritage around when they abruptly let him go and got Bradley instead. (a good coach as well, just a different mindset)

I could see Smith being successful at a small college (like Abell from Amherst to W&L) but my personal opinion is he's found a place where the Lord can use him. With his previous Heritage experience, that probably left a bad taste in his mouth, I just see him staying put. (He will likely get a lot of offers in the Lynchburg/Roanoke area especially from bigger schools looking to make big turnarounds- like Appomattox did from feeling good about making the playoffs to a 25 game winning streak (possibly back to back titles, still to be TBD)

What team wouldn't want him? There are very few any better, from the standpoint of a successful coach, to just a really good leader and molder of young people

I agree with everything you said. I know that it is much more than LCA getting in the VHSL, it is also political. I was more or less making conversation with Dinwiddie. I have never been a fan of LCA and everyone knows it. LCA got what they wanted or did they really. I believe that now since they have to follow the rules, they will not win another title because they will not have the students anymore because they cannot offer all the extras that no other schools can. They might be able to if they drop down to 2A or 1A and I don't think that would be fair either. They will probably petition again if they see that their season is not as good anymore. I am happy for Smith at Appomattox but if someone talks money he will leave. Abell turned it down several times until the package was just too good.

I agree with everything you said. I know that it is much more than LCA getting in the VHSL, it is also political. I was more or less making conversation with Dinwiddie. I have never been a fan of LCA and everyone knows it. LCA got what they wanted or did they really. I believe that now since they have to follow the rules, they will not win another title because they will not have the students anymore because they cannot offer all the extras that no other schools can. They might be able to if they drop down to 2A or 1A and I don't think that would be fair either. They will probably petition again if they see that their season is not as good anymore. I am happy for Smith at Appomattox but if someone talks money he will leave. Abell turned it down several times until the package was just too good.
I edited my previous post from when you responded, but if a small college doesn't offer, I'd be willing to place odds on LCA offering Smith if LCA struggles their 1st full year in the Seminole after getting beat down in their 1st playoff game in the VHSL and missing all together this year.

Reactions: wikki
Ok guys...I'm not very educated on all this VHSL stuff...but I've wondered before, why don't they ever play the state games at Scott Stadium at UVA? It's in Charlottesville, which is where the VHSL is, and Charlottesville is pretty centrally located. I mean...it might be a long drive for schools like Norcom etc...but I just think it would be pretty cool to have the state title game at UVA's field. I mean come on, we NEVER see a good game at Scott Stadium (sorry HoosFan05)

Ok guys...I'm not very educated on all this VHSL stuff...but I've wondered before, why don't they ever play the state games at Scott Stadium at UVA? It's in Charlottesville, which is where the VHSL is, and Charlottesville is pretty centrally located. I mean...it might be a long drive for schools like Norcom etc...but I just think it would be pretty cool to have the state title game at UVA's field. I mean come on, we NEVER see a good game at Scott Stadium (sorry HoosFan05)
I think this was discussed before, a while ago before you joined. If I remember correctly, it was a parking issue? Or maybe I'm confusing that with William and Mary, I dunno.

Ok, found the thread, did not find out why not UVA. https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals...es-for-state-championships.34904/#post-166415

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
For at least a few years the 5/6A games were played at UVA, when 3/4A was played at LU, and 1/2A was played at Salem Stadium.

Couldn't LCA/LU reinstitute the free college offer if they chose to? I don't remember anything in the agreement that prevents this. This would provide a legal way for them to recruit. If they went this route, it could significantly improve their chances in the Seminole and thus, making a little noise in the playoffs.

Couldn't LCA/LU reinstitute the free college offer if they chose to? I don't remember anything in the agreement that prevents this. This would provide a legal way for them to recruit. If they went this route, it could significantly improve their chances in the Seminole and thus, making a little noise in the playoffs.
I think that was part of the deal and it wouldn't be fair if they could

I think it was one of those unofficial VHSL & LCA agreements not put in writing, but most certainly part of their agreement to be able to join. Concessions were made by both sides, LCA gets the whole city of Lynchburg to pull from, but has the *1.5 multiplier and I'm sure they had to have agreed to stop the scholarship to LU as part of the deal. (Or maybe that was LCA/LU's sly way to eliminate the scholarship because the enrollment nearly quadrupled since they started offering it 23 yrs ago. Maybe they thought they could keep the enrollment at an acceptable level (maybe just above 500) without having to give away a revenue decreasing resource for $6,750 per year even from 3rd grade up, minus costs of staff and actually educating each child. In economics I believe this principle is known as opportunity cost. They were essentially giving away something that maybe they no longer had to because the enrollment at LCA will stay at a decent level because the education is pretty good quality AND a lot of those kids would go to LU anyway paying $375 or so per credit hour (that may be an old figure, but that figure doesn't even include all of the fees colleges put on each student, books which can easily run at least $600 per semester for basic run of the mill classes, automatic state grants (I want to say they were called TAG grants when I went there which was about $1,500 a year that the state of Virginia gives LU per student for keeping students in state I think, or if a student wanted room and board to live on campus if they so chose) Generally , depending on tuition, fees, books, etc can easily run $8,000-$10,000. If they are a resident student that number would probably run $18,000-$23,000. (With the meal plan at school and considering what teenagers and 20 somethings eat, it may be cheaper than letting them live in your house, eating your food , taking 12 showers per day, and the cost of electricity , water, sewer, etc- don't forget to factor in that kids that age with no real responsibilities don't often turn off lights, fans, devices always plugged in whether in use or not)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT