ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amherst will be one of a number of teams that I'll be watching this season, to see how they respond to a new head coach. I will be shocked at anything less that 5-5 this year. And I would pencil them into the playoffs this year.

One team down my way that will be watched closely is Hermitage. After the debacle last season, landing Coach Bedwell of L C Bird fame, was a major coup.

Another is Mike Henderson, taking over at Powhatan from the legendary coach, Jim Woodson.

(Danny, how many head coaching changes were there in the Richmond area alone this year? 14?)

What new head coaches will you be watching this year?

Amherst will be one of a number of teams that I'll be watching this season, to see how they respond to a new head coach. I will be shocked at anything less that 5-5 this year. And I would pencil them into the playoffs this year.

One team down my way that will be watched closely is Hermitage. After the debacle last season, landing Coach Bedwell of L C Bird fame, was a major coup.

Another is Mike Henderson, taking over at Powhatan from the legendary coach, Jim Woodson.

(Danny, how many head coaching changes were there in the Richmond area alone this year? 14?)

Amherst will qualify for the playoffs regardless of record because they're in Region D which only has 8 teams.

Huh? They're going to be lucky to win like 4 games, their schedule is beyond brutal. Salem, GW, Blacksburg, Heritage, Brookville, Glass, JF are 7 of their first 8 games.

I believe they will be scrimmaging Millbrook here pretty soon. Obviously scrimmages you take with a grain of salt but if they compete well with Millbrook I would say Amherst should not be overlooked.

I believe they will be scrimmaging Millbrook here pretty soon. Obviously scrimmages you take with a grain of salt but if they compete well with Millbrook I would say Amherst should not be overlooked.
Hopefully that will give some indication but the Salem game will definitely let us know what to expect

Reactions: VolNation85

Thanks DP but 5 wins would be something short of a miracle.Amherst is headed in right direction and our time will come again very soon.Not lifting for 2 years and losing 2 of our best players to other schools is to much right now.

Thanks DP but 5 wins would be something short of a miracle.Amherst is headed in right direction and our time will come again very soon.Not lifting for 2 years and losing 2 of our best players to other schools is to much right now.
Wow, no lifting for a couple of years? I didn't realize that the coaching turmoil had been so disruptive of the program. One thing is for sure, Coach Christmas will take the kids he has a lot further than many coaches could.

I know the Ayers kid transferred to Glass but who is the other player you are referring to?

I know the Ayers kid transferred to Glass but who is the other player you are referring to?

Ran into someone yesterday and they said the Ayers kid ended up being the only one who transferred. The other worked out with Glass this summer but has since gone back to Amherst(maybe after seeing he wasn't going to get a ton of playing time?) and begged to be let back on the team but Christmas wouldn't budge due to him already exceeding the maximum amount of practice misses a player can have and still be on the team. It's unfortunate because the kid has a ton of potential from what I hear.

Yes I heard that about the lifting. That is nonsense.

Wow, no lifting for a couple of years? I didn't realize that the coaching turmoil had been so disruptive of the program. One thing is for sure, Coach Christmas will take the kids he has a lot further than many coaches could.
Word is Phillips left in April, there was no lifting until July of that year. And started again when Christmas got hired, two years is an exaggeration...imo.

Ran into someone yesterday and they said the Ayers kid ended up being the only one who transferred. The other worked out with Glass this summer but has since gone back to Amherst(maybe after seeing he wasn't going to get a ton of playing time?) and begged to be let back on the team but Christmas wouldn't budge due to him already exceeding the maximum amount of practice misses a player can have and still be on the team. It's unfortunate because the kid has a ton of potential from what I hear.
wrong again!!!!

Whatever you say! I’ve learned better than to try and engage in reasonable discourse with you.
Some of what you said was correct but Christmas turning him away was incorrect. Also he did not leave glass because of his ability. In order to transfer you have to physically move and you also have to be vhsl eligible. These things must happen and if a team plays an ineligible player they must forfeit all games that the ineligible player played.

Reactions: catchtds
I believe @Lineheart was referring to two different players at two different schools judging by his use of the word "schools", not two players to one school.

I don’t post often I really just like to read everyone else’s opinions but I will say this let’s not focus on the ones who left to go elsewhere let’s focus on the players who have stayed and are going to try to help turn our program around! I cannot even tell you how happy it makes me to see the guys looking like a team and smiling after practice something I didn’t see too often last year. We have a tough schedule to start so everyone if your not playing us please be rooting for the lancers it will give the guys a big confidence boost if we can at least get one win out of one (hopefully more) of our first 3 games!

Reactions: MrSir#5 and moto138
I don’t post often I really just like to read everyone else’s opinions but I will say this let’s not focus on the ones who left to go elsewhere let’s focus on the players who have stayed and are going to try to help turn our program around! I cannot even tell you how happy it makes me to see the guys looking like a team and smiling after practice something I didn’t see too often last year. We have a tough schedule to start so everyone if your not playing us please be rooting for the lancers it will give the guys a big confidence boost if we can at least get one win out of one (hopefully more) of our first 3 games!
I agree. I have talked to several of the players and I haven't seen them this excited in a long time. They are so pumped and with the number of players coming out goes to show you the excitement

Reactions: moto138
I would love to see Amherst back on Appomattox schedule again, it could be called the ACHS champions bowl.

I would love to see Amherst back on Appomattox schedule again, it could be called the ACHS champions bowl.
yes me too and take off Blacksburg. The Appomattox and Amherst crowd had both sides of the bleachers at full capacity for the last game

Word is Phillips left in April, there was no lifting until July of that year. And started again when Christmas got hired, two years is an exaggeration...imo.
Why you think it is a exaggeration?I go to the high school atleast 4 days a week.I watched 12-18 kids for 2 years workout by themselves with no coaches on the field.No exaggeration my Brother.

Why you think it is a exaggeration?I go to the high school atleast 4 days a week.I watched 12-18 kids for 2 years workout by themselves with no coaches on the field.No exaggeration my Brother.

Gotcha but my timeline is facts, also the kids that had weight training class lifted all season.

Last edited:
Just saying, Phillips left in April, they lifted after school and during class from my source.

Well they're lifting and conditioning now and they're gearing up for a tough season. Can't change the turbulent past, they're looking forward as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT