ADVERTISEMENT

Another head coaching change

Is this a 0-2 start reason? Or is there more too it; very short leash if it’s because of the first two games.

I heard not as bad but still bad, similar to the Amherst coach and his methods. Also heard an assistant was let go too.

I heard not as bad but still bad, similar to the Amherst coach and his methods. Also heard an assistant was let go too.
He made a statement on the news and said he was fired but had the coaching techniques he had prior so not sure what happenedz

This is what happens when boosters have too much say. The current administration doesn’t have the guts to say no to them. The current admin at SRHS doesn’t support their coaches and anyone who would want to coach their is insane. SR parents just ran out 2 of the best coaches in this area because they were coaching them too tough. 26-3 in the past 2 years and some soft group of kids and whiny parents come thru and they are gone?!? The admin have openly admitted they care more about the perception of the program than the actual lessons the kids are learning. What a joke. This isn’t the first time Bedford county has screwed over a hard working employee though is it?

After further review, I think it was a witch hunt. I also heard a bunch of players quit after showing up to the weightroom all summer. I guess the expectations of blowing people out again was going to be the norm and they got a rude awakening. I don't think the coaches are at fault here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The new head coach was an assistant last year. He didn’t want to come to weight lifting and wanted to leave practice early every day all while getting a varsity head coaching stipend. Oh, he is also very tight with all the upset boosters. Not too hard to connect the dots.....

Reactions: catchtds
This is what happens when boosters have too much say. The current administration doesn’t have the guts to say no to them. The current admin at SRHS doesn’t support their coaches and anyone who would want to coach their is insane. SR parents just ran out 2 of the best coaches in this area because they were coaching them too tough. 26-3 in the past 2 years and some soft group of kids and whiny parents come thru and they are gone?!? The admin have openly admitted they care more about the perception of the program than the actual lessons the kids are learning. What a joke. This isn’t the first time Bedford county has screwed over a hard working employee though is it?
His statement didn’t say anything about the Boosters, so not sure. He must have done something to initiate this. If it was anything like that previous Amherst coach then he should have been fired

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
His statement didn’t say anything about the Boosters, so not sure. He must have done something to initiate this. If it was anything like that previous Amherst coach then he should have been fired
What exactly did he get fired for?

He was fired because a few of the parents of the new corp of kids thought that the practices he was running were too tough for their kids. The administration allows the parents and boosters to sit on the hill and critique every little thing that happens at practice. Add that to the fact they lost ever starter on both sides of the ball and these kids and parents ridiculously high expectations and you have a big problem. It also hurts when you mix in an administration that just wants to keep the parents happy instead of doing what is right.

Being a head football coach at a high school is one of the toughest jobs I can imagine. Even if I had the football knowledge and skill, I would not have the thick skin and management ability to handle the bombardment of attention and opinions from all directions. I realize school principals also have a lot of that going on with their job too, but football coach is way more challenging in my opinion. Whatever the stipend is, it is not enough.

Being a head football coach at a high school is one of the toughest jobs I can imagine. Even if I had the football knowledge and skill, I would not have the thick skin and management ability to handle the bombardment of attention and opinions from all directions. I realize school principals also have a lot of that going on with their job too, but football coach is way more challenging in my opinion. Whatever the stipend is, it is not enough.

Agree and its only getting worse with this instant gratification society we live in.

No coach with half a brain will apply for that job in the offseason. Nobody worth a darn would apply for a job that didn't back its old coach and lets the parents run things. It just went from bad to worse.

Reactions: Rev_Real

You don't have to respond if you aren't sure. I am sure. Its ridiculous to speculate that these coaches were anything like Amherst. Maybe just trying to get your post count up?

To ever mention coach Haymore and the former coach of Amherst in the same sentence is absolutely ridiculous highly offensive. I would suggest if you don't know anything about the program or those involved keep your opinions to yourself and not spread rumors. Fake news.

Reactions: oldfool
Overstreet, Tester, Jones and the rest of that group gave SRHS a few special years. Sadly, looks like a few idiot administrators and vocal parents inserte themselves in a situation they had NO QUALIFICATIONS to evaluate. No one would confuse the entirety of the SRHS football history with success and the last few years were the exception(the Jarrett Ferguson led squads the only other obvious exception) rather than the general rule. No coach, without ties to these administrators and parents, should give SRHS a second look. This is not saying the current coach could not have necessarily done some things better but, an opinion that the administration mishandled the process badly. Coaches have enough challenges to produce a good team without having to overcome idiot administrations and out of touch parents and fan bases.

You don't have to respond if you aren't sure. I am sure. Its ridiculous to speculate that these coaches were anything like Amherst. Maybe just trying to get your post count up?
I can and that is what was said. I actually talked to someone last night that taught there last year and he said it was similiar to Amherst.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
So if it was a problem last year then why wasn't the previous head coach fired? This is coach Haymore's first season as HC. I know this isn't the case anyway, your assumptions are ignorant. I bet that teacher never made it to a single practice and witnessed anything. Ignorance tends to invite more ignorance.

So if it was a problem last year then why wasn't the previous head coach fired? This is coach Haymore's first season as HC. I know this isn't the case anyway, your assumptions are ignorant. I bet that teacher never made it to a single practice and witnessed anything. Ignorance tends to invite more ignorance.
Winning makes many problems go away

How does last year come into play? I didn't see anyone post that there were any problems last year

Last edited:
There wasn't a problem last year, no matter what Wikki's source indicates. The only problem this year, is a group of whiny parents cried so hard to the administration because their kids quit. That same admin doesn't back their coaches, so to make parents happy they fired the coaches. Same philosophy, same practice schedule, same lessons.....different group of parents and kids.

I hope those parents apply for the job! Because they will find out very quickly that it is really easy to coach football from the stands or the top of the hill. Not the case when the lights come on and you are standing on that sideline. But I'm POSITIVE that the think they know more than any coach. Just ask them, they will likely have lots of ideas of how things should be done......but that whistle gets awful tight around your neck.

I hope those parents apply for the job! Because they will find out very quickly that it is really easy to coach football from the stands or the top of the hill. Not the case when the lights come on and you are standing on that sideline. But I'm POSITIVE that the think they know more than any coach. Just ask them, they will likely have lots of ideas of how things should be done......but that whistle gets awful tight around your neck.

They wont apply, cause I'm sure they think lil "Johnny" will be better off now that he doesn't have someone up his ass on the practice field. Parents just amaze me

Wasnt there all kinds of people talking bad about the coach who retired after last year? I dont know which posters it was, just remember saying he only left because of talent, had nothing to do with other things. I dont know the coach from last year or this year or the program, but that kind of sounds like some of the trouble started before the season started.

As for Wikki, I read it as saying talked to a teacher who taught there last year, nothing about coaching last year. But was the coach who is now gone a coach last year? Its certainly sad for those kids to lose a coach mid season

Gotcha, I think wiki was referring to the information he received was from a former teacher at that school from last year and not about the coaching from last year.
Exactly what I meant, but people like to insult on here, no big deal.

Wasnt there all kinds of people talking bad about the coach who retired after last year? I dont know which posters it was, just remember saying he only left because of talent, had nothing to do with other things. I dont know the coach from last year or this year or the program, but that kind of sounds like some of the trouble started before the season started.

As for Wikki, I read it as saying talked to a teacher who taught there last year, nothing about coaching last year. But was the coach who is now gone a coach last year? Its certainly sad for those kids to lose a coach mid season
Exactly what I meant

They wont apply, cause I'm sure they think lil "Johnny" will be better off now that he doesn't have someone up his ass on the practice field. Parents just amaze me
I have seen a few parents over the past few years told how it’s going to be , and if you don’t like it ..... take your kid home with you .. you have to have the backing of the administration. Without that , a coach is vulnerable .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT