ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox Raiders vs Glenvar Highlanders

oldfool2

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 17, 2019
What a whirlwind of a year with spring football and then fall ball so close afterwards. Covid and injuries have wrecked havoc on all teams and yet here we are thick into the playoffs with teams facing tougher opponets each week in the playoffs. Appomattox is basically back to a full squad and made a great improvement in their play against a very good Radford team whom was down with injuries some. Will Appo get in some good practices and make things click like they are capable of? Glenvar has been playing good ball this season and historically is a good matchup with Appo. Coach Smith will have a game plan that ensures success for the Raiders, but can they continue to improve and execute the game plan? Can Glenvar control Appos explosiveness to limit our scoring? I believe this is going to be a really great game.

Last edited:
I don’t believe Glenvar can beat Appo unless the Raiders have a really off game.
I would have to agree with you especially if we can get some things dialed in this week during practice. Too many exploitable holes in defense that has to be tightened up by my eye, but may have been a strategy against radford to limit other areas. I dont think Appo will have a problem putting points on the board offense is doing pretty good and Tre appears to be getting his form back.

So if Glenvar wins, both of you will you say "Appo had a really off game"? Sounds like it.

The last time Appo came to Glenvar, Appo was very highly favored after a beat down on Giles. As it turned out, Appo was very fortunate to leave Highlander Stadium with the win. I expect the same type of game again fellas.
Actually no. I was leaning toward accepting defeat from Radford and the boys turned their game around and started playing close to there potential. So with that said i was and am stil concerned that Glenvar will get the win. And i have stated Glenvar historically has played Appo tough.

Reactions: Triple Opt
Actually no. I was leaning toward accepting defeat from Radford and the boys turned their game around and started playing close to there potential. So with that said i was and am stil concerned that Glenvar will get the win. And i have stated Glenvar historically has played Appo tough.
I respect Glenvar, but just think the Raiders are too good. I think Appo wins in a game closer than the Radford score, but still an out of reach type game for Glenvar by the time the 4th qtr starts. I think Appo advances to the state level, but the Highlanders I think, will put up a much tougher fight then we were able to put up.

So if Glenvar wins, both of you will you say "Appo had a really off game"? Sounds like it.

The last time Appo came to Glenvar, Appo was very highly favored after a beat down on Giles. As it turned out, Appo was very fortunate to leave Highlander Stadium with the win. I expect the same type of game again fellas.
I hope it’s a competitive game. Maybe Glenvar wins, I really don’t have a dog in this fight other than if Graham wins, we play the winner of this game. What’s the saying, “To be the man, you have to beat the man!” In 2A , Appomattox is the man. If Glenvar beats them, then kudos to them. Good luck to both teams!

Reactions: Intrinsicrewards
I watched the Glenvar- Radford game and Radford should have won that game hands down just think there were some coaching errors on Radford s sideline ! Appo will score a lot on them to much speed at impact then into the next level , was very impressed with the passing game of Radford and Glenvar is very similar , the QB came to appo last spring and lit it up , from the 10 to the 10 looking for the same type of game . Appo by 21 +

If you go back and look at the article by the Roanoke Times you will see Appo was not heavily favored. Fact is they were not favored at all. And of course that was 2018 when Appo played Glenvar at Appos home away from home at Salem field.

I know people don't like to compare scores but after each played Radford I think Appo runs away with this one. I had said I thought Glenvar would be first competitive game for Appo but think we might have to wait another week for that.

Well, while I think we have had better team at times in the past Glenvar has always found ways to make it a game for the most part.
Do I think Appomattox should win this game, yea probably, but if we don't play like last week and revert to playing like weeks prior I see Glenvar taking the Region C title by multiple scores maybe.

They gave had deep playoff runs for a reason, good players and well coached. Their QB is dangerous with his arm and feet as well. Could be a great game.

A lot will come down to the play of our line both ways.

Virginia and West Virginia allow post Thanksgiving day playoff games (Friday) to be played (if the team wants to) in the day (early afternoon) if chosen. This is kind of a special circumstance or day where this is allowed. Makes sense with the cold weather coming in.

Sounds like playoff football weather. I can recall 2 playoff games that I have been at with a wind chill of 20 below in the past.

Last edited:
It’s gonna be cold but the coldest game I personally attended was in ‘13 against Giles. It was in the teens at kickoff and the wind was blowing like crazy plus they had the horn cranked up, lol. To this day one of my favorite atmospheres that I have watched a game in even with the Gladiators losing that one. I gotta say that I really don’t like the cold but wind is the devils work.... Hate the damn wind regardless of the temp but cold and windy is a special kind of hell.

Good luck to everyone this week and with so many games spread out over Friday/Saturday we all should get to watch some outside of our area.

Sounds like playoff football weather. I can recall 2 playoff games that I have been at with a wind chill of 20 below in the past.
19GHS87, was one of those a playoff game at Blacksburg in the 1980s? I ask because my older brother played at Blacksburg. I was a kid, not yet a teenager, and remember the Graham Gmen coming to town in Blacksburg for a playoff game in which it was wicked cold at Blacksburg that day. 84 or 85ish I think it was. I was there.

It’s gonna be cold but the coldest game I personally attended was in ‘13 against Giles. It was in the teens at kickoff and the wind was blowing like crazy plus they had the horn cranked up, lol. To this day one of my favorite atmospheres that I have watched a game in even with the Gladiators losing that one. I gotta say that I really don’t like the cold but wind is the devils work.... Hate the damn wind regardless of the temp but cold and windy is a special kind of hell.

Good luck to everyone this week and with so many games spread out over Friday/Saturday we all should get to watch some outside of our area.
Coldest game I have went to or played in was the state championship when Strasburg played Bath County. It was so cold and windy. The field was so frozen that neither team could wear cleats. The metal tips would just slide. I think it was like 10 degrees at kickoff. The games this weekend are going to be cold ones as well

I don't see anyway that Glenvar wins this game. Appomattox is just too athletic. Glenvar would have a chance if they can throw the ball. Radford had 402 yards passing against Appo. our QB is way more mobile than the Glenvar QB which created time for receivers to get open. If Appo will press up on the receivers and take away the short routes, Glenvar will really struggle. Lots of people like the Glenvar's starting QB but he hasn't done much against Radford over the last three years. 25 of 63 for 257 yards, 1 TD and 6 INTs. The backup freshman did better than him in this last game.

Rhs vs giles was very cold, also lee high vs brookville with Logan thomas at qb it was very cold as well, I think during the rhs vs giles game the walmart down the hill from the field sold out of all there winter apparel that day

Then Glenvar has nothing to lose, right? I hope Glenvar shows up with the same attitude that marched down the field with the second stringers to beat Radford with a walk off TD.
Why would the 2nd team be in in that situation? Potentially losing home field in the playoffs? If that is true, why?

Why would the 2nd team be in in that situation? Potentially losing home field in the playoffs? If that is true, why?
Wont 2nd stringers unless they played 2nd string all season lmao.'

"Appo by 21, Glenvar has no chance, or Glenvar only wins if
Appo has a bad day" My comments were meant to give some insight on why Glenvar might be better than some of you think, but looks like my posts were just mocked so I took them down. So...hope both teams have a great game tomorrow with no injuries, and the winner goes all the way. Nothing but respect for Appo and Radford.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Appo has a bad day" My comments were meant to give some insight on why Glenvar might be better than some of you think, but looks like my posts were just mocked so I took them down. So...hope both teams have a great game tomorrow with no injuries, and the winner goes all the way. Nothing but respect for Appo and Radford.
I Personally think that this game is going to be a great one and either team has a chance , it’s a great matchup, seems to be a thanksgiving tradition that they play on this weekend. So good luck to both teams hope the weather is good .

I think it should be a great game.
Will come down to our line play on both sides of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT