ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Radford.

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Whats everyone’s thoughts?
I say the Raiders are in for a test. This game will gauge how good we really are.
Come out flat, Radford might jump all over us.

Radford can be tough on the line in defense and offense, their pass protection has a few holes as we do also. I think coach C will have a great defensive plan and know how to tweak our offense to exploit Radford. I honestly think Appo has greater speed to swarm to the ball as our defense has been pretty stout this year. Our offense has the speed to get into secondary and beyond providing the line opens a hole. If Treys arm is on target then Radford is in trouble as our recievers can create nice gaps. Look for this to be a low scoring game with Appo winning it by 9.

Best team Appo has seen all year so it’ll be close but I think ultimately Appo wins this by a few TDs. Radford has a heck of a program, pretty much good in all sports. I think Dan River would give them the best game, but I honestly don’t believe that they’ll beat Glenvar just because they tend to disappear in the big games. I hope I’m wrong because that would be a hell of a regional championship.

It's pretty clear what we are going to attempt to do. That is shorten the game. That was the goal a couple of years ago which is run the ball well and control the clock and do not turn it over on offense, and on defense, no big plays, no special teams letdowns, and see what happens. I feel "good" about this game. Most games, you kind of feel good or bad or in between (at least I do), but I feel like we really have a very good chance. I truly think if our line plays to its potential, it can create problems for Appo

I felt sure and that's a bad feeling, but literally sure we were losing to Richlands last year at their place, and we got rocked. I felt really sure we were going to beat them this year and we really put it on them pretty good. Our kids are very focused and seem very dialed in and I don't know if there is such a thing as an advantage when playing Appo, but one thing we have that few do in recent years, and that is, we have kids on the team that were freshmen and sophomores (and many of them played in that game) that beat Appo. That's a huge thing mental thing for a 17 year old. I don't know what happens. I favor Appo, but I really think the game is going to be close and our kids at least think they can win. They are not coming to Appo to compete. There are coming to win the game. It's going to take a perfect effort on our part and some help to accomplish that in my opinion, but I just have a good feeling about it. Don't know how to explain it.

It's never safe to compare scores, but human nature causes us to do it. Richlands is a good football team. I do understand they were going through the motions in our contest and they were not mentally dialed in. That does happen with teams and I truly believe the Richlands posters on swvasports when they say it. They are pretty straight up and tell it like is but still, a 40 point plus victory over a team that only lost to Graham by 20 and a very close one with Tazewell who gave Riverheads at Riverheads all they wanted, this is a good sign mentally for our kids and reinforces to them their potential if they focus. With that score thing with Richlands, I understand and get it that Graham and Tazewell are rivals for Richlands and that usually means a closer score, but that's still a good sign for us to at least allow our kids to know if they focus, they certainly have a chance and even a possible victory.

Final Prediction- can't give a score, but the game will be within 7 points and if it were not, I would be surprised and I don't mean that out of disrespect for Appo, I say that out of knowing our team is really, really good if they focus and play to their potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfool2
Radford is well coached and has some good athletes. The lineplay appeared to be pretty good against Richlands. They are the type of team that you don't want to sleep on. I can't really gauge how good Appomattox is, the competition hasn't been very good. They certainly pass the eye test, but they haven't really played anybody good. That weak schedule may come back to haunt them. I think it will be close. Lineplay will be the key to this game, in my opinion. If Radford can control the line of scrimmage on offense and keep drives going and the defensive line can penetrate and allow their linebackers to make plays, things will get pretty interesting.

Will it be broadcast on NFHS network? It doesn't show it in the listings.

Great win by Appo. Appo looks really, really good and they are going to be tough for anyone to beat. Greats season for Radford and congrats on a solid 4 year run from our seniors.
Great game last night. Hope your player that was hurt along our sideline is ok. Our staff at first acted like his injury was bad and i was pleased to see him get up and walk. Radford will rebuild and we will meet again this fall i'm sure.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Great win by Appo. Appo looks really, really good and they are going to be tough for anyone to beat. Greats season for Radford and congrats on a solid 4 year run from our seniors.
Appreciate that. I’m enjoying g all I can of my sons senior season!
You guys are a great team and I think the ball just bounced our way a good bit.

Solid job by the Raiders. It was mostly won in the trenches. The Bobcats D line had to start a freshman which just couldn't pick up that offense fast enough to keep the Bobcats in the game. the senior DEnd 56 was out after surgury and would have made a difference although wouldn't have changed the outcome. the Radford QB had another rough game. poor decisions and poor accuracy led to 3 ints. one of the 4 int was just a great play by #8. He is amazing to watch. Hard to beat a good team with 4 turnovers. Classy group of kids too. Refreshing to see that after playing Richlands.

Solid job by the Raiders. It was mostly won in the trenches. The Bobcats D line had to start a freshman which just couldn't pick up that offense fast enough to keep the Bobcats in the game. the senior DEnd 56 was out after surgury and would have made a difference although wouldn't have changed the outcome. the Radford QB had another rough game. poor decisions and poor accuracy led to 3 ints. one of the 4 int was just a great play by #8. He is amazing to watch. Hard to beat a good team with 4 turnovers. Classy group of kids too. Refreshing to see that after playing Richlands.
I saw good sportsmanship from both sides.

Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT