ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Union

oldfool2

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 17, 2019
Union appears to be peaking at the right time and Appo is starting to hit their stride against some very tough teams. Whats everybody's thoughts on this game?

Reactions: Fairlawncat
I hear that Bullitt Park is a great place to play a state semifinal game. Traveling 267 miles could be a disadvantage for Appomattox. Since only 500 fans will be allowed-250 from each school-the home field advantage is lessened. Union was very impressive winning at Graham and Central. The Raiders easily handled the two best teams from the Three Rivers District-Radford and Glenvar. I believe it will be a close game and that could favor the Bears since Appomattox has not had a close game all season. However, I do think The Raider will win and face Stuarts Draft in the state final.

Yes it is really sad that I truly believe Appo won't nearly bring the 250 max due to the PLANdemic, I think the Bears will probably pack out and then sell tickets left over tickets to Union fans from quite a few of Appo families not ready to make that trip. It could be like a 400 to 100 comparing crowd size to be honest. With that said, mentioned above, Union is hitting their stride but if they try to keep it a ground and pound I believe Appos speed holds them to 4th downs. I watched the Union and Graham game, I think Raiders can stop what I saw, well enough to win. Union needs to go deep in the play book. If Raiders are well rested by traveling the day before, get their heads right, stay #Focused on the mission at hand, don't be intimidated by the Bears entrance, keep their game faces on, play ALL 4 quarters and don't let up then Raiders pull it out. Not putting up scores but if they play with all their hearts like we have seen, Raiders advance to the States again. No disrespect at all to the Bears, much respect on upsetting #1 Graham and Central. LETS GO PO1 !!! #Focus #SmithStrong

Last edited:
Raiders have to much speed for union appo we’ll be ready and this group will be excited to play there , I am thinking that union runs the same offense as the previous yrs , just can’t see that working against appos defense that will be well prepared ! Don’t like making predictions but it’s just to much experience, speed ,coaching that makes in game adjustments. Good luck and stay safe to both teams !

Yes it is really sad that I truly believe Appo won't nearly bring the 250 max due to the PLANdimic, I think the Bears will probably pack out and then sell tickets left over tickets to Union fans from quite a few of Appo families not ready to make that trip. It could be like a 400 to 100 comparing crowd size to be honest. With that said, mentioned above, Union is hitting their stride but if they try to keep it a ground and pound I believe Appos speed holds them to 4th downs. I watched the Union and Graham game, I think Raiders can stop what I saw, well enough to win. Union needs to go deep in the play book. If Raiders are well rested by traveling the day before, get their heads right, stay #Focused on the mission at hand, don't be intimidated by the Bears entrance, keep their game faces on, play ALL 4 quarters and don't let up then Raiders pull it out. Not putting up scores but if they play with all their hearts like we have seen, Raiders advance to the States again. No disrespect at all to the Bears, much respect on upsetting #1 Graham and Central. LETS GO PO1 !!! #Focus #SmithStrong
I'm making plans as we speak to be loud and proud at BSG.

Old fool it would be nice for a fan bus like 2017, but that's a no go this year 😔. Anyways, yes Stabler, our defensive Coach Costello stepping in for Coach Smith is very familiar with what the Bears run and will have the boys ready with their reads. Gotta be disciplined and everyone do their job as 1. I will say that kid from the Bears that ran that sweep on last play against Graham for the long TD had some wheels man. Zoom... Gotta keep up with him sideline to sideline. Also when it comes to short yardage to get the first I hope Appo makes plans for that BIG Bull Dozer #44, that's a Big running back. Well on film he looked like one of those huge full backs like back in the day, not sure if he got top end speed but we better put some hats on the ball there. I'm a die hard Niners fan since the 80's so the best I can describe him as was like my ex Niner William Floyd. I'm very excited to atleast be able to watch this game on stream with some friends over. Get y'all's pop corn cause it's gonna be a show. Oh yeah, that was a ex Niner Terrell Owens celebration also lol. Never cared much for him though 😏. I just hope all kids play with all their hearts, leave it all in the field and pray safety over all the boys and may the best team advance. #FocusPO1 #SmithStrong

The Bears are really still a year away. Half the starters are sophomores. That youth has shown through at times since game 1, but they're getting it together. Just not sure they've had enough time this year. Find out soon enough I guess.

Old fool it would be nice for a fan bus like 2017, but that's a no go this year 😔. Anyways, yes Stabler, our defensive Coach Costello stepping in for Coach Smith is very familiar with what the Bears run and will have the boys ready with their reads. Gotta be disciplined and everyone do their job as 1. I will say that kid from the Bears that ran that sweep on last play against Graham for the long TD had some wheels man. Zoom... Gotta keep up with him sideline to sideline. Also when it comes to short yardage to get the first I hope Appo makes plans for that BIG Bull Dozer #44, that's a Big running back. Well on film he looked like one of those huge full backs like back in the day, not sure if he got top end speed but we better put some hats on the ball there. I'm a die hard Niners fan since the 80's so the best I can describe him as was like my ex Niner William Floyd. I'm very excited to atleast be able to watch this game on stream with some friends over. Get y'all's pop corn cause it's gonna be a show. Oh yeah, that was a ex Niner Terrell Owens celebration also lol. Never cared much for him though 😏. I just hope all kids play with all their hearts, leave it all in the field and pray safety over all the boys and may the best team advance. #FocusPO1 #SmithStrong
Dang I wanna have some friendly trash talk banter but I can't hate on a fellow Niners fan! lol

And 44, Jones, reminds me more of Tom Rathman, he even has the neck roll! lol

Raiders have to much speed for union appo we’ll be ready and this group will be excited to play there , I am thinking that union runs the same offense as the previous yrs , just can’t see that working against appos defense that will be well prepared ! Don’t like making predictions but it’s just to much experience, speed ,coaching that makes in game adjustments. Good luck and stay safe to both teams !
It's hard to tell by watching on TV, but Central-Wise has incredible team speed. 5-6 guys that are 4.5-4.6 speed, including a state champion hurdler. Someone from Tazewell didn't think they would be able to match their speed, but if you look at that game, Tazewell looks like they are in slow motion.

If you watch the first Union/Central game, the Warriors gashed us on 3 long runs in the 1st quarter with that speed, but the Bears held them in check the rest of the game.

Union lives and dies by the line, and I think that will be the deciding factor. With 3 sophomores on the OL, it will be a tall task. If Appo jumps out like Central did in that first matchup, game over. If the Bears can get 3 yards a carry, then there's a chance. Same on D. If we keep Appo's speed in front of us, we'll have a game.

Central was truly the best team in Reg D. Beating them was a huge accomplishment that I'm still surprised by. But it shows how much Union has jelled since the season began. I've never seen this much improvement in a Bear team. These kids have really become just that, a team.

Good luck and safe travels to the Raiders and their fans!

The Bears have championship royalty in that DNA, and Appo obviously has based on this years performance and the past half of a decade or even more. Union is playing to win, not to compete. That will be their mentality. It's all they know, much like Poquoson at the other end. Those kids are thinking win, not make it close. It's why Union can travel to Bluefield and to Centrals place and win.

The Bears strong point is clearly the strength of the 5 guys from tackle to tackle with the blocking back and running back hammering the ball in between the tackles and turning a 4 quarter game into what is seemingly a 2 and 1/2 quarter game limiting the touches of the opponents athletes in space. Ask Graham.

For Union to win though, they have to be perfect. Union almost had Appo down there a few yrs back, but the special teams mishaps cost them, and special teams matters. It counts. When you are playing a team that is explosive in all phases with incredible athleticism, you beat them by gashing them in between the tackles on the ground. Union should forget any sweep or wide running play around the end. It will not work on Appo. Union can win the game, but they are going to have to be near perfect in turnovers and special teams plays, also the Bears will require any points from Appo coming by making Appo drive the field and taking some time off the clock. Explosive offensive plays can be absolutely devastating if you get behind by 10 points and you are a running team. Only my opinion on the game, but I think Union makes it a heck of game against an incredibly talented, well coaches, and lazor as always focused Appomattox team.

Last edited:
At a normal time, the best atmosphere you will find for HS football anywhere near here. Unfortunately, those coming for the first time will not get to experience that this year.
We are having problems here getting info on tickets. Has Union been allowing visiting team 250 tickets?

We are having problems here getting info on tickets. Has Union been allowing visiting team 250 tickets?
When the total changed to 500, I think Union was the visitor for those games. They did get 250 for both the Graham and Central games.

For this game, prepare to get ticked off. Apparently, this is not a Union home game. It's a VHSL Semifinal, so VHSL is handling the tickets. Union just posted on their Facebook page, and it's already causing a stink.

All tickets will be sold through GoFan.co ticket site. NO paper tickets.

Each player gets a special code for 2 tickets each. Each band member and cheerleader get 1 ticket for themselves.

ALL remaining tickets will be available for sale starting Thursday at 6 pm on the GoFan.co website on a first come first serve basis.

250 total for Union, 250 for Appomattox.

Here's Union's FB post...

• Sad
Reactions: oldfool2
When the total changed to 500, I think Union was the visitor for those games. They did get 250 for both the Graham and Central games.

For this game, prepare to get ticked off. Apparently, this is not a Union home game. It's a VHSL Semifinal, so VHSL is handling the tickets. Union just posted on their Facebook page, and it's already causing a stink.

All tickets will be sold through GoFan.co ticket site. NO paper tickets.

Each player gets a special code for 2 tickets each. Each band member and cheerleader get 1 ticket for themselves.

ALL remaining tickets will be available for sale starting Thursday at 6 pm on the GoFan.co website on a first come first serve basis.

250 total for Union, 250 for Appomattox.

Here's Union's FB post...
I see so many problems with this. No allotment for band cheerleader parents. Hopefully that only applies to the Union parents. If it applies to Appo as well that is a major problem. Granted our band is not going so it would only apply to our cheerleaders. That will go o0ver like a turd in a punch bowl!!

I see so many problems with this. No allotment for band cheerleader parents. Hopefully that only applies to the Union parents. If it applies to Appo as well that is a major problem. Granted our band is not going so it would only apply to our cheerleaders. That will go o0ver like a turd in a punch bowl!!
Exactly! Someone commented, and the high school responded and said it was the VHSL's rules, and to call the VHSL.

Maybe I missed something or don't understand your meaning, but why would there be "rules" that apply to Union (the home team) and not Appomattox when it comes to allotment. All of us can disagree with the number allowed (I know we all do), but I don't see Union, Poquoson, West Point, etc. doing something against their own teams, right or wrong.

Maybe I missed something or don't understand your meaning, but why would there be "rules" that apply to Union (the home team) and not Appomattox when it comes to allotment. All of us can disagree with the number allowed (I know we all do), but I don't see Union, Poquoson, West Point, etc. doing something against their own teams, right or wrong.
Go read what was posted on their facebook page it reads like the schools have some say over who gets a ticket.

Go read what was posted on their facebook page it reads like the schools have some say over who gets a ticket.

I did read it earlier, and I wasn't being rude about it.

I guess my point was, if it is allotted 250/250 (500 being the current "rule"), why would the host team allow more for the away team? That is what I took from your post, saying I hope that applies to Union...

I did read it earlier, and I wasn't being rude about it.

I guess my point was, if it is allotted 250/250 (500 being the current "rule"), why would the host team allow more for the away team? That is what I took from your post, saying I hope that applies to Union...
Thats how I understand it as well. Both sides get 250 to dispense as they see fit.

Grrr the vhsl lol. Why they want to change things now beats me. What was wrong with how the schools were handling tickets for previous games. Dang why fix it when its not broke lol. I tried registering an account and the yahoo email i have used for 20 plus years is considered an invalid email address.

Saw this ticket update this morning...

GoFan On-line ticketing for all VHSL state semifinals and finals

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The VHSL’s official digital ticketing partner, GoFan, is the only source for parents, students, and fans to purchase tickets for the upcoming VHSL fall championship semifinals and finals. Fans can buy tickets by going to the VHSL website (www.vhsl.org) and each sports home page (https://gofan.co/app/school/VHSL) when tickets become available.

Football: For state semifinals, there will be a 500 ticket limit per event, with a 250 split ticket limit per school. Each school will receive access codes for all 250 tickets. Any unclaimed tickets will go on sale to the general public on Thursday, April 22, 2021, at 6:00 pm.

So if I am seeing this right then if appo claims let’s say 100 tickets then the rest could be claimed by the home team or at least fans other than the 250 !

The way I read it, each school has 250 tickets. The VHSL gave codes for 2 tickets per player. So if thst adds up to 100, then those extra 150 would be for Appomattox to distribute the other 150.

I could be wrong though

Reactions: Stabler1980
So if I am seeing this right then if appo claims let’s say 100 tickets then the rest could be claimed by the home team or at least fans other than the 250 !
When Union didn't use their 250 ticket allotment at Graham, they were given back to Graham and sold to the public IIRC. Not sure how VHSL will decide to do it tho. Looks like rain here as well.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Hope you guys are watering the field, I'd hate to see a dry field.

Doubt you will have to worry about that whether the fire trucks stop by or not, lol. It’s calling for crappy weather over a good portion of that state tomorrow I think. #GroundNPound

Doubt you will have to worry about that whether the fire trucks stop by or not, lol. It’s calling for crappy weather over a good portion of that state tomorrow I think. #GroundNPound
Yeah its not picnic weather anywhere in the state. Hate to see it slick as the players may end up twisting and pulling stuff.

My better half is staying home, whats the link to listen to the game on the internet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT