ADVERTISEMENT

Arby's Classic Schedule/Results - Final Day (Gate City plays @ 2 pm)

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 30

SESSION 7
12:30 PM
GAME 26: GREENEVILLE HS, TN VS. TENNESSEE HIGH, TN

2:00 PM
GAME 27: GATE CITY, VA VS. LAKOTA EAST HS, OH

3:30 PM
GAME 28: COLUMBIA HS, GA VS. DOBYNS-BENNETT HS, TN

6:00 PM
GAME 29: WEBB SCHOOL, TN VS. BEARDEN HS, TN

7:30 PM
GAME 30: NORTH MECKLENBURG HS, NC VS. COLUMBUS HS, MS

DSRPB2dWAAAnbkc.jpg

Bearden will be the only team to play 5 Games

Gate City’s Mac McClung needs 38 points today to break the Arby’s Classic Tournament Scoring Record. He has scored 110 points in 3 games this week

GC defeats a strong Lakota East team 66-54 to take the 6th place spot. Mac scored his 2000th career point in the game. The Devils go 3-1 in the Arbys and i feel confident the Devils were the 3rd or 4th best team in the tourny....just got a tough draw against a very good Mecklenburg squad to start off with. Good job Devils....represented VA well!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

Mac McClung scores 28 points in the game and led in Rebounds with 10

Last edited:
Reactions: sharkfan83
Consolation Game Final: Greeneville (TN) 61, Tennessee High 53

GAME 28: FINAL, Columbia HS, GA 63, Dobyns-Bennett HS, TN 80, DB places 5th.

DSU4W_zWsAEPT_a.jpg

Boy what i would give to see GC play Dobyns-Bennett. I think theyve duck and dodged playing GC in a border battle the past few years. Dont know that i blame them.....not much for them to gain really.

It was unfortunate that Gate City had to play North Meck in the first round - really think they could've gotten much further in the tournament.

I agree with you there. I know they were at least 5th best ahead of DB. Not impressed with them at all....they benefitted from an easier draw. Im thinking GC was maybe 4th best team in the tourny and may have suprised people with an upset had they made it into the winners bracket. North Meck and Columbus are tough though....talent and depth from top to bottom. They made a good run at Meck but couldnt get the shots to fall late when they was down by 5 or 7.

Reactions: HuffyJB
Boy what i would give to see GC play Dobyns-Bennett. I think theyve duck and dodged playing GC in a border battle the past few years. Dont know that i blame them.....not much for them to gain really.

They would gain a quality opponent...and if GC did best them what's it matter? Not like their season would be over if GC won

Bad argument

They would gain a quality opponent...and if GC did best them what's it matter? Not like their season would be over if GC won

Bad argument

There wasnt an argument in my comment....i made a statement. Alot of teams choose not to play much smaller schools, especially when those smaller schools are really good. Doesnt look good when a 5A or 6A school gets slapped around by a 2A school. If they win....well they were supposed to. If they lose its an embarassment for the school. I agree 100% with what your saying.....DB would gain alot of experience and face a quality opponent in GC and the points i made shouldnt matter one iota and are ridiculous, but sadly those points do matter and is a big reason GC hasnt faced DB in quite a few years. Actually since Jesse MCMurray was shooting 3s for GC....thats the last time i remember GC and DB facing one another.

Id love to see them play DB every year along with Science Hill. Just dont see it happening.

Yes....several teams can. RE Lee, DR, Radford, Graham, Union ( had they not lost Slagle), and several other teams im sure. Those are just off the top of my head. GC is good....but if Mac or Zac is having an off game it could get dicey real quick with a scrappy team that rebounds well

Yes....several teams can. RE Lee, DR, Radford, Graham, Union ( had they not lost Slagle), and several other teams im sure. Those are just off the top of my head. GC is good....but if Mac or Zac is having an off game it could get dicey real quick with a scrappy team that rebounds well

Even with Wes, Union was nowhere close. Don't think Graham can either. Radford, DR and maybe Lee too, but I think GCs the best.

Even with Wes, Union was nowhere close. Don't think Graham can either. Radford, DR and maybe Lee too, but I think GCs the best.

If GC would actually rebound i might be on board. But they gotta hit the boards and they need more production from role players. Teams that have 7-8 players that all contribute and play tough D and are super scrappy will give GC more than they can handle im afraid. Be another game like last year against DR. Mac put up 64 pts and still lose it in the end. That was the achilles all last year and i hope im wrong but it could be the same old song and dance this year.

If GC would actually rebound i might be on board. But they gotta hit the boards and they need more production from role players. Teams that have 7-8 players that all contribute and play tough D and are super scrappy will give GC more than they can handle im afraid. Be another game like last year against DR. Mac put up 64 pts and still lose it in the end. That was the achilles all last year and i hope im wrong but it could be the same old song and dance this year.

They have a big kid, I'm sure he will play more as season goes on. Ervin is not small either, but he prefers the perimeter. I think Ervin has really gotten better too, so I think a team like DR would have to adjust this season. Rebounding is their Achilles heel but I believe this year's team is quite a bit better than last year's.

I totally agree if Mac/Zac are having an 'off' game, then GC could be in trouble - or even foul trouble could be a problem.

I follow them very closely, like a lot of you do on here - they seem to be doing most of the scoring for the team.

Reactions: sharkfan83
GAME 29: FINAL, WEBB SCHOOL, TN 45, BEARDEN HS, TN 49, Bearden finishes 3rd, Webb finishes 4th.

Great finishes for both Knoxville teams

Dogs now 18-1, Spartans are 14-3

Last edited:
Championship Game: End of 1st, NORTH MECKLENBURG HS, NC 17, COLUMBUS HS, MS 14

DSVfbRpWkAELs47.jpg

#ArbysClassic Championship Game:

End of 3, NORTH MECKLENBURG HS, NC, 43 COLUMBUS HS, MS 40

Maxwell 3-pointer at the period buzzer to give the Vikings the lead.

With 2:28 left in #ArbysClassic championship: North Meck 55, Columbus (Miss.) 48. Falcons desperately trying to rally, but so far Vikings are holding them off.

With 49.6 seconds left, North Meck has regained control in #ArbysClassic championship. North Meck 60, Columbus (Miss.) 53. Vikings ball as they close in on their second Arby's title in four years.

#ArbysClassic Championship Game: FINAL, NORTH MECKLENBURG HS, NC 62, COLUMBUS HS, MS 53. Congratulations to our 2017 Arby’s Classic Champions, the North Mecklenburg Vikings! The Columbus Falcons take second.

Last edited:
The story out of GC Is that in Mac's 10th grade year he loved Tech. A coach there, I think coach Weber told him that he should not think about tech because Mac wasn't a good enough athlete. A year later ..buzz tried to recruit him but Mac wouldn't come back to tech.

And UVA IDK . But UVA signed a 5'9 PG. Isn't Mac taller than that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT