ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: (3A) Abingdon 6, John Battle 5

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
Abingdon takes 6-5 win over John Battle
  • Michael Grennell | Sports Correspondent
  • 9 hrs ago
ABINGDON, Va. – In the bottom of the seventh inning on Tuesday night, Abingdon High School center fielder Ethan Ketron stepped up to the plate for the fourth time of the evening.

Ketron had drawn a walk and scored in the fourth inning, but he also had two strikeouts in the game. But with the score tied and the bases loaded with one out, Ketron lofted an 0-2 pitch into left field for a game-winning sacrifice fly as the Falcons defeated John Battle 6-5.

“I was just looking for anything close. I shortened my stride, came up and just tried to put the ball in play,” Ketron said. “The game was tied, the bases were loaded, all I had to do was put the ball in play. That’s what I was trying to do.”

The Trojans scored the first run of the night in the second inning when shortstop Micah Whitt scored from third on a passed ball. Whitt would later drive in pitcher Landon Moore on an RBI double in the fourth inning to give Battle a 2-0 lead.

After being held hitless for the first three innings, right fielder Caleb Collins started off the fourth inning with a single and would come around to score on a three-run double off the bat of designated hitter T.J. Taylor. Abingdon added another run that inning, and The Falcons extended their lead to 5-2 in the fifth inning. The Trojans scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning, before Ketron’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the inning gave the Falcons the victory.

“It’s an early game and there’s a lot of things we didn’t do well. We struck out way too many times, and a lot of credit to their pitchers — they kept us off balance,” Abingdon head coach Mark Francisco said. “Their kids battled back and had a chance to take it from us, but luckily we were able to find a way [to win] there in the bottom of the seventh inning.”

Taylor led the Falcons in the win with two hits, three RBIs and a run scored. Collins finished 1-for-2 with a walk and two runs scored, while Jake Thacker finished 1-for-3 with one RBI.

The Trojans were led by Whitt, who finished 2-for-3 with two doubles, one RBI and one run scored. Moore scored a team-high two runs, while right fielder Garett Bowman went 1-for-3 at the plate with a double.

Battle will be back on the road for its next game when they play at Lebanon on Thursday. Meanwhile, Abingdon will host Lee High on Friday night. Francisco said the biggest key for Friday’s game is for the team to improve from their performance on Tuesday.

“Hopefully we’ll come out playing a little better,” Francisco said. “Learn from our mistakes today and just try to get better.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT