ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Offense

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Why does there seem to be less offense in high school basketball this season ? I see a lot of scores in 40s and 50s. Granted there are some teams putting ball in basket . Teams in Shen. Vkalley seem to be scoring more. th,an other areas of state. Dogwood teams all seem to be struggling to score.

Am I correct in my assumptions .

Altavista has been playing in the 40's, 50's, and low 60's for 10-15 years now and I'd say they have done just fine once they get out of district play.

Could it possibly be defense?

In some cases it's defense, and in AltaVista's case it is defense, most of the time. I saw a score in Roanoke paper couple days ago where Radford beat Glenvar and scored only 47 points. As for Dogwood District, scoring is really down, in my opinion. Rarely does anyone score 70 points. Other than AltaVista and Dan River, Dogwood is really bad this year. and I do mean bad.
I see a lot of Valley scores where teams score in 70s 80s and 90s. I saw one score where both team scored in 90s.

I'd say a lack of kids who are true "shooters", those who can make 3's or shots outside the paint. Just seems most kids these days don't develop a nice jump shot. They spend much more time perfecting "moves" then they do shooting. An 18' jumper won't get you on sportscenter.

Despite lower scores, I do not believe that offense is "down" at all. In many cases, team's are actually performing better with scores in the 40's and 50's. Because high-school basketball doesn't have a shot clock, offenses are afforded the opportunity to have longer possessions while looking for better shots. Under the same logic, this could also mean that defenses have improved from previous years, and are forcing longer possessions. It would be interesting to compare the stats on FG% and FG attempts to validate my argument. But anyway, I am actually happy to see high school teams get away from the quick shots/poor defense that has plagued our summer travel leagues for years. Quick possessions are necessary and practical in the NCAA/NBA, but not always for high school.

Personally I hate games in 40s and 50s. I hate teams holding the ball. Now if a team is a "shut-down" defensive team like AltaVista, I can understand it. but if they hold ball I do not like it. Give me a game with score in the 80s or 90s any day.
When ball crosses mid court, look for a shot.

HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL NEEDS A SHOT CLOCK

This would force teams to develop a better offense.

Stuarts Draft

Not that they are spectacular, but come watch Stuarts Draft. Based on what you've said, and your preference for the spread in football, Stuarts Draft basketball is the high octane offense you would like. They try to score 100, but don't seem to concerned with giving up 100 either.

Re: Stuarts Draft

As Tim said, any game with Stuarts Draft keeps the fans entertained and the refs on their toes. They toss up as many three-pointers as a team could possibly squeeze into one game, and on defense, they go full court press and try to trap the other team right away on each of its possessions, hoping to get the ball back and score themselves as soon as possible. Not only that, but they carry about 15 guys on their roster and they send in an all new line-up every few minutes.

The idea is obviously to wear down the other team physically and emotionally and hit enough of their threes to win. When it works for them, they hit unbelievable numbers. This season for example they scored 124 in a game, and they have had other games of 115, 113, and 112.

But if they run into a team that is fast enough to break their press, they can be in trouble because when you are triple-teaming someone and he finds the open man, it often leads to a wide-open lay-up. So in most SD games, the other team also scores a ton of points. For example, two of their finals this year have been 124-106 and 115-113. I guess the best way to explain it is to say that they believe they can win if they hit enough threes to offset all the twos that they are willing to give up. Of course that style of play leads to a lot of fouls on both teams, so the free throw line can often factor into one of their games.

Now in some games it can backfire on them and that usually depends on how well they shoot from three-point range. Two teams that I can think of, Luray and Fort Defiance, just killed them and scored over 100 by beating them at their own game and holding the Draft down into the 70s or 80s. Just last night, my (Riverheads) Gladiators knocked them off 84-73, but it was mainly because they just didn't hit enough threes. One local paper said they were 9 for 52, which comes out to something like 18%. Can't win many games with that kind of shooting.

They have been doing this for about four seasons now and it is modeled after the Grinnell College offense. They also do it with their JV team, so I would say they are not going to abandon it anytime soon.

no one wants to answer the question ... I will ... offense is lacking because skills are absent! Kids don't know how to handle, they think triple threat is a movie, and the havent a clue of fundamental offense. AAU breeds run run run go go go and press press press but they dont teach fundamentals. Teams from 10 years ago would kick these kids ass. 20 years ago ... the mercy rule would be invoked because it would be that bad. Defense is better because offense is worse.

That's the way to play the game . I see too many teams trying to get ball insise for easy 2. points . The. longer a team holds ball the better the chance for a turnover . If you shoot it you might score. If you turn it over you will not score.

I will try to get up to SD to see a game .

Overall the talent level is way down. Also almost every team I see tries to do the same offense. They set a screen at the top of the key and try to dribble around the screen. If that option does not happen, then they start the screen process all over again. I have seen some of the ugliest basketball this year. Kids can't shoot and don't have a clue as to what getting good inside rebounding position is. Just ugly games.

Shot clock in high school would do nothing to improve offense. It would just be more forced up bad shots and make poor offensive teams even worse. It would also make defensive teams not have to work as long.

A 35 second shot clock would work . It would force team to develop an offense. not just hold bal. 35 seconds is ample time to play defense .

I agree that for the most part offensive skills are down, and even perhaps defense\ive skills aren't what they used to be...I really don't think a shot clock in high school is gonna do anything more then make bad teams worse and...if you can't shoot, a shot clock isn't gonna help much..if anything may make it worse...the thing about Stuart's Draft, is they are a very entertaining team to watch, but, you live by the 3ptr. you die by it...they simply try and outscore the opponents...sometimes they do, others times they do not because they're not hitting ..defense wins in the long run..granted a game in the 30's or 40's may not be as fun to watch for some, but, isn't the objective to win the best way you can with what you have?? so, would u rather win with a score of say 45-39 or lose by a score of 115-112?

The one thing I see that is lacking on most teams is good or even decent foul shooting..I'll use my own Page Co. for an example...I know that at least 3 of their 4 losses were a result largely due to poor foul shooting...I really don't think kids today that is seriously...in a very close game, foul shooting can win or lose it

?Really? I would have to agree with you on your post the actual fundamental skills have been lost. I watched same AAU this past spring and just had to laugh at some of the things they are teaching, or not teaching kids. The sad part is most parents don't have a clue that what they think there child is doing is good. HR6 not sure about you "That's the way to play the game . I see too many teams trying to get ball insise
for easy 2. points . The. longer a team holds ball the better the chance for a
turnover . If you shoot it you might score. If you turn it over you will not
score. " but then "A 35 second shot clock would work . It would force team to develop an offense.
not just hold ball. 35 seconds is ample time to play defense ". Isn't the best way to score is with an easy shot? I don't see it as much as a better chance for a turnover, I see it as a better chance for the defense to make a mistake and give me that opportunity for an easy shot. I see very few teams that have the patience to hold the ball for 35 secs anyway unless it's for a last shot at the qtr. so a shot clock isn't going to make much difference maybe increase the opportunities for bad shots. Dwcherb i'll have to agree that free throws aren't don't seem to be as important as they use to, it still win's ball games though doesn't it. Agree on the defense too, if I only score forty and keep you to 39 who wins the game? Results the same as 115-112 in the win column. It's really up to the coaches to teach the kids the fundamentals whether it's for offense or defense. Come tournament time the teams left standing are going to be the ones that can demon-straight those fundamentals.

The way to win games:

Make free throws
Make your lay-ups
Rebound
Do not turn ball over
Play some defense

If a team can do these 5 things they can win at high school level.

Sounds a lot like basic fundamentals doesn't it
chairshot.r191677.gif

That is what it boils down to...do the fundamentals...teams like Stuart's Draft are fun to watch, however, they lack defensive intensity, they simply try to outscore their opponents and wear them down with their constant subbing..it worked against Page Co. in their first matchup, but, I believe Page will make the adjustments and make it a much closer game next time

Lawsy, a shot clock in high school? yall trying to make high school like de pros? thetrey be thinkin' that it be hard enough to teach dem dere "fundamentals" all de peeps here be talking about as it is. now yall gonna take any hopes of coaches actually teachin de game? and dude the college game is already in trouble what wit AAU and all dese "high-powered" b-ball factories posing as "high schools". and de pros?? what wit Kobe having trouble playing wit the rest of de team for ages and LeBron taking 50 or 60 shots a quarter - oh yeah a shot clock be zactly what high school be needing

Free Throw shooting

In high school if you hit 65% as a team that's pretty good.....
This post was edited on 1/21 2:29 PM by THEGOATFROMJMU

anudder thing yall be forgettin' is that 6-foot pass at 90 miles an hour - look awesome on the jugs gun but it make most players look like dey have hands of clay 'cause dey cant touch dat!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT