ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Mar 1, 2006
Is it appropriate behavior for an official to contact a high school female player after the game on social media and discussfouls on her best friend?

#creeper

There's not enough info in your question for anyone to make an answer.

At first glance, the answer would seem to be no. But what's the back story? Do they know each other outside the confines of a game? Were they already connected on social media? What age are the players?

If this official is friending high school kids on Facebook that he wouldn't otherwise know, and trying to talk about the action of players that they ddin't ask about, then no, not appropriate. The implication in the OP is that the fact the player is a female is part of the issue, but if all that's being done is a conversation about fouls, it makes no difference if it's boys or girls.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with talking to players about games if it's a way of helping the player understand a rule, and any such conversation that was short, informative, and ended when the point was made could be fine.

As an official, I wouldn't seek a conversation with players but I've talked to kids I know about rules, even on social media. That said, i've never sought out players on social media and don't recommend it. What we don't know is if that's what happened in this case.

What if this happened in a small town where there aren't many officials, and this guy coached the girls as fourth graders and now works their games as they are older? What if he's the youth minister at the church the girls attend?

There's a lot we don't know.

This could be a case of implications making a good person look bad, or it could be a case of a creep doing something really wrong. I suspect it's somewhere in between.

This post was edited on 3/4 1:39 PM by White hat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT