ADVERTISEMENT

Believe me now???

Dec 17, 2016
i said it 2 months ago. Lee will win the title. I have been to the last two games and what I saw was incredible. What they lack in discipline and strategy(looks a lot like AAU) they more then make up for it with athleticism. They get up and down the floor really well especially for their size. They do cherry pick a lot but with the height they have, they can afford to let a couple leak out early.

I do have a question for someone who knows a little more then I do. At the game last night, the group I was sitting with talked about one of the starters(who I will not name) getting in a fight at school, but because he was a basketball player, he didn't have to sit out the number of days others do for fighting. Not sure. Just what they were talking about.

I wouldn't anoint Lee champs just yet. Lee was humbled not long ago, by a team that I won't name. That team was aggressive and made Lee work for their shots. That same team was faster than them and just as athletic, they just lacked the size but the effort was there. Lee knew they weren't playing any of those valley from the start. That team's hustle caused Lee trouble all game. If the remaining teams are smart and Lee is their opponent; then look at the film of Lee's last loss to a fellow 2A team

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I hope that your prediction is right! Nothing wrong with making predictions, regardless of what others say. What are rankings? Predictions. Gate City started and ended the season at #1. Will they win the state title? Maybe...maybe not. One thing is for sure, it will be settled on the court and either you (Lee) and Virginia Preps (Gate City) will be right, or wrong.

I do feel better about Lee's chance than I did after their last loss to Spotswood at the end of January. Lee is playing much better in getting support on the offensive end for George and Vaughan. They are playing better defense, taking more charges, fouling less, creating turnovers, rebounding, etc... In the postseason Lee beat a very good East Rockingham team, and have blown out the rest. That's what you want from a team starting to live up to the potential they have this season.

Next up is Madison, obviously a very good team. With a win, Lee can win the East region, representing the valley district. Congrats to Spotswood, a 69-57 winner over Northside to win the West 3A region title. That could be 2 regional titles for "valley" teams (hmm AntGZee). Piedmont teams have won how many regional titles this season?

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
We in the Piedmont district don't concern ourselves with conference titles, only state titles. Come to the Dawghouse and check our pedigree. I know we can't win every year but last time I checked, Martinsville has 15 titles hanging in our gym. Granted we're home for the playoffs but we did beat Lee this year!

Lee needs to just stay focused. They've played well against two teams that they had a huge size and athletic advantage over. I'm not ready to give anybody the trophy, and like AntGZee said, they are a beatable team, especially now that we are getting to the part of the season where everyone is a quality opponent. I want to see another banner in Paul Hatcher gym, but I understand it will take playing at a high level for four quarters on both ends of the court, good strategy/adjustments, and some luck.

As a huge Lee fan...I'm not ready to celebrate a state title yet. When you have teams like Madison County, Gate City, Dan River and other solid teams left...anything can happen.

I do believe it's Lee's to lose at this point....because of how they've been playing. Bruton and Chatham would appear to be the least likely but...this time of year anything can happen. So...whoever stays focused on the ultimate prize and plays like they want it more....will be state champions.

I think Lee will have their hands full with Madison tonight in the region final. Should be a good one.

The Lee vs Madison game will have some serious implications in my humble opinion.

The loser will 'most likely' face Gate City in the State Quarterfinals.

So winning this particular game will be huge for the winner.

One more thing - no one should sleep on Amelia - they could be tough out down the road for their west opponent in the State QFs.

I agree. No disrespect for Chatham but....I think they are a much more favorable draw for the winner of tonight's Lee-Madison game. I don't see Chatham beating Gate City but....anything is possible. I think Amelia is very dangerous as well.

I hope that your prediction is right! Nothing wrong with making predictions, regardless of what others say. What are rankings? Predictions. Gate City started and ended the season at #1. Will they win the state title? Maybe...maybe not. One thing is for sure, it will be settled on the court and either you (Lee) and Virginia Preps (Gate City) will be right, or wrong.

I do feel better about Lee's chance than I did after their last loss to Spotswood at the end of January. Lee is playing much better in getting support on the offensive end for George and Vaughan. They are playing better defense, taking more charges, fouling less, creating turnovers, rebounding, etc... In the postseason Lee beat a very good East Rockingham team, and have blown out the rest. That's what you want from a team starting to live up to the potential they have this season.

Next up is Madison, obviously a very good team. With a win, Lee can win the East region, representing the valley district. Congrats to Spotswood, a 69-57 winner over Northside to win the West 3A region title. That could be 2 regional titles for "valley" teams (hmm AntGZee). Piedmont teams have won how many regional titles this season?
The Piedmont had 2 teams advance to states in both girls and boys. Both Halifax and Martinsville men's teams came one quarter short of reaching the state's which would've gave the Piedmont 4 teams. That's darn good. Idk how one can call out one's District when Lee got beat by the Martinsville Bulldogs earlier this year...Dawgs were absolutely worn out and still won. That West is no joke. Idk about Richlands and Chatham but good luck beating Dan River and Gate City. I'll go ahead and say McClung may be the best player in the state on any level. Gate City is the truth and I made the mistake of giving Martinsville the trophy back in December. You gotta beat both teams. Hell Lee has to beat Madison first lol... Cmon man!!

The Piedmont had 2 teams advance to states in both girls and boys. Both Halifax and Martinsville men's teams came one quarter short of reaching the state's which would've gave the Piedmont 4 teams. That's darn good. Idk how one can call out one's District when Lee got beat by the Martinsville Bulldogs earlier this year...Dawgs were absolutely worn out and still won. That West is no joke. Idk about Richlands and Chatham but good luck beating Dan River and Gate City. I'll go ahead and say McClung may be the best player in the state on any level. Gate City is the truth and I made the mistake of giving Martinsville the trophy back in December. You gotta beat both teams. Hell Lee has to beat Madison first lol... Cmon man!!

I wish the Dawgs would've continued in the tournament as well - I was really looking forward to a possible Lee/Martinsville rematch - I think Lee has improved since that game, and the outcome 'might' have been different, but we'll never know now.

Let me get this straight. AntGZee can make a snide remark about valley teams because Martinsville beat Lee in a regular season game, and that disqualifies anyone from the valley calling out piedmont teams, right? Are there any other special board posting rules concerning piedmont area teams I need to know?

Where in my post did I say Lee would beat Madison and go on to win the state title? Oh, I didn't say that did I sports head. Take your condescending "lol...Cmon man!!" and...

Let me get this straight. AntGZee can make a snide remark about valley teams because Martinsville beat Lee in a regular season game, and that disqualifies anyone from the valley calling out piedmont teams, right? Are there any other special board posting rules concerning piedmont area teams I need to know?

Where in my post did I say Lee would beat Madison and go on to win the state title? Oh, I didn't say that did I sports head. Take your condescending "lol...Cmon man!!" and...
No disrespect intended. Just love the debate. We all know Lee is a great team and there's no rule but let's be real, the Piedmont is probably better than the Valley. Spotswood is probably comparable to GW, Martinsville to Lee and Franklin County and Halifax to East Rock and Harrisonburg. Not to take anything away from Regional Champs but it's really worthless. 4 teams advance reguardless. It used to mean something but since the VHSL wants to give everyone a participation trophy, not so much anymore.

Reactions: pizzzzza
No disrespect intended. Just love the debate. We all know Lee is a great team and there's no rule but let's be real, the Piedmont is probably better than the Valley. Spotswood is probably comparable to GW, Martinsville to Lee and Franklin County and Halifax to East Rock and Harrisonburg. Not to take anything away from Regional Champs but it's really worthless. 4 teams advance reguardless. It used to mean something but since the VHSL wants to give everyone a participation trophy, not so much anymore.

I'm probably the biggest RE Lee fan on here, trust me - and I didn't take it that way at all.

Like you said, it's just opinions and healthy debates on here.

And after all, we're talking about high school kids playing high school sportsl

It's all good!

I'm looking forward to the games tonight, as well as next week - the best time of the year!

Last edited:
AntGZee often says things in jest. My comments are innocuous for the most part. Obviously the Valley is tough, you have Lee and Spotswood still alive with the possibility of a state title. Relax my friend and stay entertained by the post. The Valley is tough and so is the Piedmont. I'm looking 4ward to going to Richmond and watching the finals.

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've been on but it's that time of the year and I just have to chime in a bit!

First, let me say I was a tad bit surprised that Martinsville lost because I was expecting them to make another run. Love how hard those young men play and the passion they play with. Gotta love their fans too as they were passionate about their Dawgs when they played Lee.

I don't think Lee has a cakewalk but I do think they have a good chance to bring home the ring. Dan River and Gate City will be tough to overcome though. And I've seen some strange things happen at this point in the season. You have to bring it EVERY night.

Having made 4 runs at a state title and then finally winning one I will say, you need a bit of luck on your side. Kids have to stay out of foul trouble, calls have to go your way, people have to stay healthy. It's a tough thing to accomplish but the journey is sweet no matter how tough it gets.

I'm looking forward to a competitive playoff. Best of luck to all the remaining teams but as a former coach at Lee I gotta pull for the Leemen!

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've been on but it's that time of the year and I just have to chime in a bit!

First, let me say I was a tad bit surprised that Martinsville lost because I was expecting them to make another run. Love how hard those young men play and the passion they play with. Gotta love their fans too as they were passionate about their Dawgs when they played Lee.

I don't think Lee has a cakewalk but I do think they have a good chance to bring home the ring. Dan River and Gate City will be tough to overcome though. And I've seen some strange things happen at this point in the season. You have to bring it EVERY night.

Having made 4 runs at a state title and then finally winning one I will say, you need a bit of luck on your side. Kids have to stay out of foul trouble, calls have to go your way, people have to stay healthy. It's a tough thing to accomplish but the journey is sweet no matter how tough it gets.

I'm looking forward to a competitive playoff. Best of luck to all the remaining teams but as a former coach at Lee I gotta pull for the Leemen!

So where the heck have you been hiding???

LOL

It's good to see you back on here again - it's been a long time!
(since the days of "Muff" Mickens for the Lee Ladies)

You can tell you're a coach by what you just said.............

Reactions: CoachHartman01
So where the heck have you been hiding???

LOL

It's good to see you back on here again - it's been a long time!
(since the days of "Muff" Mickens for the Lee Ladies)

You can tell you're a coach by what you just said.............

I've been hiding in the gym! I have a 12-year old son that's a pretty good little player so I've been coaching his AAU team. I've also volunteered some time to help out with the boys' team at Lee.

Glad to see you're still on here holding it down for the Staunton/Lee contingent!

Reactions: pizzzzza
As a former ref observing last nights Lee/ Madison game. Coach or call the game. Do one or the other. Lee coach argued 90% of the calls made. Players on the bench #10 actually stood up on several calls. You spend more time trying to show up the refs than coaching its usually detrimental. No matter how bad the calls were, there's a way to question a refs call and way not too in order to get the call in your favor next time. Players have to adjust to the way the game is being called not vice versa. Let your fans ride the refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT