ADVERTISEMENT

Best team from southwest VA?

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
I thought it would be Grayson this year but they have a fairly weak schedule and yes they're winning but not like you would think they would be against the weaker teams they have played, they might find their groove later in the season. Galax is struggling and probably in for a long season unless the young offensive line can figure out you actually have to hit someone and block for the skill players. The defense needs to step up as well. Not sure about GW but like Grayson and Galax they seem to struggle against the mighty Carroll county cavaliers which doesn't say much for any of them. Narrows knocked off their rival Giles and have found away to win the close games which might help them come playoff time and not sure what Giles really has? Don't know enough about the far southwest VA bunch to say who will be top dog from out there but I'm sure some of you guys can fill me in.

Reactions: Raiders Radio
Region C still looks wide open. Probably get somewhat of a read next week as Grayson visits Giles. Galax and GW started with killer schedules. Narrows can score, but their D is pretty weak. Narrows has Honaker on their schedule soon. That may be a big indicator of C vs D

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I thought region d was Patrick Henrys until they lost to Grundy last night. WTF? I thought Grundy was supposed to be terrible this season

Truthfully idk if there is a clear cut best team in the West. 2 weeks ago it was Honaker but they’ve struggled against RC and Holston who I don’t feel are that great. Grayson has squeaked past all their weaker opponents. GW and Galax have gotten demolished by superior 2A schools. Fort Chiswell could be a dark horse. Giles and Narrows both seem to have decent teams but you just don’t know. Hopefully we’ll have a better picture next week since district play is starting.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Region D should go through Honaker, but may come to either Twin Springs or Rye Cove this year. The Titans are 3-0 early in the season and The War Eagles are 3-1 with a close loss coming to a tough Honaker team.

Region D should go through Honaker, but may come to either Twin Springs or Rye Cove this year. The Titans are 3-0 early in the season and The War Eagles are 3-1 with a close loss coming to a tough Honaker team.
Twin S is pretty good, but jury is still out. Combined record of the 3 teams that have beat is 2-8

4-0 Bath Co; scoring almost 50 a game; I mean no one mentioned them; maybe because of their schedule. Highly likely they will host a region game at home and that is defiantly an advantage with a long trip for basically anyone.

PM might be legit but JR is not a world beater so that’s not a “good” loss. They should contend for Region C but I don’t see them being a heavy favorite against the G teams or Narrows. Just my .02
Just my opinion but with 7-time defending state champion Riverheads moving up to Class 2 this season, Class 1 is wide open for half a dozen team to win this year final in Salem.

Have friends up in Va. they tell me in 1A Essex is pretty darn good and well coached. Seems like they have been playing second fiddle to Riverheads in past seasons. If they run double wing like Riverheads does, they just might be hard to deal with. Also tell me Brunswick might be the sleeper no one is considering. Bath is a surprise. I hear they have a darn good QB. I’ve seen some film on western teams. Just not impressed. I hope I’m wrong for my dear friends over in Southwestern Va.

Reactions: Raiders Radio
You'll be able to tell a lot more about Narrows this Friday. James Monroe, WV was last years A runner up and looking to be very similar to last year. Narrows has them in Narrows.

The west is looking pretty pitiful
The East looks just likes the West outside of Essex and Sussex. The only 2 teams in Class A that seem like they are kind of leading the pack is Honaker and Essex. Don't count out Galax. Losses only to Glenvar, Radford, and Graham, and all 3 of them are top 5-6 Class 2 teams.

I wouldn't sleep on Chilhowie. They're getting better each week.

I don't see much of a challenge this week over in Saltville with Northwood, even though Northwood smacked Twin Valley back to Buchanan County (long gone are the days of the Garden HS powerhouses).

CHS still has 3 games left that will show their mettle. @ Honaker next Friday. Home against Rye Cove on the 19th. @ Patrick Henry on the 27th. In addition to Holston and Rural Retreat (Homecoming).

Wouldn't completely rule out Fort Chiswell either. They have some talent, a new coach, and seems like the community is getting behind this years team. I think we will learn a lot more in the next few weeks for a lot of these teams. I'm not saying they are the best team, but could definitely make a run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT