ADVERTISEMENT

Bird Could Have Missed Playoffs

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
LC Bird is a state champion but if we were still playing in the old Division 5/6 setup, the Skyhawks would not have even made the playoffs...

In Division 6 it would have been all district champions leaving no room for a wild card and the Skyhawks would have been at home...

#1 Highland Springs 34.2
#2 Manchester 32.6
#3 Hermitage 32.4
#4 Thomas Dale 29.4

In Division 5 it would have been

#1 Atlee 30.2
#2 Monacan 29.8
#3 Hanover 28,2
#4 Dinwiddie 27.2

That's why the old setup was a nightmare! And the central region wanted to keep the old setup

There are positives and negatives to the new system. I just think it's interesting that a state champion would have been sitting at home under the old.

Random fun fact

Louisa Coach Fischer was defensive coordinator for Bedwell when they coached at Henrico. Just found that out.

Richmond Region 1-Loss Teams

Would you believe from 1980 to 2000 there were no one-loss teams missing the playoffs? Seems as thought it was a problem in the 70's and of course in the 2000's.

1970's is understandable as for a large part of the decade only two teams qualified for the playoffs but even when three and four made it... without winning your district, you were left out... Here are the ones from the 70's that had just one loss but missed out.

1971 Henrico 8-1-1
1972 Hermitage 7-1-1
1973 George Wythe 8-1-1
1974 Highland Springs 9-1
1975 Lee-Davis & Midlothian 9-1
1977 Highland Springs 9-1
1978 Thomas Dale 9-1
1980 LC Bird 8-1-1
2000 Patrick Henry 9-1
2003 Monacan & Hermitage 9-1
2005 Varina 9-1
2008 Deep Run 9-1
2009 Meadowbrook 9-1
2011 Meadowbrook & Cosby 9-1
2012 Highland Springs 9-1

That 2005 Varina team was undefeated until losing in overtime to Highland Springs and was loaded with talent.

Re: Richmond Region 1-Loss Teams

In 1980 my high school, Matoaca, went 9-1 and got the Dominion District spot. We lost to Bird that year when we fumbled with less than a minute to go and the game put away, and Bird scooped it up and ran it back to our 4 and scored on the next play to beat us 20-15. Lucky for us, they tied Dale early in the season and lost Varina the last week which allowed us to "back in" to the playoffs. We were all in the locker room changing and getting ready to hand in our equipment when one of the parents burst in and yelled, "Bird lost!" One of only two times I was happy Bird lost (the other being when we beat them the year before). After all, even then, my father was coaching for Bird (against his son).

This post was edited on 12/15 8:54 PM by GilliamRatings

2003 was particularly bad

after the 2003 and 2005 seasons, it's hard to believe the Central Region didn't at least expand to 6 teams, by 2012 the Region was still fighting realignment and expanding their playoffs (either of which could have fixed this problem). I do believe in the 1970's two teams from the Eastern Region (I don't remember who) finished 9-0-1 in their district. One team played and out of state game that didn't count or something like that and missed the playoffs. That was the final impetus for wild cards. At first only district champs went to the playoffs.

However, if the Central Region had done what it should have years before those schools wouldn't have ended up in those boats in the 2000's.

If they had formed two AA districts and had the AA size schools play down, and the AAA schools reorganized districts to fit what was left, many of those 9-1 teams in the 2000's would have been in 5A and would have been in the playoffs (plus there may have been more marquee match ups in the regular season and some of them might have lost another regular season game).

I should point out that I have never been an advocate of expanded playoffs of 6 divisions/classes, that doesn't mean, I wasn't surprised by the Central Region refusing to expand.

Monacan's 2003 story was also pretty bad. Bird was 8-2 and Monacan was 9-1. Bird had beat Monacan 14-13 for the Chief's only loss. Bird had earlier lost to Manchester 14-7 so Bird and Monacan finished tied for the title. Even though Bird won one fewer game than Monacan, Bird outpointed the Chiefs and took the automatic bid and with all the D6 spots being taken up by district champs, there was no spot for Monacan. It was brutal for them. The main thing that did them in was their out of district games (Godwin 8-2, Matoaca 5-5, Prince George 2-8) while Bird had (9-1 Hopewell, 8-2 Dale, 7-3 Meadowbrook) Even with a loss to Hopewell, Bird got enough points from this tough schedule (and the points they picked up for beating Monacan) to finish ahead of them in the ratings.

Re: 2003 was particularly bad

My brother was the starting FB on that Monacan team and they were very good, but that one loss killed them I remember my brother running them down the field in that Bird game and then their wing fumbled the ball going in for a td. Never saw my brother so heartbroken before as that was his Sr. season.

Re: 2003 was particularly bad

Yeah, I had a good friend, Dave Ellena, coaching over there then. Having Prince George on the schedule killing them, and Hopewell (who was 5A state champs) being so good really saved Bird.

It's hard to say 5A didn't have worthy teams from the Central that year, since they produced a state champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT