ADVERTISEMENT

Bird does it with defense.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Scoring has gone up crazily in high school football recently. I feel like I could have posted this stat in 1970 and several schools would have had streaks of over 10. Not now. Consistently shutting down opponents has become nearly impossible. Teams that have gone three straight seasons or more now holding opponents to an average of fewer than 14 points per game.

Current longest streaks of seasons where teams have allowed fewer than 14 points per game (including playoff games).

8 L.C. Bird (8.7, 3.8, 11.2, 6.8, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 9.8)
6 Salem - Virginia Beach (12.1, 13.5, 13.3, 11.6, 11.2, 12.5)
4 Lafayette (11.3, 13.3, 8.3, 10.8)
4 Clarke County (11.2, 10.7, 9.0, 11.8)
3 Riverheads (10.2, 11.2, 12.6)

Crazily, over the past 8 seasons Bird has only allowed 8.3 points per game total.

Bird has allowed fewer than two scores per game (14 points) every season from 1999-2016 except for 2008. 2008 is the aberration when they allowed 53 to Clover Hill (in a game Bird won 55-53). It is the only time since a 2004 game with Landstown in State Semis that the Skyhawks have allowed a team to score more than 29 points.

If anyone is going to end the streak, you'd have to think it would be the high powered offense of Highland Springs.

Bird has outscored opponents 561-104.
Highland Springs has outscored opponents 523-124.

While their schedule strengths are pretty similar when it comes to the top 4 or 5 they've played, Bird has played considerably more very poor teams, which probably accounts for the scoring difference.

I honestly consider this game a toss up. I don't know if Bird can handle all of the weapons of Highland Springs, but those two linebackers for Bird aren't going to the ACC for nothing, so I don't expect scoring to be a picnic for the Springers. I feel like the defending champs are the defending champs and shouldn't be picked against. However, I'm a Bird homer.

I'm going to predict it goes into overtime, with Bird losing it on a blocked extra point or something. Highland Springs 20, L.C. Bird 19 (Overtime).

I told my boss yesterday, (who is a 1977 Freeman grad) that my prediction is HS 35 Bird 21.
Both have good defenses. Bird is more one dimensional to the run. HS has so many different receivers and running backs to account for with a real good passing game and a good running game along with that massive offensive line. Last year, there was Indian River with 2 "All Everything" Linebackers, they couldn't handle the HS offense. HS won that one 35-10. Yes, this year we don't have Dortch, Anderson and Wallace. In their place there is Isiah Winstead, CJ Reavis, Billy Kemp, James Jackson, McKeiver, Harkless, Raquan Smith and Rell Coley. We actually have more weapons at our disposal this year.

HS just has too much offense to handle. HS wins by 2 tds.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Springer76 I tend to agree with you on this one even though I pull for teams South of the river. This one should quickly come down to who wins the line of scrimmage. Its no surprise that if Bird cant run, it will be a long afternoon for them as their passing game is a struggle this year compared to the State Championship teams. Bird also seemed to have issue in the secondary last week against a back up QB. I hope its a great game as you guys have a awesome program and atmosphere to watch a High School game

Reactions: springer76
I think it's going to be a great game. I know Bird and their staff will be ready and will not give up. Shedrick McCall is a beast! We can't concentrate too much on him, because they have a couple more that can tote the rock!

Bird 28-24. I think both defenses are going to have trouble but the best way to slow down an explosive offense is to keep them off the field, and I think Bird can do it. You may stop them for a series or two but can you do it for an entire game.

Reactions: mbonape1
Bird 28-24. I think both defenses are going to have trouble but the best way to slow down an explosive offense is to keep them off the field, and I think Bird can do it. You may stop them for a series or two but can you do it for an entire game.

Your thought mirror mine exactly.. Bird finds a way year after year.

Springer76 I tend to agree with you on this one even though I pull for teams South of the river. This one should quickly come down to who wins the line of scrimmage. Its no surprise that if Bird cant run, it will be a long afternoon for them as their passing game is a struggle this year compared to the State Championship teams. Bird also seemed to have issue in the secondary last week against a back up QB. I hope its a great game as you guys have a awesome program and atmosphere to watch a High School game
I almost hit my predicted score on the head!
I predicted 35-21. Actual score was 34-20

I thought about your prediction when I heard the score. Sorry I didn't get to see this one. I felt like Springs would win most of the time if these two played, just so fast and so many weapons (not taking anything away from coaching...if I didn't think Springs had good coaching I wouldn't care how many weapons they had against Bedwell). Nevertheless, I hope the Skyhawks showed that they had a little something and didn't make it too easy for the Springers. I will be pulling for HS the rest of the way for sure.

I thought about your prediction when I heard the score. Sorry I didn't get to see this one. I felt like Springs would win most of the time if these two played, just so fast and so many weapons (not taking anything away from coaching...if I didn't think Springs had good coaching I wouldn't care how many weapons they had against Bedwell). Nevertheless, I hope the Skyhawks showed that they had a little something and didn't make it too easy for the Springers. I will be pulling for HS the rest of the way for sure.
Thanks! It's funny (the title of this thread "Bird does it with defense"). They biggest key to this win for HS was HSHS's defense. Bird looked like they might win this one in the first quarter, by midway the 2nd quarter, Springers looked like they were going to pull away. then Bird brought it to 20-14 before half time.
2nd half..... HS DID IT WITH DEFENSE! It was HS's defense that was what won this one. We shut down Birds run game, made them go to the passing game. Which really netted nothing. HS kept them bottled up deep in there own end of the field most of the half while HS scored 2 more tds. HS caused all 5 of Birds turnovers....Not only does HS have a prolific offense, we DO have a very good defense to support it!!

Right, they slowed the Springers' offense for a while, but they couldn't do it the entire game!

Right, they slowed the Springers' offense for a while, but they couldn't do it the entire game!
My first mistake was parking behind the visitors bleachers without a ticket and having to make that long walk around the school to buy a ticket. Lesson learned.
Birds defense gave them a chance but they couldn't find any offense. Springers made some incredible interceptions and Coley made a great strip fumble. That dropped bomb by Bird would have been a tough catch but would have been a game changer, it was still 20-14. What did you think of the block in the back call on that 70 yard catch and run? I was in the end zone bleachers so I didn't get a great look. I think it close but the right call.I think the better team won in the end so you can't be too upset. Players of the game for me was Coley and Winstead. Good luck Saturday.

My first mistake was parking behind the visitors bleachers without a ticket and having to make that long walk around the school to buy a ticket. Lesson learned.
Birds defense gave them a chance but they couldn't find any offense. Springers made some incredible interceptions and Coley made a great strip fumble. That dropped bomb by Bird would have been a tough catch but would have been a game changer, it was still 20-14. What did you think of the block in the back call on that 70 yard catch and run? I was in the end zone bleachers so I didn't get a great look. I think it close but the right call.I think the better team won in the end so you can't be too upset. Players of the game for me was Coley and Winstead. Good luck Saturday.

@Birdfan I was at the 40 yrd line on the Bird side. He should have caught that ball hands down and that would have changed the game possibly. Hit him right in the hands and he was running into the catch. The block was questionable but it was not egregious either way.

I have to say Ashby is a phenomenal player. Bird will miss him next year. That hit he put on the HS QB was wicked and he was blowing plays up.

I do think the game could have gone different but Bird just fell behind. Ultimately HS has too many ways to score where Bird is really only elite with the power run with McCall. He is a load!

Having said that, I think HS would win 7 out of 10 times just for the sake of argument. I expect HS to roll to a state championship now. The only team that had a shot at beating them... they just beat!

@Birdfan I was at the 40 yrd line on the Bird side. He should have caught that ball hands down and that would have changed the game possibly. Hit him right in the hands and he was running into the catch. The block was questionable but it was not egregious either way.

I have to say Ashby is a phenomenal player. Bird will miss him next year. That hit he put on the HS QB was wicked and he was blowing plays up.

I do think the game could have gone different but Bird just fell behind. Ultimately HS has too many ways to score where Bird is really only elite with the power run with McCall. He is a load!

Having said that, I think HS would win 7 out of 10 times just for the sake of argument. I expect HS to roll to a state championship now. The only team that had a shot at beating them... they just beat!
They have to be the favorites to repeat .I just don't see any weaknesses with them. You still have to play the games but with their talent and experience it would be a upset if they didn't win it all. I've been watching Ashby since flag football and he had a great career at Bird. I think he is going to do big things at the next level.

They have to be the favorites to repeat .I just don't see any weaknesses with them. You still have to play the games but with their talent and experience it would be a upset if they didn't win it all. I've been watching Ashby since flag football and he had a great career at Bird. I think he is going to do big things at the next level.

This might be the most talented linebacker class in va history with the 2 Bird boys, terjada mitchell from bishop sullivan, pope at dinwiddie and the kid from indian river. Wow!

This might be the most talented linebacker class in va history with the 2 Bird boys, terjada mitchell from bishop sullivan, pope at dinwiddie and the kid from indian river. Wow!
Great group you mentioned there. If I may be a homie, my man #7 Rell Coley LB/RB, is a stud too, he was a force on our defense last year and this year. He is a good one too! (Committed to Norfolk State)

Reactions: mbonape1
Great group you mentioned there. If I may be a homie, my man #7 Rell Coley LB/RB, is a stud too, he was a force on our defense last year and this year. He is a good one too! (Committed to Norfolk State)

It was nice to finally meet you Friday night.

I came away impressed with two people from the game Saturday and that is the above mentioned Rell Coley and Isaiah Winstead. I've been to three games this year of the Springers and every game there is someone else that steps up and has themselves a game. Speaks to the talent on this team.

Yes he was pretty good too but for some reason I was thinking he was a DB...

Are any of y'all going to the Norview'HSHS game this Saturday?
Love to catch with you again... Bnape1, CRFDan, DP, Bleeding Navy! I know DP and Navy are going to be in Dinwiddie!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT