ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg forfeits Week 11 vs Salem

Second time in three years they've forfeited against Salem.

Stole senior night from their own kids. Salem has graciously allowed the JV game to be moved to Blacksburg, I'm assuming in order to give those varsity players some modicum of recognition.
Do you know why they decided to do this? I understand that they didn’t expect to win but, you don’t just quit like this and if you do, there has to be a rock solid reason for it.

I wonder if anyone there will be reprimanded for this decision.

Do you know why they decided to do this? I understand that they didn’t expect to win but, you don’t just quit like this and if you do, there has to be a rock solid reason for it.

I don't call it an "official" reason but the message relayed on FB is "Due to circumstances within the Blacksburg program...". What that means could be a lot of things. Could just be them ducking (although given what LB, Cburg, PC, and PH did how would Salem do worse outside of being malicious?), could be enough kids quit that they can't continue, who knows. There's no way it's got any legitimacy to it, not for it happening twice in three years now and only against Salem.

Honestly, and this is going to eventually happen at places anyway, they might consider shuttering the program. They've got a great sports program over there, just not when it comes to football and it might be time to just do what needs to be done and let everyone else move on. Maybe Salem could get Byrd back on the schedule or pick up another Seminole district team.

Second time in three years they've forfeited against Salem.

Stole senior night from their own kids. Salem has graciously allowed the JV game to be moved to Blacksburg, I'm assuming in order to give those varsity players some modicum of recognition.
They could let their varsity play the Salem JV and they still would not win and might even be looking at a running clock in the second half.

So let the varsity players that can go join the jayvees.
Maybe Blacksburg should eliminate football. The few kids that want to play could go to other Montgomery County schools.
They should have canceled jv game and moved those kids up . Sure they are going to get beat bad, but Salem is very experienced in not running the score up and Blacksburg would have fulfilled their commitment.

I 100% disagree that Blacksburg should consider giving up football. That’s a 4A school, recent state champs, that serves the town where VT is located. Obviously they should be able to field a decent football team.

Their coach should give up football. He repeatedly ran fullback dives up the middle despite O success Friday vs PH, his defense displayed 0 desire to actually tackle especially in space, and they kept punting on 4th down from a quick kick 7-8 yard deep punting position. All that accomplished was allowing the rush to get to the punter that much faster.

I counted around 25 players dressed out for Blacksburg at the game. I counted almost 50 on their roster. So what gives? Blacksburg isn’t even winless.

They need a coach who can develop heart and a no quit attitude. Giving up on football altogether isn’t the answer.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Latest I've heard was half the team has quit and they've been using JV players. Explains some of the recent scores.

Something is definitely concerning and wrong in Montgomery County. We've seen recent issues with Auburn and now with Blacksburg. That's half of the county's high schools.

Unless there's something I don't know about, it seems like things at Christiansburg and Eastern Montgomery are still doing alright.

Part of me thinks that football would be healthy as a sport in a county which grew 5.6% during the last Census.

But then again, we've seen the struggles of Park View up in Sterling along with Manassas Park; two schools with a good football history. And despite the population boom in Northern Virginia, they shut down their program until recently and are attempting to resurrect it. Yes, I know there's a demographic change there as well in that it's fútbol and not football that's of interest. Spotsylvania which has seen out-of-control growth in the last four decades is also seeing that with Chancellor as their football numbers are down. So it appears that no region is exempt from the problem of having football programs evaporate.

I think it's something in the culture in Blacksburg. The largest employer of Virginia Tech alumni is Virginia Tech so people are coming back to Montgomery County to live. They should be so fortunate as you don't have to go much further to see a mass population exodus.

I hope things turn around for Blacksburg and Auburn. Communities thrive when high school football is of interest. Also, these football programs also help foot the bill for other athletic programs so it's very important that they are able to field full teams to play full seasons.

Last edited:

A lot of their players quit the team. They have been using their JV players the last few weeks.

Then the coach needs to be replaced. Find someone they will play for because he isn't it. Call Thad Wells and see if he wants his job back. He did good there.
This is his second year. He's had dismal participation numbers both years. In his defense, he was defensive coordinator at Glenvar when that program turned the corner and started being in the elite programs in AA. He went to Christiansburg to take over as their defensive coordinator and that program turned around and started being a real force in AAA. That was too coincidental for for not to think he hand a big hand in it. Give him a couple years to see if the 8th, 9th, and 10th graders that come through his system are better and maybe more plentiful.

It happens everywhere. Jamestown here is an example, perennial bottom but a class 4 school. Excellent in other sports. Opening day win and blowout losses since.

This is his second year. He's had dismal participation numbers both years. In his defense, he was defensive coordinator at Glenvar when that program turned the corner and started being in the elite programs in AA. He went to Christiansburg to take over as their defensive coordinator and that program turned around and started being a real force in AAA. That was too coincidental for for not to think he hand a big hand in it. Give him a couple years to see if the 8th, 9th, and 10th graders that come through his system are better and maybe more plentiful.
Elite program in AA??? They did win one, I repeat, one State Championship, then got beat by Salem in the Regional finals at BB a few years ago, but back to back good seasons does not make you elite. Put 6 or more seasons together then we can have a conversation.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Elite program in AA??? They did win one, I repeat, one State Championship, then got beat by Salem in the Regional finals at BB a few years ago, but back to back good seasons does not make you elite. Put 6 or more seasons together then we can have a conversation.
I was talking about Glenvar, not Blacksburg. Glenvar program turned around to consistent winners when he took over at defensive coordinator there. As did Christiansburg when he went there as their defensive coordinator..

I'm sorry but if you are in year 2 and half the team quits that's a rebellion. A total lack of confidence in what you're doing. If this happened in year one I'd agree. But it didnt. Its his system now.He's got to go.

Bunch of liberals, liberal culture close to the college culture. Newsflash, the powers that be at Blacksburg actually do not want football. They would love the program to belly up. That's their goal actually. Same with Auburn. It's why more and more kids from Blacksburg and Auburn that want to play football and are good go the halfway point which is Christiansburg. Can't blame em.

Why don't they want football?

I'm sorry but if you are in year 2 and half the team quits that's a rebellion. A total lack of confidence in what you're doing. If this happened in year one I'd agree. But it didnt. Its his system now.He's got to go.
I'd agree with you if the program wasn't in terrible shape when he took over. But it was. Total poop show. Now I'd say if the 9th and 10th graders from his first year have stayed and plan to keep playing varsity, maybe he can dig out of it. If a lot those guys have quit and don't plan on returning, then maybe he should go. Now one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here, that I've seen, is if they had a team meeting and voted to pack it in this year, as a team, that's a different story. Maybe coach had no say so, or no choice in the matter.

I'd agree with you if the program wasn't in terrible shape when he took over. But it was. Total poop show. Now I'd say if the 9th and 10th graders from his first year have stayed and plan to keep playing varsity, maybe he can dig out of it. If a lot those guys have quit and don't plan on returning, then maybe he should go. Now one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here, that I've seen, is if they had a team meeting and voted to pack it in this year, as a team, that's a different story. Maybe coach had no say so, or no choice in the matter.
A head coach ALWAYS has a say so and when that is no longer the case the reality is he is no longer the head coach already. Coaching is not a democracy, it is at best a benevolent dictatorship. Anything else is just chaos waiting to happen.

A head coach ALWAYS has a say so and when that is no longer the case the reality is he is no longer the head coach already. Coaching is not a democracy, it is at best a benevolent dictatorship. Anything else is just chaos waiting to happen.
I agree. But suppose the players did hold a meeting and decide as a team they didn't want to play. Not saying that happened. But if so, game over, has no next move

I agree. But suppose the players did hold a meeting and decide as a team they didn't want to play. Not saying that happened. But if so, game over, has no next move
Why do you say he has no move? Seems there are alternatives from talking with parents to jvs to resignation as well as points in between. I think we all need more information from credible sources instead of continuing to speculate. I'm out.

Why do you say he has no move? Seems there are alternatives from talking with parents to jvs to resignation as well as points in between. I think we all need more information from credible sources instead of continuing to speculate. I'm out.
Culture there is the problem. U dudes are getting into this meeting or that meeting and the Head Coach and leadership and missing the point. It's beyond that. Most of the teachers, school officials and administrators and parents at Blacksburg High do not want football. Remove the Coach and you can be sure another one will be put in place and hired with the purpose of failing. Blacksburg has resources and they could get a good proven Coach with Blacksburgs history. They aren't going to do that. They don't want to do that. They will purposely hire an unproven coach.

They might not have a football program in 3 years. The WANT the kids that want to play football to go to Christiansburg or Radford. The administration is happy with that. They view it as progress towards ending a terrible institution thst shouldn't be around anymore.

No need to discuss why the don't want it. That would take days. It's above the Head Coach. The Blacksburg powers that be put him there on purpose, with the full intention of the program purposely failing.

So it's some vast conspiracy orchestrated by liberals that are out to get the football program??

OK!

Last edited:
Reactions: wikki
So it's some vast conspiracy orchestrated by liberals that are out to get the football program??

OK!
Probably not a conspiracy, it's more than likely a community that has lost interest in high school football and is more interested into putting resources into boys and girls soccer, golf, tennis, and cross country.

Unfortunately people take the easy route without repercussion. With the current pansy climate we live in it’s ok just to quit and forfeit, Northside did a couple of times in the recent past and they had adequate numbers to field a team. They’re should be repercussions. 2 times in tje last 3yrs to the same team??? They should be removed from the district and not be eligible for any post season play, until they prove they can field a team for the season!! That way the district teams can schedule a different opponent

Reactions: Gridiron1960

OK!
"Vast conspiracy" are your words, not mine. Shit is out in the open. It's no secret. There are many at Blacksburg High and innthe County that would be happy to see High School Footbsll go away. Simple as that. There is no "conspiracy" to it

Reactions: SWDRules
Probably not a conspiracy, it's more than likely a community that has lost interest in high school football and is more interested into putting resources into boys and girls soccer, golf, tennis, and cross country.
That's exactly what it is and there isn't anything wrong with that either, if that is what the community wants. But......call it for what it is, it is in fact what they want. The majority in power do not want football and its not a secret.

"Vast conspiracy" are your words, not mine. Shit is out in the open. It's no secret. There are many at Blacksburg High and innthe County that would be happy to see High School Footbsll go away. Simple as that. There is no "conspiracy" to it

IJS the way you presented seems kind of off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT