ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Martin

I think he would love to come back to the area. Definitely not a fan by the way but he would bring a lot of much needed discipline to a team that has a lot of obvious athleticism. I think he would be a good fit but would William Fleming give him a chance.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I think he would love to come back to the area. Definitely not a fan by the way but he would bring a lot of much needed discipline to a team that has a lot of obvious athleticism. I think he would be a good fit but would William Fleming give him a chance.
Fleming has a storied history and I think Burt would be a great coach for them. They need a home run hire..Coach Martin is a great person. He’s old school as it gets. Doesn’t bite his tongue and runs a program built on structure and discipline. He’s a legend in the Danville area , however, his move to Northwest Roanoke was a head scratcher to say the least. He was GW’s head basketball coach for uptenth years and was hired as GW’s football coach in 2012. His first and only season was a huge disappointment for GW, who won the Western Valley District that year and had a boat load of talent.. Held that historic Lake Taylor team to their 2nd lowest output of the year (21) but that GW team lost to a barely .500 Brooke Point team in the first round of the playoffs. Lot of folks thought he’d stay for unfinished business and develop Malik Clements (Cincinnati), Tim Glass (NC State), and Curtis Brooks (Cincinnati) but he left for greener pastures. Pretty sure Coach will focus on preaching and enjoying time with his family. He’s coached some big games in Danville and we all love and appreciate everything he and his wife did. Great people.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
I'm not sold on Burt Torrence heading back to Roanoke to coach WF. It would probably be nice for him to not to commute to Lynchburg every day, and I'm sure he has a heart for the Roanoke area. I just think that he likes coaching the defense at Heritage. He's going to have some good talent on that defense this year.

I'm glad to see that no one is questioning, belittling, accusing him for stepping down for selfish reasons or whatever crazy reason someone wants to come up with. Just wish the same respect could have been given to other area coaches who have done the same. Thank you Coach Martin for your service to your community and the positive impacted you have made on your players.

Reactions: lyhsports
I'm not sold on Burt Torrence heading back to Roanoke to coach WF. It would probably be nice for him to not to commute to Lynchburg every day, and I'm sure he has a heart for the Roanoke area. I just think that he likes coaching the defense at Heritage. He's going to have some good talent on that defense this year.
Maybe not but he was a good head coach. His kids live in Roanoke and his son plays football.

Reactions: lyhsports
If Torrence were to come back to coach at William Fleming maybe he could recruit Northside kids to even things up a bit. (Sorry I couldn't resist)
I've been waiting for someone else to say it so I didn't have to be the first. I posted on another theard about how I thought Northside would be good and surprise a lot of people in 2018. If he does go to WF then I reserve the right to change my prediction.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT