Final score GC 103 - Abingdon 51

Zac Ervin 24
David George 2
Bradley Dean 25
Mac McClung 40
Jonathan Sallee 4
Andrew Sharpe 4
Jon Compton 4

Just doing a little number crunching with the unofficial box score posted up above in this thread. I'm seeing where Abingdon trailed by 42 after 3 quarters if my math is correct. So....up 42 after 3 quarters apparently isn't good enough I suppose. Starters are left in and are scoring multiple buckets. In fact, the Devils tack on 29 more points, presumably the most of any quarter on the night (1st quarter score isn't listed). Quite frankly, I'd be flat out embarrassed to be a part of that, but BallisLife I reckon.

well the biggest question i have is to ask vermillion why if your up by 50 do you let your stars try useless lobs to try and get dunks, does the state playoffs not mean anything to you, how easy would it for one of those kids to get hurt, i have to question this is showing up your opponent more important, pure stupidity if you ask me

you can tell that mcclung, ervin, and dean have put the time in this past summer in the weight room, also mcclungs shooting has improved big time, but one thing noticeable, it would be nice to see if he can play any D, cause snowbirding is not going to be allowed at Georgetown, the pine will get his rear soar if he cannot D it up

At some point in the season you got to get your starters in game shape. Unless Martinville .. Radford . Dan River and RE Lee agree to give them extra rest in the 4 th quarter...... GC better be ready to play the entire game for a change.

Reactions: sharkfan83
At some point in the season you got to get your starters in game shape. Unless Martinville .. Radford . Dan River and RE Lee agree to give them extra rest in the 4 th quarter...... GC better be ready to play the entire game for a change.
Being up 50 against Abingdon isn't preparing anyone for great teams. You'd be better off letting the kids rest their legs instead of purposely running up stats. GC has scheduled good teams, it's not like they haven't played close games.

Reactions: toughy299
When did the starter play a full game? Maybe 6 games this entire season? I get that you play today and that throwing alleys isn't smart up 50 but 7 full games doesn't help you get in the shape you need for the playoff. I never said prepare. I said games shape for 4 quarters. There is a difference.

If your not in basketball shape by now your not going to be and don’t most of those boys play basketball all year around just don’t agree with argument. I believe it would be more beneficial to be able to put someone in game take minute and get sip of water and then go back in. You are only as good as your weakest player the better they are the better your team is

Reactions: GMAlum and AntGZee
If your not in basketball shape by now your not going to be and don’t most of those boys play basketball all year around just don’t agree with argument. I believe it would be more beneficial to be able to put someone in game take minute and get sip of water and then go back in. You are only as good as your weakest player the better they are the better your team is
i can assure you that when it goes to the 4th and 5th starters and the bench at GC the level of play drops off dramatically, ervin and mcclung never came out of the game last night as they stayed in and made sure the lack of talent here didn't hurt the team, they were good enough that this was not a problem

You can defend that crap anyway you want, but it isn't right. Also, don't whine if one rolls an ankle or gets a cheap shot taken while they are in up 50.

Reactions: GMAlum
If Radford had been up by 42 points, Q and Company would sat the bench in the 4th Quarter and EVERY player would have played. One day you may need that bench. Let's see how they play Pulaski today.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
It’s no secret that I think vermillion lacks class but I have come to the conclusion that he has no say In the matter. Mcclung and family run the show there and he wants the overall scoring record. He doesn’t care about his teammates past Ervin and Dean. He doesn’t want them to play and get their own success. Shows a lot of class in the fourth quarter letting starters snowbird for dunks while up 50. I agree that odds are someone may get hurt because of these actions.

It’s no secret that I think vermillion lacks class but I have come to the conclusion that he has no say In the matter. Mcclung and family run the show there and he wants the overall scoring record. He doesn’t care about his teammates past Ervin and Dean. He doesn’t want them to play and get their own success. Shows a lot of class in the fourth quarter letting starters snowbird for dunks while up 50. I agree that odds are someone may get hurt because of these actions.

I don't agree with that at all, Scotty is a proud guy and no player, even McClung, has that much pull. And he regularly feeds Ervin and Dean benefits from his drive and kick plays, I don't see him shutting out his teammates bc he knows he can't win it all without them.

GCs weakness is interior defense and depth, a big, long team that can press and run GC ragged or slow down and play thru the post could beat them, but they're really good.

Read before u post. I stated past Ervin and Dean meaning other than those two. They have a long history together and he genuinely likes seeing them do well. You are blind if you don’t see the change in vermillion since mcclung. Many in gate city know the “pull” mcclung and daddy have over the coach. He caters to their wants and it screws the bench players. Coaches only last as long as they don’t rock the boat with the important parents.

Read before u post. I stated past Ervin and Dean meaning other than those two. They have a long history together and he genuinely likes seeing them do well. You are blind if you don’t see the change in vermillion since mcclung. Many in gate city know the “pull” mcclung and daddy have over the coach. He caters to their wants and it screws the bench players. Coaches only last as long as they don’t rock the boat with the important parents.

So you're mad the fourth and five best players in a starting five aren't getting tons of shots? That makes perfect sense. When you have three players of the caliber that GC has, any points coming from anyone else is nothing but add ons. I don't believe for one second that MM has any vitriol or disdain for the kids on the team whether it's Ervin or the last kid on the bench. Why would he? They aren't good enough to take shots for him when it counts and GC obv wants MM to break the scoring record. It's that simple. All these conspiracy theories about hating teammates and players running the team are just silly.

So you're mad the fourth and five best players in a starting five aren't getting tons of shots? That makes perfect sense. When you have three players of the caliber that GC has, any points coming from anyone else is nothing but add ons. I don't believe for one second that MM has any vitriol or disdain for the kids on the team whether it's Ervin or the last kid on the bench. Why would he? They aren't good enough to take shots for him when it counts and GC obv wants MM to break the scoring record. It's that simple. All these conspiracy theories about hating teammates and players running the team are just silly.

I agree,Mac isn’t over ruling the coach or he doesn’t dislike the role players on the team. I’ve seen one of McClung’s highlight videos from this season There’s a play where he passes it to one of the role players on the team for what could’ve been a wide open 10 foot jumper. That kid kinda held the ball for a second then threw it out to Ervin for a dagger 3 that caused a timeout. During the timeout it showed McClung coaching that kid up and telling him when he had the open shot to go up with it. That sure made it see like he cares about his less talented teammates.

Totally missing the point. Not really about the 4 & 5 and not about shots. It’s about the bench, the coat tail riders who are basically gonna spend their adult lives talking about how they got water for mcclung. They get 3-4 minutes a game tops. And this is when 80% of the games are 30+ point leads by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Totally missing the point. Not really about the 4 & 5 and not about shots. It’s about the bench, the coat tail riders who are basically gonna spend their adult lives talking about how they got water for mcclung. They get 3-4 minutes a game tops. And this is when 80% of the games are 30+ point leads by the end of the 3rd quarter.

You said McClung didn't like them and didn't want them to shine, that's totally different than them not playing. There's zero evidence of your claim.

Just reminding you of what you said..I guess you just have..

I love how u twist words. I said he doesn’t CARE about the teammates PAST Ervin and Dean. Not that he doesn’t LIKE them, big difference. That means it doesn’t matter to him if they get more time in a blowout. He wants his points and dunks and wants Ervin and Dean to get theirs too. The 4&5 get time but still a non factor, just look at most box scores (especially Pulaski co. Game). No one expects the 4&5 to rack up points but if you leave them with bench players after the score hits about 40 pt lead then they could “shine” as YOU say. Also the bench players, who put in the season full of practices, could do more than high five the others.

I love how u twist words. I said he doesn’t CARE about the teammates PAST Ervin and Dean. Not that he doesn’t LIKE them, big difference. That means it doesn’t matter to him if they get more time in a blowout. He wants his points and dunks and wants Ervin and Dean to get theirs too. The 4&5 get time but still a non factor, just look at most box scores (especially Pulaski co. Game). No one expects the 4&5 to rack up points but if you leave them with bench players after the score hits about 40 pt lead then they could “shine” as YOU say. Also the bench players, who put in the season full of practices, could do more than high five the others.

How is quoting your own post twisting your words?

You said he doesn’t care about team mates other than Ervin or Dean and I said I watched him on video coaching up one of the other kids and telling him to shoot the ball when he’s open instead of passing it back out to Ervin.. so would’ve that be contradictive to your statement that he doesn’t care about them? Why would he waste his time doing that when the end result was his buddy Ervin getting a 3?

I can’t comment on what you say you saw because who knows if it’s true or not. I could say I saw him save a baby from a burning building but just words. I do know that you show my quote then misquote me to make your point. Says a lot about your logic.

I can’t comment on what you say you saw because who knows if it’s true or not. I could say I saw him save a baby from a burning building but just words. I do know that you show my quote then misquote me to make your point. Says a lot about your logic.

Youtube is available to us all.. Fast forward to 2:52

Thanks mark for showing me the error in my thinking. A full season of blowouts in which starters play until end of fourth quarter has just been justified by Mac telling a kid to shoot the ball.

Reactions: Baseball215
Thanks mark for showing me the error in my thinking. A full season of blowouts in which starters play until end of fourth quarter has just been justified by Mac telling a kid to shoot the ball.

You keep slipping away from your original post where you said Mac only cares about two of his teammates and not the others..

Sorry man, I can’t believe how wrong I was. Thank you for the video evidence. It is clear now that all players are cared for equally. Don’t worry kids, just know that if you work your butt off every day in practice from youth ball to varsity that one day you too could possibly sit on the sidelines and watch your top 3 players put on a dunk show and pad stats with 50 point leads until 3+ minutes to go and THEN you can go in and get pity cheers when you score the 2 puts that give you a hundred. #lifegoals

Gate City boys cruise past Falcons; Abingdon girls top Blue Devils
  • Johnny Wilson | Sports Correspondent
ABINGDON, Va. – Mac McClung doesn't try to get too caught up in the sensationalism of his traveling basketball show. Instead, he just enjoys himself.

But as focused on the game as he wants to be, he understands there's hardly ever been anything like his highlight reel here in the hills of Southwest Virginia.

"I don't really have a word for it,'' the 6-foot-2 senior said, when asked about people claiming seats at 2 p.m. for his 8 o'clock games.

"I just know I've always had a big chip on my shoulder to prove that people can make it from anywhere. I feel like that was what I was born to do.''

Chasing the all-time Virginia High School League scoring record, McClung netted 40 points Friday night, as Gate City waltzed to a 103-51 Mountain 7 District win over Abingdon.

The Blue Devils have now won 18 of their 19 games this season.

And just how do McClung and his teammates stay motivated for these 40- and 50-point wins that Gate City turns in week after week?

"The coaches do a great job of keeping us humble,'' said the skywalking guard, who threw down three dunks against the Falcons (8-11). "We know we've got to get a lot better [to win an elusive Class 2 state championship], but right now we're really enjoying being together out there.''

While McClung was having his typical outing, teammates Bradley Dean and Zac Ervin were living it up as well.

A sophomore with NBA range, the 6-2 Dean nailed four 3s and one dunk to finish with 25 points. He also assisted McClung on the play of the night – a lob on a 2-on-1 fastbreak that led to a thunderous two-hand slam.

Ervin, a 6-5 junior who is hovering around 1,500 career points, turned in his usual night's work as well, kicking in 24 points.

"I love playing with these guys,'' said the 185-pound McClung, who now has over 2,400 career points. "It's really a special group."

Abingdon fashioned its own 1,000-point man on this night, as hard-working senior Ean Bassham reached the magic mark on a follow of his own miss in the fourth quarter.

Bassham finished with 14 points to back baseball star Thomas Francisco, who led Abingdon with 19 points.

Gate City has been rolling everyone in the M7 all year long, yet the only folks who complain about it (at least on a message board, not sure about social media and the like) is the Abingdon folks. Same song, different verse earlier in the season.

How are those Abingdon folks going to respond later this year when the shoe is on the other foot and folks complain to them about running up the score in baseball?

To me, it is what it is. Whether you lose by 2 or by 60 (as may very well be the case tomorrow night when the Wolfpack go to Gate City) it's still a loss.

Gate City has been rolling everyone in the M7 all year long, yet the only folks who complain about it (at least on a message board, not sure about social media and the like) is the Abingdon folks. Same song, different verse earlier in the season.

How are those Abingdon folks going to respond later this year when the shoe is on the other foot and folks complain to them about running up the score in baseball?

To me, it is what it is. Whether you lose by 2 or by 60 (as may very well be the case tomorrow night when the Wolfpack go to Gate City) it's still a loss.

I'm not a Falcon guy but I do think being up 50, empty the bench. No need for starters to be in there that late, let the other kids who bust their asses too see the court some.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
I hate that it appears I am from abingdon. I am Scott co. I am closer than u would like to know. I have watched gate city play 7 games this year. This just happened to be the game I witnessed with biggest lead and the most ridiculous show of running up the score instead of playing the bench players. I have contact with many people who have ties to the team so not just making stuff up.

I hate that it appears I am from abingdon. I am Scott co. I am closer than u would like to know. I have watched gate city play 7 games this year. This just happened to be the game I witnessed with biggest lead and the most ridiculous show of running up the score instead of playing the bench players. I have contact with many people who have ties to the team so not just making stuff up.

So people with axes to grind and you wonder why some question the validity of some of your statements........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT