ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS BB: R E Lee - Staunton 110 Stuarts Draft 96 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Nick Lasem hits a Cougar 3 and they are only down 8 after one period. 26-18

Lee has biggest lead of contest at 45-31 with an alley-pop from Napier to Vaughn but a hanging on the rim Technical foul makes it short lived. A 2nd T less than a min later and he is done for the night. 2:09 P2

The crowd intensifies toward the end of the half but Cougars hit the locker room down 58-43.

Jalen Henderson picking up the slack w 4 treys and 14 pts for Leemen

Ruiz-Haynes leading all scorers w/ 17 of the Cougars 43 pts in the first half.

Vaughan out of the game with two techs in the 2nd quarter. First came after he hung on the rim after a dunk. Second with 2:09 left for saying something to the ref after he was fouled driving to the basket.
The crowd intensifies toward the end of the half but Cougars hit the locker room down 58-43.

Jalen Henderson picking up the slack w 4 treys and 14 pts for Leemen
Vaughan 17, Henderson 15 for Lee
Ruiz-Haynes 17 for Draft

Vaughan is going to have to learn to control his emotions this season - Lee can't afford to have him on the bench because of mental mistakes.

Vaughan is going to have to learn to control his emotions this season - Lee can't afford to have him on the bench because of mental mistakes.
Yes. He was frustrated because he felt he was fouled a few times rebounding missed shots. Got hit and then called for traveling.

Mark Rodgers with the rare 4-pt play hitting the 3 and his FT 68-50 Lee 5:35 P3

This will be a test for Lee's depth and how well they can play without Vaughan on the court for more than half the game.

This will be a test for Lee's depth and how well they can play without Vaughan on the court for more than half the game.
Yes. They have played a dozen players so far. Vaughan will be rested for tomorrow night's game at East Rock!.lol

Jalen Henderson making it his night - now w 20 and Leemen up 74-50 4:38 P3

I predicted in another thread that they would hit 120 vs Draft - I may not be that far off!
(And that would include Vaughan playing more than just half the game)

This is probably a blessing in disguise for Lee down the road....

Dontell Kelly w a 3 PT play and Lee extends to an 81-50 lead 2 m left in P3.

Lee will head into final frame w an 86-60 lead - every player has got min for the Leemen and the starters are likely done for the night

Mark Rodgers w back to back 3s for Draft still down 24 though w 5:34 left.

Napier w the put in and Lee hits the century mark w 4:20 left 100-75

Ruiz-Haynes with an 8 PT flurry for the Cougars 104-85 2:54 left

Lee 110 Draft 96

It really wasn't that close, with Lee opening a 30 point lead, 80-50 near the end of the 3rd period, then went deeper to the bench and coasted. Henderson with 25 and Vaughan 17 led Lee, who had 6 players score 10 or more points. Ruiz-Haynes scored 27 for Draft.

Reactions: pizzzzza
If Vaughan sits tonight at East Rock....it will be a test for Lee's depth against a good team. Lee seems to have a deep bench and Henderson was impressive. East Rock twice in 72 hours should be interesting. Plus Lee heads to rival Waynesboro next Thursday.

The local paper, which is to say the Waynesboro paper, the ONLY one covering high school basketball in the area this year, said that league officials would make a decision today. So that would seem to imply that it is not an automatic thing.

(Staunton News Leader Article)
Joe Pittman

Henderson shines as Leemen throttle Cougars

STAUNTON - A breakout performance can come in a basketball game at predictable times, like having the hot hand when every shot seems to fall, or having to step up when a teammate goes down with an injury.

For Jalen Henderson and the Robert E Lee basketball squad, it came under a different kind of circumstance Friday night in a 110-96 win over Stuarts Draft.

Lee’s Jarvis Vaughn seemed on track for a highlight game of his career, rattling off five of the Leemen’s first eight of the contest. He would hit double-digit scoring less than five minutes into the game, but in the second period a bizarre sequence sent him to the locker room instead.

After slamming home an alley-oop from teammate Akadeon Napier, Vaughn was whistled for a technical foul after hanging and then pulling up on the rim. Less than a minute later he drew another technical for arguing a referee’s call. The crowd in the Hatcher gym became vocal on both sides as the referees conferred with the coaches.

Looking for another player to step up and take over the game, junior Henderson answered the call, hitting four 3-point baskets as part of 15 points in the first half and a 25-point game

“We just knew that without our biggest scorer that we had to take it up a notch,” Henderson said.

Henderson picked up where Vaughn left off, adding another 10 points in the third period helping the Leemen pull away to an 86-60 lead at the end of the period.

With Henderson and the rest of the Lee starters building the cushion over Draft, Lee interim coach Terrell Mickens went to his bench as every player in uniform saw minutes.

After the game, Mickens was impressed with Henderson’s performance, but also pointed out that the depth his team showed Friday night was what they worked on.

636507935627436538-DSC-0019.jpg

“We’ve got fifteen guys and I believe all of them can play," Mickens said. "From the first guy to the fifteenth guy, putting them in the game, the train don’t stop. That’s how we coach, that’s how we practice, that’s how we play.”

The win keeps Lee undefeated on the season. Five other Leemen in addition to Henderson had double-digit scoring efforts. For the Cougars, Antonio Ruiz-Haynes finished with a game-high 27 points.

636507935621040497-DSC-0052.jpg

Stuarts Draft's Antonio Ruiz-Haynes brings the ball into the forecourt as Robert E. Lee's Ethan Vest moves to defend during the first half of their Shenandoah District boys basketball game on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton, Va. The Leemen remained unbeaten with a 110-96 victory.(Photo: Tom Jacobs/The News Leader)

Following the contest, Henderson was unsure how many points he finished with. When informed he had 25 points for the contest, it sunk in a bit, and when asked if it was the most he had in a game he smiled and didn’t have to think long for an answer.

“By far," said the Ridgeview Christian transfer.

The Leemen return to action Saturday against East Rockingham. Stuarts Draft will host Riverheads on Tuesday.

636507935668776803-DSC-0038.jpg

Robert E. Lee's Jayden Williams drives to the basket as Stuarts Draft's Colin Williams moves to defend during the first half of their Shenandoah District boys basketball game on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton, Va. The Leemen remained unbeaten with a 110-96 victory.(Photo: Tom Jacobs/The News Leader)

pizzzzza, gotta go w/ longtimerhsfan on this.

The News Leader has gone down the tubes. The article you posted wasn't in my Saturday paper. It wasn't in my Sunday paper, either.

This past football season had no Friday night football articles in the News Leader's Saturday editions. There would be some articles in the Sunday edition. The News Leader didn't send reporters to some of the Lee away games. Other sports have been completely ignored. Lee & Wilson played a big regional volleyball match, there was no story, & no score, published in the paper. I haven't seen a single Lee girls' basketball game covered in the News Leader this season. The News Leader won't even put in the district standings of any winter high school sports.

The Friday paper had a big article with the headline referencing Riverheads & Fort Defiance girls' basketball. I thought it would be about the Wednesday game (that wasn't covered in the Thursday paper). The only words that directly addressed the game were "Following a 38-34 road victory, Riverheads fans saw what the future may hold ..." one coach's quote "Tonight just wasn't where it needed to be energy-wise", & the other coach's quote "It was a great defensive effort." There was not a single word written describing the action, providing the name of a single player, informing the reader of scores throughout the game or who scored in the game, etc. I wonder if the reporter was actually at the game, or just got some quotes over the telephone in order to add to an article that went on to talk about practice, the past, & the future.

The News Leader has a 5:00 pm deadline - why? - because it now has its papers printed in Harrisonburg by the Daily News Record. The Staunton paper has to be finished before the Harrisonburg newspaper can be printed. Up until a couple of weeks ago, you could go by the News Leader office at 11:00 pm, & see the papers being put out in the alley for pickup by the delivery people. You can't cover last night's games with a 5:00 pm deadline. (The paper did hold open a space to list the prior night's scores (only) during football season.)

Of course, it's hard to write about the games when you don't have reporters. Steve Cox, Hubert Grim III, & William Meade have all left the Leader for The Waynesboro News Virginian - a newspaper that actually covers high school sports, & publishes its coverage in the next morning's edition (along with district standings, which the News Leader won't provide).

The News Leader has turned its focus to feature articles instead of sports coverage. It will print a story that doesn't need to be printed the next day, with a "human interest" goal, preferably one with a provocative sex angle. There have been recent front page stories dealing with transsexuals, a sex changed individual, & a Waynesboro HS "Gay Straight Alliance" club. There was a recent story about a former Lee girls' basketball star who had come out of the closet, married another woman, and is living in Florida. (The paper won't provide coverage for the Lee girls' team, but goes head over heals for a sex related story of a former player who lives over a thousand miles away!)

The News Leader is trying to become a digital product, while cutting back on its printed presence. The newspaper industry is suffering - but a rural area like Staunton/Augusta County is not going to switch from paper to digital. The paper is losing (and not replacing) its writers, has a ridiculous deadline, won't provide the local coverage its readers want (instead relying on USA Today & Washington Post fillers, feature articles that don't interest its clientele, and doing its best to create controversy by demanding a change to the local high school's name). The News Leader just sold its building, & announced it would be renting a portion of it from the new owner. The future does not look good.

Last edited:
Black Snake - Oh I wasn't trying to take sides on this one.

I totally agree that its hard to find the local results in the Staunton News Leader - unlike the old days.

I wasn't even aware that the article about Lee/SD wasn't in the newspaper - how strange.

I don't get the actual paper - I look at online editions of the Staunton, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, Charlottesville and Roanoke papers most of the time.

But I can feel your frustration.

Thank goodness for twitter and online papers!

Black Snake - Oh I wasn't trying to take sides on this one.

I totally agree that its hard to find the local results in the Staunton News Leader - unlike the old days.

I wasn't even aware that the article about Lee/SD wasn't in the newspaper - how strange.

I don't get the actual paper - I look at online editions of the Staunton, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, Charlottesville and Roanoke papers most of the time.

But I can feel your frustration.

Thank goodness for twitter and online papers!

And I'm not trying to pick a bone with you. I'm aware of your local ties, & love for local HS sports - but didn't know if you were aware of the NL's deterioration.

I stopped getting the Staunton paper early last year. I now go from funeral home website to funeral home website on a daily basis to find out who died, which was the only reason I kept taking it as long as I did. A couple of different things kept me from attending football games last fall,same with basketball season so far. Pizzzzza and LongtimeRHS fan have given enough information on here to help me at least have some idea who is doing what, so thanks to both of you guys.

Hubert Grimm III is doing a good job with Lee coverage at the Daily Progress in Waynesboro. They have a lot of good coverage of area sports including Lee. I wish the NewsLeader would get back to what made them a good paper but...social issues and stirring the political pot are more important it seems.

2 Technicals against Draft on Friday and 1 against Page on Wednesday. He can totally dominate a game.....but he has to be on the floor for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT